Amazon trying to court youtubers?

Sammael

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/10/11648158/amazon-video-direct-service

It looks like amazon is releasing a competing service to youtube called "amazon video direct."

https://videodirect.amazon.com/home/landing

The play seems to focus on giving more ways to earn revenue from their service than youtube.  From the article:

Amazon is offering a variety of ways for creators to earn money, including royalties through streaming by Prime members, and revenue sharing through rentals, purchases, subscriptions, and ad impressions.

Ads were mentioned in the article above and they stated content creators would get a cut of the ad revenue, I assume the cut will be larger than what youtube gives.

Linus Media Empire might be expanding even more now, youtube, vessel, and now potentially amazon video direct.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

This will only ever serve as a secondary platform as it is behind a pay wall. Expect this to function similar to vessel.

3 minutes ago, CtW said:

This will only ever serve as a secondary platform as it is behind a pay wall. Expect this to function similar to vessel.

They mentioned ad revenue in the story so I think it might be an open viewing platform where there is more of a mix of revenues from ads or prime memberships or direct sales generated from the clicks.   Actually, does youtube share any of the ad revenue with youtubers?  Or is the revenue given to them SOLELY based on clicks to buy content?  If they got  cut of the ad revenue, whether the person viewing bought or clicked something or not, that could really pad the bottom line.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Yeah listen: have a decent DMCA policy that respects fair use and many big hitters will follow given the state of things. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

inb4 linus starting an amazon exclusive xD  #PayWall

Details separate people.

Amazon trying to court YouTubers?

Courting, as in "to be involved with (someone) romantically, with the intention of marrying"?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Just now, ThinkWithPortals said:

Amazon trying to court YouTubers?

Courting, as in "to be involved with (someone) romantically, with the intention of marrying"?

Corporations are people too you know, so why shouldn't Amazon have someone to love?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Corporations are people too you know, so why shouldn't Amazon have someone to love?

So is Google the unfaithful one who's involved with every other corporation one way or another?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 hour ago, Sammael said:

They mentioned ad revenue in the story so I think it might be an open viewing platform where there is more of a mix of revenues from ads or prime memberships or direct sales generated from the clicks.   Actually, does youtube share any of the ad revenue with youtubers?  Or is the revenue given to them SOLELY based on clicks to buy content?  If they got  cut of the ad revenue, whether the person viewing bought or clicked something or not, that could really pad the bottom line.

Since Adsense was introduced, youtubers have been paid a portion of the ad revenue (55% i believe) on each view. Given that youtube's definition of a view has changed, channels with longer and more frequent videos, like let's play channels, have become more profitable, leading to an increase in that type of content.

Imo this may be a good move for Amazon. Cant say for certain if it will be behind a paywall similar to vessel but it will open up more viable revenue for LMG if they decide to move into this as well. Linus has said in interviews he not opposed to expanding into other areas that would give him more coverage. 

Linus is after all in the video industry. 

I can see Amazon taking on YouTube directly with both advertised and pay venues like YouTube, Vessel and Twitch have set up.

I guess we will see. 

Curious as to what @LinusTech & @Slick take on this is. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Imo this may be a good move for Amazon. Cant say for certain if it will be behind a paywall similar to vessel but it will open up more viable revenue for LMG if they decide to move into this as well. Linus has said in interviews he not opposed to expanding into other areas that would give him more coverage. 

Linus is after all in the video industry. 

I can see Amazon taking on YouTube directly with both advertised and pay venues like YouTube, Vessel and Twitch have set up.

I guess we will see. 

Curious as to what @LinusTech & @Slick take on this is. 

And this is why I call it Linus Media Empire, Linus is trying to play innocent with the "Group" title, but he wants to be the new darth sidius and take over the world.

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Great but they have to consider the fact that end users want ease of access to be watching on Amazon frequently. 

How would they contend with Google's integration and server reach? 

Where I live in South East Asia we have cheap gigabit internet but Vessel still loads like arse. That on its own sufficient to put me off, let alone other issues and a sub fee? 

Amazon is behind amazon web services, I am pretty sure they are one of if not THE biggest web servers in the world.  They took on twitch and that actually made it kind of trivially easy to solve twitches distribution issues because of amazons scale.

As for integration, that remains to be seen, who knows if they will ever get the same reach.  I still think there is virtue in being one of the first major video platforms and that will carry youtube a long way for years if not decades to come.  But that won't stop Linus from also jumping on the amazon train if it leads to more money and pink lambos.

On 5/11/2016 at 8:54 PM, Sammael said:

And this is why I call it Linus Media Empire, Linus is trying to play innocent with the "Group" title, but he wants to be the new darth sidius and take over the world.

I have been in Linus' position before and even though he has said what he did, when opportunities come up via offers like this, sometimes it is hard to refuse especially if those offers allow him to expand his monetary profit so he can lower his overhead and/or increase his employee pay or higher on needed staff.

I think you are being a bit pessimistic about Linus' business plan, not saying I have any idea of what it is though just that if I was in his position I would attempt to make these calls with as much control being on my side of things as much as possible so the viewer has the advantage over the investor, in this case being Amazon or Youtube/Google.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Technically vessel is not behind a paywall.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

6 hours ago, thekeemo said:

Technically vessel is not behind a paywall.

Technically, it is.