Should I upgrade to a 1080?

Go to solution Solved by App4that,

No, a 390 is an awesome card. Wait until the Polaris 10 cards hit and you know their performance to decide. Probably late June.

6 hours ago, BunnyHunter67 said:

Say I am running games in 1080p. How long should I expect my 390 to run every game at max settings (if I can even do that now)? Am I just underestimating my 390?

My first question is what resolution do you run your games on? At 1080p, unless on a 144hz monitor, a  GTX 1080 is just far too much overkill as a 390 is more than enough for the next two years. You wont get everything on Ultra but you will be close enough where that extra detail will not make any real major difference.  The 1080 is a card meant for higher resolution displays/Ultrawide and VR. Its breaking into an enthusiast realm where lots of money will be spent on the card and monitors to showcase it. 

Right now I have a GTX 980 Ti and a 3440x1440p display. When I first got the 980 Ti I was on a 2560x1080 monitor and was able to put pretty much everything on Ultra but it did not look that much better than what my 970 was displaying. Once I got the 3440x1440 I was able to see the full power of my 980 Ti. 

Finally I would say is the price worth it for you? Do you have alot of disposable income available where you can afford this? Is that money worth being spent on a card that wont be able to really show its full potential?  If you are on a budget and will struggle then I would say no.  Dont forget a brand new 390 costs $300 right now. You will probably get $200. 

CPU: Ryzen R7 1800x (4.0GHz) | AIO: Master Liquid Pro 240 | MOBO:  MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

RAM:  Gskill TridentZ RGB 3200(16gb) | GPU: Evga FTW ACX  3.0 GTX 1080(2x)

SSD: Samsung Evo 250gb | HSSD: Seagate 2TB | Case: InWin 303 Black | PSU: Evga 210 1000w

Honestly, I'd wait for the 1080Ti and AMD Vega 10 to drop.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

7 hours ago, BunnyHunter67 said:

Say I am running games in 1080p. How long should I expect my 390 to run every game at max settings (if I can even do that now)? Am I just underestimating my 390?

3 to 5 years...

You may not even need the 2xxx series in 2017...  Look to upgrade in 2018 or later...

If DX12 takes off in a big way and you have a good multi-core CPU, perhaps even longer...

7 hours ago, App4that said:

That's why you see them used so much... They are not the best, but they will work. If someone asked which to buy, of course I'd tell them to spend a little extra for a better PSU, but overcompensating and having people replace a perfectly fine PSU because reasons, well it's been covered by several professional builders as poppy cock.

That's not an excuse, popularity doesn't justify pairing something not meant for a GTX 1080/GTX 1080Ti rig - I've listed my reasons above. On top of that, think about the amount of people who use that PSU with $600 GPUs - it's a small percentage. Hell, it shouldn't be paired with that R9 390. I'd attribute the popularity to fact that when people see the name 'Corsair', they think it's a great PSU. That low price also helps. The fact of the matter is that if you have a high end GPU, you can afford to get a decent PSU at the very least.

If you're planning to stick with a cheap PSU in the long run, you're not going far with those low rated capacitors. 3 year warranty doesn't help either.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

4 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

That's not an excuse, popularity doesn't justify pairing something not meant for a GTX 1080/GTX 1080Ti rig - I've listed my reasons above. On top of that, think about the amount of people who use that PSU with $600 GPUs - it's a small percentage. Hell, it shouldn't be paired with that R9 390. I'd attribute the popularity to fact that when people see the name 'Corsair', they think it's a great PSU. That low price also helps. The fact of the matter is that if you have a high end GPU, you can afford to get a decent PSU at the very least.

If you're planning to stick with a cheap PSU in the long run, you're not going far with those low rated capacitors. 3 year warranty doesn't help either.

I'm not arguing it being better to have a higher quality power supply, I'm arguing that there is no need to fix something that isn't broken. A CX600 isn't broken, it's just not that great. People talk **** about my RM750 yet here I am after 3 graphics cards later 2 of which were in crossfire. If you want to talk about risks, do you wear a static strap? More people zap components than CX600's spontaneously combust. Yet I bet you don't wear a static strap when you work on your rig.

It's better to get a higher quality power supply because of the obvious reasons, if someone didn't when they have to replace is sooner rather than later because of obvious then that's when they should upgrade.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

12 minutes ago, App4that said:

I'm not arguing it being better to have a higher quality power supply, I'm arguing that there is no need to fix something that isn't broken. A CX600 isn't broken, it's just not that great. People talk **** about my RM750 yet here I am after 3 graphics cards later 2 of which were in crossfire. If you want to talk about risks, do you wear a static strap? More people zap components than CX600's spontaneously combust. Yet I bet you don't wear a static strap when you work on your rig.

It's better to get a higher quality power supply because of the obvious reasons, if someone didn't when they have to replace is sooner rather than later because of obvious then that's when they should upgrade.

And wait until it inevitably splutters out and fails? You might as well upgrade the PSU as well as the GPU. I'd rather get a new PSU now while it still works and not have to deal with the pain of replacing it when the time comes.

BTW, the RM750 isn't shit. It's just overpriced for its quality. By all means, it's a decent PSU and these 'people' you talk about have no clue what they're talking about.

No, I don't. ;)

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

And wait until it inevitably splutters out and fails? You might as well upgrade the PSU as well as the GPU. I'd rather get a new PSU now while it still works and not have to deal with the pain of replacing it when the time comes.

BTW, the RM750 isn't shit. It's just overpriced for it's quality. By all means, it's a decent PSU and these 'people' you talk about have no clue what they're talking about.

No, I don't. ;)

Perfect world, I completely agree with you. I need more storage so I'll upgrade my 980ti to 1080 SLI while I'm at it LOL.

It shocks me how many people run CX600s, like they fell from the sky or something. If they are as bad as their reputation implies they would be an explanation to global warming. If the OP has the money I completely support changing it our for a Seasonic, not my impression though.

40 minutes ago, App4that said:

Perfect world, I completely agree with you. I need more storage so I'll upgrade my 980ti to 1080 SLI while I'm at it LOL.

It shocks me how many people run CX600s, like they fell from the sky or something. If they are as bad as their reputation implies they would be an explanation to global warming. If the OP has the money I completely support changing it our for a Seasonic, not my impression though.

Eh, he's getting the 650 GS so that's that I guess.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, App4that said:

Do you think I would get more quality and longevity out of a Seasonic for around the same price?

3 minutes ago, BunnyHunter67 said:

Do you think I would get more quality and longevity out of a Seasonic for around the same price?

Seasonic is a safe bet, I'm not aware of them making a bad power supply. I'm a EVGA guy, fanboy reasons. Got my Corsair before I was turned. And I'm cheap.

1 hour ago, BunnyHunter67 said:

The EVGA GS is basically a SeaSonic PSU so nah, you're good.

Spoiler

If you can find a 1080 you mean they won't be $599 at launch only the founders edition card $699 since its the first batch of cards and be sold out everywhere after 2-4 months you will see the "Founders Edition" magically become $599 MSRP reference card good scheme whoever thought of it at Nvidia the actual buyers have no clue that is going to happen.

19 hours ago, BunnyHunter67 said:

To give you a bit of perspective. My HD7970Ghz card is running the latest titles on a 1440P monitor, your 390 should do you well for quite some time. Skipping a few generations saves you money and when you do upgrade, you get to notice a bigger difference and your money spent is more satisfying. I have been waiting for the smaller node jump for quite some time, we should see a great performance increase by the 2nd line of enthusiast cards on the 16-14nm process. Don't get caught up in having an "enthusiast" setup, you can typically have the same experience at 2/3 or even half the cost with lesser hardware. I tend to do a big build every 4-6 years, for instance I am running an i7-5930k now and I jumped up from an i7-920. I have seen people waste a lot of money buying up each generation of cpu and video card just to have that extra 5-10% performance increase when my old hardware still keeps up thanks to overclocking and picking and choosing good components. 

5 minutes ago, IGJoe2192 said:

To give you a bit of perspective. My HD7970Ghz card is running the latest titles on a 1440P monitor, your 390 should do you well for quite some time. Skipping a few generations saves you money and when you do upgrade, you get to notice a bigger difference and your money spent is more satisfying. I have been waiting for the smaller node jump for quite some time, we should see a great performance increase by the 2nd line of enthusiast cards on the 16-14nm process. Don't get caught up in having an "enthusiast" setup, you can typically have the same experience at 2/3 or even half the cost with lesser hardware. I tend to do a big build every 4-6 years, for instance I am running an i7-5930k now and I jumped up from an i7-920. I have seen people waste a lot of money buying up each generation of cpu and video card just to have that extra 5-10% performance increase when my old hardware still keeps up thanks to overclocking and picking and choosing good components. 

^ This is all so much very good advice...

My main machine is a i7-4770k on a Z87-Pro motherboard...  I'm not upgrading to Skylake, I won't be upgrading to Kaby Lake...  I might even skip Cannonlake...  we'll see what comes at 10nm... :)  Maybe Tiger Lake after that! :)

On 10-5-2016 at 6:42 AM, BunnyHunter67 said:

ive been told the cx600 is decent. If im not running out of watts is there any need?

Since the R9 390 is a 300W TDP card and the 1080 is rated at 180W tdp... I'd say you're good !