Should I upgrade to a 1080?

Go to solution Solved by App4that,

No, a 390 is an awesome card. Wait until the Polaris 10 cards hit and you know their performance to decide. Probably late June.

Current setup. i5 4690k, 16 gigs of ripjaws x ddr3, r9 390 nitro 8 gig version, cx 600 PSU, z97 g55 sli by msi. First off I know a 1080 is complete overkill for now. But I just really am wanting to be able to play games like battlefield 1 on ultra and be able to record it. I also am just wanting to future proof my gpu for a long while. Then I can focus on upgrading my cpu and such. The only reason that I am considering upgrading to the 1080 is that I could sell my 390. I am still fuzzy on a few things. How much should I sell my 390 card for. (ive only used it for a few months) and should I expect to be able to find a third party 1080 (like zotac for example) for the 600 dollar price point the default card is at. Or should I expect them to cost more? And if so how much more.  Thankyou  for the advice and sorry for the multi question and somewhat confusing post. :D

No, a 390 is an awesome card. Wait until the Polaris 10 cards hit and you know their performance to decide. Probably late June.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

My previous card was a 270x. I have been wanting to switch to nvidia for ever. But the 390 compared to the 970 made me sadly go with amd again. I would greatly benefit from features like shadow play. Could the Polaris cards be that much better than the 1080 and 70?

Either way, if you're gonna upgrade, grab a better PSU before doing so.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, BunnyHunter67 said:

My previous card was a 270x. I have been wanting to switch to nvidia for ever. But the 390 compared to the 970 made me sadly go with amd again. I would greatly benefit from features like shadow play. Could the Polaris cards be that much better than the 1080 and 70?

You should really check out AMD's Rapter thing then.  It does what Shadow play does and then some.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Either way, if you're gonna upgrade, grab a better PSU before doing so.

ive been told the cx600 is decent. If im not running out of watts is there any need?

The only leak on Polaris 10 is that at 800mhz it equals a 390x. Now AMD also shrunk their die so expect higher overclocks than on your Hawaii GPU. Pascal hits 2.2GHz easy so guess from the hip 1500-1600 MHz is a conservative estimate. That's Near FuryX level performace for 300us. I'd wait. And the grass isn't greener on team green.

Your PSU is fine. Everyone likes to go overboard on power supplies.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

The only leak on Polaris 10 is that at 800mhz it equals a 390x. Now AMD also shrunk their die so expect higher overclocks than on your Hawaii GPU. Pascal hits 2.2GHz easy so guess from the hit 1500-1600 MHz is a conservative estimate. That's Near FuryX level performace for 300us. I'd wait. And the grass isn't greener on team green.

I would have to wait a few months to save up enough for the 1080 so I will see once I am there. But if I do decide to sell my very lightly used 390, how much should I expect to get for it?

Just now, BunnyHunter67 said:

I would have to wait a few months to save up enough for the 1080 so I will see once I am there. But if I do decide to sell my very lightly used 390, how much should I expect to get for it?

Seriously, don't LOL. Would you buy a 980? It was the new "King" once too. Got destroyed by the 980ti. If you absolutely have to upgrade wait for the bigger chip that will come in the 1080ti. The 1080 only has hype behind it.

But, if you can't wait then check the going rate of 390's and put out a fair offer. That rate changes all the time. And has probably nose dived because of the hype around Pascal.

1 minute ago, BunnyHunter67 said:

ive been told the cx600 is decent. If im not running out of watts is there any need?

It's an entry-level power supply meant for office builds. Not saying it's absolutely rubbish but it's not good either and it lacks quality. If you're getting a high-end GPU, get a PSU of decent quality - IMO, the most important rule that comes with PC building.

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

Your PSU is fine. Everyone likes to go overboard on power supplies.

For good reason. Plenty of internet horror stories about shoddy PSUs taking out builds. I could go on about the CX600 specifically; 85C-rated Chinese capacitors, meh voltage regulation and ripple suppression, rated for 30C and the low hold up time.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

It's an entry-level power supply meant for office builds. Not saying it's absolutely rubbish but it's not good either and it lacks quality. If you're getting a high-end GPU, get a PSU of decent quality - IMO, the most important rule that comes with PC building.

For good reason. Plenty of internet horror stories about shoddy PSUs taking out builds. I could go on about the CX600 specifically; 85C-rated Chinese capacitors, meh voltage regulation and ripple suppression, rated for 30C and the low hold up time.

I could upgrade my psu but I would have a budget of around 70 dollars. Looking around I have found the EVGA SuperNOVA 750 80+ bronze that works out well. The 700 W one is down to 50 because of a sale. Are these good power supplies? because if so I might just pick up the 700W version because its on sale. :D

3 minutes ago, BunnyHunter67 said:

I could upgrade my psu but I would have a budget of around 70 dollars. Looking around I have found the EVGA SuperNOVA 750 80+ bronze that works out well. The 700 W one is down to 50 because of a sale. Are these good power supplies? because if so I might just pick up the 700W version because its on sale.

Yeah, the EVGA B2 would work well. That 700W sounds like the 700B, don't get that.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Yeah, the EVGA B2 would work well. That 700W sounds like the 700B, don't get that.

I think I can swing the EVGA 650 GS that you have. Also yeah the one I found was the 700B. So I think I will go with the 650 GS. :D

39 minutes ago, BunnyHunter67 said:

I could upgrade my psu but I would have a budget of around 70 dollars. Looking around I have found the EVGA SuperNOVA 750 80+ bronze that works out well. The 700 W one is down to 50 because of a sale. Are these good power supplies? because if so I might just pick up the 700W version because its on sale. :D

It seems to me that you're trying to live beyond your means. People with a 970 and 390 shouldn't even be considering these cards and should wait for r9 500 and gtx 1100. You say you want to future proof your build, but there is no such thing. If you sell your card for a 1080, you'll be right back here again the next generation talking about selling your 1080 to future proof your build. When does it ends? Your CPU is fine for another 4 years . Get OBS if you want recording software. It has a bonus feature that let's you record using your iGPU so it takes the load off your GPU. 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

9 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

It seems to me that you're trying to live beyond your means. People with a 970 and 390 shouldn't even be considering these cards and should wait for r9 500 and gtx 1100. You say you want to future proof your build, but there is no such thing. If you sell your card for a 1080, you'll be right back here again the next generation talking about selling your 1080 to future proof your build. When does it ends? Your CPU is fine for another 4 years . Get OBS if you want recording software. It has a bonus feature that let's you record using your iGPU so it takes the load off your GPU. 

^ This, times about a thousand...

The amount of money being talked about wasted on minor upgrades is just...  well...

Lets just say that unless you're on a 600 or perhaps 700 series card, the 1xxx shouldn't even be considered.

Likewise, the only people who should be looking at AMD's new cards are those on 7xxx cards.

Unless you're rich, but then you wouldn't ask such questions. :D

Generally every 3-4 years upgrading starts to become worthwhile.  Every year or two is just throwing money away.

11 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

It seems to me that you're trying to live beyond your means. People with a 970 and 390 shouldn't even be considering these cards and should wait for r9 500 and gtx 1100. You say you want to future proof your build, but there is no such thing. If you still your card for a 1080, you'll be right back here again the next generation talking about selling your 1080 to future proof your build. When does it ends? Your CPU is fine for another 4 years . Get OBS if you want recording software. It has a bonus feature that let's you record using your iGPU so it takes the load off your GPU. 

Would using the gpu recording setting for obs still allow me to record and play demanding titles like battlefield one for example on near max settings?

4 minutes ago, BunnyHunter67 said:

Would using the gpu recording setting for obs still allow me to record and play demanding titles like battlefield one for example on near max settings?

Yes

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

6 minutes ago, Tech Deals said:

^ This, times about a thousand...

The amount of money being talked about wasted on minor upgrades is just...  well...

Lets just say that unless you're on a 600 or perhaps 700 series card, the 1xxx shouldn't even be considered.

Likewise, the only people who should be looking at AMD's new cards are those on 7xxx cards.

Unless you're rich, but then you wouldn't ask such questions. :D

Generally every 3-4 years upgrading starts to become worthwhile.  Every year or two is just throwing money away.

Once it is time for the "worth while upgrade" would that upgrade be the same price that it would be to upgrade to the 1080 now? Say once the 1080TI comes out. If that thing costs 800 or 900 bucks I cant get it. But right now if I sell my current gpu and save up a little (if the performance of the 1080 is true) I could get a fairly huge upgrade for only 200 and be able to use that card for the next say 5 to 6 years. 

1 hour ago, BunnyHunter67 said:

I think I can swing the EVGA 650 GS that you have. Also yeah the one I found was the 700B. So I think I will go with the 650 GS. :D

Good choice. You could shoot for the 550 GS and save some cash there.

Spoiler

Thankyou for all of the feedback and opinions. I am really wanting an enthusiast grade system. The only reason I am doing this is because I am getting some extra money this summer. I am going to go ahead and buy the evga psu. Then wait to see what amd has to offer and judge my purchase from there, weather I should buy the 1080 or the amd Polaris equivalent! :D

2 hours ago, BunnyHunter67 said:

Once it is time for the "worth while upgrade" would that upgrade be the same price that it would be to upgrade to the 1080 now? Say once the 1080TI comes out. If that thing costs 800 or 900 bucks I cant get it. But right now if I sell my current gpu and save up a little (if the performance of the 1080 is true) I could get a fairly huge upgrade for only 200 and be able to use that card for the next say 5 to 6 years. 

First, it is unlikely the 1080 TI will cost that much...  More likely the 1080 will drop in price to $500 and the 1080 TI will be $650.

Second, the 1080 TI is likely to not be worth the upgrade.  If I had a R9 390 8GB card, I think I'd be set for a few years.  The only exception would be playing at 4k or on multiple 1440p monitors.  What resolution are you trying to play at?

1 hour ago, BunnyHunter67 said:

Thankyou for all of the feedback and opinions. I am really wanting an enthusiast grade system. The only reason I am doing this is because I am getting some extra money this summer. I am going to go ahead and buy the evga psu. Then wait to see what amd has to offer and judge my purchase from there, weather I should buy the 1080 or the amd Polaris equivalent! :D

Is that money conditioned on spending it on your video card?

I only ask because there are other things to use that money for besides a computer part.

Open a IRA for example, or a basic investment account and put that money to work.  If you're 20, do a fun math problem and figure out how much a few hundred dollars today, invested at 5% average return over 40 years works out to be. :)

1 hour ago, Tech Deals said:

First, it is unlikely the 1080 TI will cost that much...  More likely the 1080 will drop in price to $500 and the 1080 TI will be $650.

Second, the 1080 TI is likely to not be worth the upgrade.  If I had a R9 390 8GB card, I think I'd be set for a few years.  The only exception would be playing at 4k or on multiple 1440p monitors.  What resolution are you trying to play at?

Say I am running games in 1080p. How long should I expect my 390 to run every game at max settings (if I can even do that now)? Am I just underestimating my 390?

11 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

That's why you see them used so much... They are not the best, but they will work. If someone asked which to buy, of course I'd tell them to spend a little extra for a better PSU, but overcompensating and having people replace a perfectly fine PSU because reasons, well it's been covered by several professional builders as poppy cock.

6 hours ago, BunnyHunter67 said:

Say I am running games in 1080p. How long should I expect my 390 to run every game at max settings (if I can even do that now)? Am I just underestimating my 390?

You have yourself the undisputed price to performance king my friend, enjoy it. Let the dust settle and enjoy some games, plenty to choose form. Pick something up in the fall.