Polaris vs Pascal, 14nm vs 16nm

Matthewv1998

So as of today, may 9th. Pascal has been reviled and is  supposedly coming out this month as well as possibly polairs. So what we know is that for polairs, it is 2.5x perf/watt made on a 14nm die and is for both desktop and laptop, mainstream perfotmance around to be rumored at max with 490x being 980ti grade performance.  

For pascal it is made on a 16nm die, using gddr5x (and possibly their own form of hbm later on)  2x more performance then the titian x and 3x more efficent. And is for desktop (dont know anything for laptops yet). 

But does amd have the upper hand still? Even though pascal is obviosly faster does that 2nm diffrence between the two give amd any kinf of chance to kick pascals ass? Will that 2nm diffrence in 2017 for Vega blow us away and pull up from pascal?, will it simpily tie performance between the brands? Or will we get the best of both worlds, an extremely high performance hbm gpu with a really low tdp?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Matthewv1998
Photos for refrence

Polaris should be later next month though

the 2x titan x on pascal is in vr only though

seeing as TSMC can clock their 16nm chips to 2GHz and beyond, I'm interested in how will the GloFo chips clock

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

2nm won't make a difference, architecture and drivers will.

5 minutes ago, Matthewv1998 said:

So as of today, may 9th. Pascal has been reviled and is  supposedly coming out this month as well as possibly polairs. So what we know is that for polairs, it is 2.5x perf/watt made on a 14nm die and is for both desktop and laptop, mainstream perfotmance around to be rumored at max with 490x being 980ti grade performance.  

For pascal it is made on a 16nm die, using gddr5x (and possibly their own form of hbm later on)  2x more performance then the titian x and 3x more efficent. And is for desktop (dont know anything for laptops yet). 

But does amd have the upper hand still? Even though pascal is obviosly faster does that 2nm diffrence between the two give amd any kinf of chance to kick pascals ass? Will that 2nm diffrence in 2017 for Vega blow us away and pull up from pascal?, will it simpily tie performance between the brands? Or will we get the best of both worlds, an extremely high performance hbm gpu with a really low tdp?

Sources? I havent heard shit about real polaris specs. 

Reliable $550 Starter PC (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KGgpZL) *Just waiting for someone to need help with there ram so I can make a downloadmoreram.com joke*

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

how do you know that?

Benchmarks/source?

the fact that we still don't have benchmarks for the 1070/1080 makes this hard to believe

Polairs is more mainstream as pascal is aimed at highend. I know that at this time there are no benchmarks. But if nivda says what is true, pascal is a pretty high end part

2 minutes ago, Matthewv1998 said:

Polairs is more mainstream as pascal is aimed at highend. I know that at this time there are no benchmarks. But if nivda says what is true, pascal is a pretty high end part

You actually beleive that the 1080 is faster than 980 sli?? lol

you realize most of their benchmarks are "fake" (not entirely just saying most of them are just exaggerations)

They just take the highest number in the list and put it on there

Its not just nvidia who does that, any other company does that as well

2 minutes ago, FuriousGamer said:

Sources? I havent heard shit about real polaris specs. 

I am pulling this stuff from amd and nvidas sites as well as some rumors. I know a lot of this we dont fully know

13 minutes ago, Matthewv1998 said:

Let me help you with that...

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

4 minutes ago, Aytex said:

You actually beleive that the 1080 is faster than 980 sli?? lol

you realize most of their benchmarks are "fake" (not entirely just saying most of them are just exaggerations)

They just take the highest number in the list and put it on there

Its not just nvidia who does that, any other company does that as well

Cant really blame them..its a fantastic selling point....the PCMR portion of the internet just exploded when he said that....

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

2nm won't make a difference, architecture and drivers will.

It will as so far polairs will be super low watt so far but with that diffrence and amd doesnt mess this up. Will that 2nm diffrence allow amd to cram more things in then pascal can offer? Enough to blow pascal away or just barely pull ahead of it?

1 minute ago, Matthewv1998 said:

It will as so far polairs will be super low watt so far but with that diffrence and amd doesnt mess this up. Will that 2nm diffrence allow amd to cram more things in then pascal can offer? Enough to blow pascal away or just barely pull ahead of it?

Please, it's AMD, their blowing away days are in the past. I'd be pretty surprised if they could out perform Nvidia's cards.

Again, 2nm is not going to make a difference, it's a scale that's so small you can't believe how much they're the same.

20 minutes ago, DXMember said:

Polaris should be later next month though

the 2x titan x on pascal is in vr only though

seeing as TSMC can clock their 16nm chips to 2GHz and beyond, I'm interested in how will the GloFo chips clock

It will be. But since polaris is low wattage, maybe not a lot but i am not sure. 

6 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Please, it's AMD, their blowing away days are in the past. I'd be pretty surprised if they could out perform Nvidia's cards.

Again, 2nm is not going to make a difference, it's a scale that's so small you can't believe how much they're the same.

I know that 2nm is small but it is still room for leverage. Amd admitted that polairis wont be super high end. aimed at the mainstream market for VR easier to access for everyone. 

6 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

You cannot deny that they are doing a good job for what they have They have much less cash in the bank and need to make high volume high profit product s fast. 

4 minutes ago, Matthewv1998 said:

I know that 2nm is small but it is still room for leverage. Amd admitted that polairis wont be super high end. aimed at the mainstream market for VR easier to access for everyone. 

Aiming at high end is more beneficial.  You can scale down your product to trickle down to the lower tier far easier than the other way around.

6 minutes ago, awesomeness10120 said:

You cannot deny that they are doing a good job for what they have They have much less cash in the bank and need to make high volume high profit product s fast. 

Unfortunately they're aiming for the 380 segment.  Something that's already outdated.

47 minutes ago, Malaki Titi said:

Unfortunately they're aiming for the 380 segment.  Something that's already outdated.

Please stop spreading nonsense on here.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

35 minutes ago, Matthewv1998 said:

This size difference is not large enough to overcome a better design. The question is who has the better design, and we won't know that until we get our gubby little meat hooks on a sampling of both designs.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Please stop spreading nonsense on here.

AMD stated that Polaris is shooting for the 380 segment.

It's probably not going to matter. Architecture and driver support is going to play a much bigger role than 2nm.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, Malaki Titi said:

How is the 380 outdated?

7 minutes ago, Malaki Titi said:

How is a mid to low cost segment outdated? 

9 minutes ago, awesomeness10120 said:

That is the funny thing.

Not everyone is trying to push six 2k monitors at 400 FPS with game settings at ultra ridiculous. :P

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

10 minutes ago, awesomeness10120 said:

380 can barely game at 1080p on high/ultra with a sustained minimum of 60 fps.

1080p/60fps is the minimum standard for PC gaming outside of 3rd world countries.