DICE: Battlefield 1's launch-day performance 'a focus'

shermantanker

"It’s a focus for us," lead designer Daniel Berlin told GamesBeat. "We know it was a difficult launch (BF4). We’ve been working on this for a long time. We released Battlefront, which did really well. We’re pushing an open beta to ensure stability. We’ve taken a lot of learnings from that experience, and we feel like we succeeded with Battlefront. We’ll take everything we learned there and apply it to Battlefield 1 as well."

I really hope so. Dice's last two titles didn't have any major performance issues from what I can recall, and one could think that they "might" have learned their lesson. Especially after the tank in their stock prices post BF4. Am am pretty excited for this title to say the least, and can't wait for E3 this year.

Source: PC Gamer

Original Q and A

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

is the new battlefield on the same old Frostbite or is it a new Frostbite?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

5 minutes ago, DXMember said:

No word on that yet. DICE devs did confirm a while back on Twitter that Frostbite now supports Dx 12, and they've been vocal about wanting people to move to Windows 10 for dx 12 and WDDM 2.0. If I were a betting man, I'd say it was the updated version with dx 12 support.

Edited by ivan134

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

From what I can find there is no mention of the tech available at the moment. But as a guess, I would say it has been updated since Battlefront. They seem to update the engine in some form every battlefield game, and I would also bet that we will have some from of DX12/Vulcan support implemented as well.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

4 minutes ago, DXMember said:

I believe it is still Frostbite 3 but it has matured and evolved a bit. Graphics are improving too (Battlefront looks amazing)

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D 

Yes, I should hope a focus of their multiplayer shooter is release day (and onward) performance? Though I'll hand it to them, Battlefront was not a very good game, but it was large scale and pretty rock solid at launch.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

1 minute ago, Commander Llama said:

Yes, I should hope a focus of their multiplayer shooter is release day (and onward) performance? Though I'll hand it to them, Battlefront was not a very good game, but it was large scale and pretty rock solid at launch.

Yeah i think EA took too much control over battlefront in order to "dumb it down" to a capture a wider audience. I just hope the second game will be closer to battlefield.

23 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

No word on that yet. DICE devs did confirm a while back on Twitter that Frostbite now supports Dx 12, and they've been vocal about wanting people to move to Windows 10 for dx 12 and WDDM 2.0. If I were a betting man, I'd say it was the updated version with dx 12 support.

22 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

From what I can find there is no mention of the tech available at the moment. But as a guess, I would say it has been updated since Battlefront. They seem to update the engine in some form every battlefield game, and I would also bet that we will have some from of DX12/Vulcan support implemented as well.

22 minutes ago, Fatelinha said:

I believe it is still Frostbite 3 but it has matured and evolved a bit. Graphics are improving too (Battlefront looks amazing)

do they release any other games on Frostbite 3 engine or are those just the EA first person shooters?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Just now, DXMember said:

do they release any other games on Frostbite 3 engine or are those just the EA first person shooters?

Dragon age inquisition, Mirrors edge catalyst. Mass effect Andromeda will also use it. 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

I know that mirrors edge and mass effect 4 are running frostbit, but I am not aware of any others off the top of my head.

EDIT: Dragon Age

5 minutes ago, DXMember said:

Oh yes, need for speed rivals uses it too. 

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

Bioware's canceled Command and Conquer game turned F2P from last year was using it too.

28 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

Yeah i think EA took too much control over battlefront in order to "dumb it down" to a capture a wider audience. I just hope the second game will be closer to battlefield.

I've heard this logic before but I don't understand it. Battlefield has more to learn in total, sure, but it is not a complicated video game. Although not 'optimal,' you can just pick it up and go, I've done it many many times.

I really don't know what happened with Battlefront. Rush job, more like.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

5 minutes ago, Commander Llama said:

I've heard this logic before but I don't understand it. Battlefield has more to learn in total, sure, but it is not a complicated video game. Although not 'optimal,' you can just pick it up and go, I've done it many many times.

I really don't know what happened with Battlefront. Rush job, more like.

yeah, the pick up and go aspect is pretty accurate.

Well, if it follows suit with their last game, it will look amazing, be fun for about a week, then become mind numbingly boring and repetitive with little to no replay value.

Honestly, I can easily the see rather slow, methodical warfare of WW1 being exactly that. There's a reason that civil war games and WW1 games never really took off. Bolt action, and single action weapons slow down fighting. little to no mechanical progression of units, and key battles fought in trenches staring at enemies, or simply standing in a line and shooting at each other.

I'm going to put my money on this game receiving "glowing" reviews from outlets for being a trend-breaker, but the actual play experience being sub-par and having little to no replay value. Feel free to quote me on that, I'll stick to that.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

We live in a time where making sure your product is actually working when you release it is a "focus". So when was it not a 'focus' to make sure your shit works on day 1, EA? Actually, don't answer that. 

8 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Well, if it follows suit with their last game, it will look amazing, be fun for about a week, then become mind numbingly boring and repetitive with little to no replay value.

Honestly, I can easily the see rather slow, methodical warfare of WW1 being exactly that. There's a reason that civil war games and WW1 games never really took off. Bolt action, and single action weapons slow down fighting. little to no mechanical progression of units, and key battles fought in trenches staring at enemies, or simply standing in a line and shooting at each other.

I'm going to put my money on this game receiving "glowing" reviews from outlets for being a trend-breaker, but the actual play experience being sub-par and having little to no replay value. Feel free to quote me on that, I'll stick to that.

I personally still haven't seen a reason to play anything that came after Bad Company 2. Flying spaghetti monster bless PC and it's longevity for games that lets me still enjoy that game to this day.

Awaiting the BigNeck Mode for BF1...

lol

Should be some funny vids, it's bound to happen again, maybe not some old bugs, but there are always new ones.

But I'm happy to wait a few weeks for the initial push of quick updates to sort out most of the launch issues if any.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 hour ago, ivan134 said:

Dragon age inquisition, Mirrors edge catalyst. Mass effect Andromeda will also use it. 

And Need for Speed.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

And Need for Speed.

1 hour ago, ivan134 said:

1 hour ago, Atmos said:

I read in an interview that they will keep the game at the same pace and feel that we are used to with battlefield games. As far as progression and replay value, we have one trailer, and that's it. You can't really say it won't have any. I mean game that lets you play in tanks, battleships, planes, and zeppelins has some depth to it. Dice has always put gameplay first and historical accuracy second, and this game won't be any different from what is said in the QA I linked on the first post.

And this needs to be a statement because...? 

Seriously, this should be expected. If you need to point out to the gamers that your game will run well when it's released you've done something wrong. Very wrong.

2 hours ago, ivan134 said:

Vulkan also better be supported. A lot of folks are still on Windows 7/8/8.1 just because Windows 10 is a giant dick to basically anybody using it.

Ye ole' train

2 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

And this needs to be a statement because...? 

Seriously, this should be expected. If you need to point out to the gamers that your game will run well when it's released you've done something wrong. Very wrong.

Vulkan also better be supported. A lot of folks are still on Windows 7/8/8.1 just because Windows 10 is a giant dick to basically anybody using it.

I'm using it and I'm fine.

12 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

I'm using it and I'm fine.

Same here, I love 10.

24 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

if they had done a vulkan version there would be no need for a pc dx12 version. You can be pretty sure they will do one or the other, not both. dx12 came out first so they did get a head start on their dx12 renderer development (compared to vulkan).