From 760 to 970/1070. What kind of difference will I see?

VincentVolaju

So a few years ago I decided to build my own computer for the first time, a lot of the information about the parts I was considering I got from many of you. When I built the computer I got a MSI GTX 760, the ones with Twin Frozr cooler because it seemed to be the best fit for me at the time. However many of the games I've wanted to play the last few months (Fallout 4, Ark Survival, Division etc.) are much more demanding than what I was playing a couple years ago. Ark for example I have to run with "Extremely low memory" option, and turn all the graphic options to as low as possible for me to get above 50-60fps in single player.

So recently I've been considering getting a GTX 970, until just yesterday I saw that the 1070 and 1080s would be released in a month. So now I am a bit unsure about which would be the best bet for me. Go a head and get a 970 now, or just wait a month and get 1070. I only game with 1 monitor at 1080p, and I don't do any kind of video editing or things like that.

So I was wondering if there would be much of a noticeable FPS difference in games between the 970 and 1070 for single monitor 1080p gaming?

I think you should go for a 1070, you should see a significant performance increase.

What CPU do you have? I'm asking to see is there any kind of a CPU bottleneck.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

760 to 970 2x and 970 to 1070 2x so 760 to 1070 4x

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

1070 will probably beat the 970 to a pulp, though wait for benchmarks atleast before deciding

i would personally go with 1070, unless 970's price drops a lot and you dont plan to play VR anyway (pascal is great at VR)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

16 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

760 to 970 2x and 970 to 1070 2x so 760 to 1070 4x

Also "faster than a Titan X" that nvidia said.

31 minutes ago, VincentVolaju said:

So a few years ago I decided to build my own computer for the first time, a lot of the information about the parts I was considering I got from many of you. When I built the computer I got a MSI GTX 760, the ones with Twin Frozr cooler because it seemed to be the best fit for me at the time. However many of the games I've wanted to play the last few months (Fallout 4, Ark Survival, Division etc.) are much more demanding than what I was playing a couple years ago. Ark for example I have to run with "Extremely low memory" option, and turn all the graphic options to as low as possible for me to get above 50-60fps in single player.

So recently I've been considering getting a GTX 970, until just yesterday I saw that the 1070 and 1080s would be released in a month. So now I am a bit unsure about which would be the best bet for me. Go a head and get a 970 now, or just wait a month and get 1070. I only game with 1 monitor at 1080p, and I don't do any kind of video editing or things like that.

So I was wondering if there would be much of a noticeable FPS difference in games between the 970 and 1070 for single monitor 1080p gaming?

The 1070 coul give you as much as double the fps depending on the game, but we have to wait and look at benchmarks before we know for sure. 

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

@Djole123Sorry should have mentioned that it's an i7 4770k.

Seems like everyone is pretty much saying just wait for the month for the 1070, which sounds like the best idea if the performance between 970 and 1070 is as much as people believe it will be.

Is there any info about if the after market coolers will be available next month as well? I usually prefer my graphics card to be silent, that's why I went with the MSI Twin Frozr at the time. I'd prefer not to get a stock 1070, but I suppose it could be many months until Asus, MSI and others put their own versions of the card out?

36 minutes ago, VincentVolaju said:

@Djole123Sorry should have mentioned that it's an i7 4770k.

Seems like everyone is pretty much saying just wait for the month for the 1070, which sounds like the best idea if the performance between 970 and 1070 is as much as people believe it will be.

Is there any info about if the after market coolers will be available next month as well? I usually prefer my graphics card to be silent, that's why I went with the MSI Twin Frozr at the time. I'd prefer not to get a stock 1070, but I suppose it could be many months until Asus, MSI and others put their own versions of the card out?

A 4770K should be fine.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Wait for 1070.

It has 8GB VRAM, not like 970 with only 3,5GB.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB