Full HoloLens Specs revealed - 64GB Storage, 2GB RAM and more

AlTech

Exciting, as a civil engineer I can't wait for AR to be a thing, since there is an actual use for it. Will make my job easier on the construction site; simply loading the 3D Model into the glasses and have it as an overlay to identify if the finished parts are identical to the model.

19 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Microsoft's HoloLens specs have been revealed by Windows Central. Windows Central took their review unit and have shared the full HoloLens specs with us.

I am quite shocked at a few things.

1. 2GB RAM - Really Microsoft? You couldn't put 4GB or 8GB?

2. The Windows 10 Version of it is 32 Bit.

WHAT! Microsoft! What is this? Why 2GB RAM? Why a 30fps camera? Why 64GB storage?

Well at least now we know not to expect this to be able to play games other than minecraft.

Seriously! What the hell!

18 hours ago, another random person said:

well done microsoft 

unable to fit 4GB+ ram when phone companies have no issues doing that

yay intel atom (why not bay trail)

32 bit- dammit MS

18 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Exactly!

Guys, It doesn't matter the specs so much, it's the experience. How well does it work and how you feel using it! Eveyone says its really cool and works dang well.

Apparently it's the HPU that really is magical in the device.

Also, it's a device that sits on your head as well as being the first public model. What did you expect, gtx 980ti?

5 minutes ago, TheCMan said:

Guys, It doesn't matter the specs so much, it's the experience. How well does it work and how you feel using it? Eveyone says its really cool and works dang well.

Apparently it's the HPU that really is magical in the device.

Also, it's a device that sits on your head as well as being the first public model. What did you expect, gtx 980ti?

Yeah I got to say, people who are bitching about the specs but have never used it? C'mon. As @TheCMan says, if the experience is good, then the underlying specs don't matter. The Retail edition will be more powerful, for those that care about specs. The gen 2 Hololens I'm sure will be fucking insane (Assuming this kind of deep AR experience continues to be popular enough for a gen 2).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

They should rename it to HollowLens

Peoples not so smart phones got better specs than this

Details separate people.

1 hour ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Peoples not so smart phones got better specs than this

And people's smart phones are mass produced and intended for consumer use. Can't really compare the two.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

13 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Well yes this has lower than expected specs its the developer kit...

I am certain that the official release will have better specs. Also Higher specs will increase the weight of the equipment e.g. cooling requirements.

That makes no sense. How are they going to develop software that requires higher specs?

Also, please explain how much you think weight and cooling requirements would increase from having more RAM.

7 hours ago, Sakkura said:

That makes no sense. How are they going to develop software that requires higher specs?

Also, please explain how much you think weight and cooling requirements would increase from having more RAM.

Again why does it need more RAM? The Demos showed off so far have been mostly pretty damn impressive from those who have had a chance to try it out. If the hardware meets the expected usage, then who cares what the actual specs are?

In Gen 2, you'll get more RAM. Why are people making such a big deal out of this?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

44 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Again why does it need more RAM? The Demos showed off so far have been mostly pretty damn impressive from those who have had a chance to try it out. If the hardware meets the expected usage, then who cares what the actual specs are?

In Gen 2, you'll get more RAM. Why are people making such a big deal out of this?

The demos have been underwhelming, even pretty simple stuff's been laggy. So the hardware clearly isn't good enough for what the devs want to do. And having more RAM in the consumer Gen 1 (it's just a devkit now) won't help when the software cannot be developed ahead of time because the devkit is needlessly crippled in that aspect. Seriously, a $3000 devkit and they can't find it room in the budget for more than 2GB RAM?

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

The demos have been underwhelming, even pretty simple stuff's been laggy. So the hardware clearly isn't good enough for what the devs want to do. And having more RAM in the consumer Gen 1 (it's just a devkit now) won't help when the software cannot be developed ahead of time because the devkit is needlessly crippled in that aspect. Seriously, a $3000 devkit and they can't find it room in the budget for more than 2GB RAM?

Can you post some sources for the "pretty simple stuff's been laggy"?

Eg: All the YouTubers who I subscribe to that tried the "Halo ready room" demo at one of the PAX shows (I forget which one) said it was awesome and immersive. None of them mentioned anything about any lagginess.

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Can you post some sources for the "pretty simple stuff's been laggy"?

Eg: All the YouTubers who I subscribe to that tried the "Halo ready room" demo at one of the PAX shows (I forget which one) said it was awesome and immersive. None of them mentioned anything about any lagginess.

Their own Minecraft demo for example. Laggy when creating the hologram.

19 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Their own Minecraft demo for example. Laggy when creating the hologram.

I just rewatched that Demo. Considering that was E3 2015, that might not even be the same hardware as the devkit. That was probably still one of their earlier prototype models. Never the less, even there it's pretty smooth. Given how much of the map he was displaying, jumping around, zooming in and out, and also following another player, that's still damn impressive.

Also, wtf, they're pronouncing Mojang as "Moh-yang". Have I been pronouncing it wrong this entire time? I always just pronounce it phonetically, "Moh-JANG".

53 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Also, wtf, they're pronouncing Mojang as "Moh-yang". Have I been pronouncing it wrong this entire time? I always just pronounce it phonetically, "Moh-JANG".

It's Swedish, so yeah. But I suspect most people pronounce it with an English j. English is really quite unusual, most other languages don't put a d sound in their pronounciation of j (unless it's a non-Latin alphabet language that's transcribed based on English).

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎04 at 5:42 AM, AluminiumTech said:

Somewhat. It was designed to be able to play Minecraft and such. It wasn't meant for BF4 style games but at the same time, This is a damn potato. A $3000 damn potato.

That's the dev kit... The Xbox 360 dev kit cost something like 10k, the dev kit price means fuck all.

@AluminiumTech, why do you care what the camera framerate is? it's not like you're looking through it, you're looking through the glasses of the hololens...

@AluminiumTech you might want to add this short piece of video to get an idea of the hololens functions/size.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

This guy is to microsoft as Zmeul is to AMD.

Don't take him too seriously

1 hour ago, potoooooooo said:

This guy is to microsoft as Zmeul is to AMD.

Don't take him too seriously

but unlike zMeul he's a complete, head to toes,  Microsoft fanboy

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

It would only thing I would get this thing for is viewing and editing 3d models of buildings when I get my architectural engineering degree.  The only thing I hate about 3d modelling is not being able to discern depth.  While a 3d monitor would also solve this, this is just way cooler.  I actually played around with a hololens at a Microsoft event my uni was hosting and I would have to say, I'm not really a fan of augmented reality gaming with hololens.  It makes way more sense as a tool to view and work with 3d models, and not as an alternative to vr gaming