After 13 years with Nvidia, Leslie Pirritano leaves them to join AMD

don_svetlio
8 hours ago, Citadelen said:

People get confused with it, I don't believe Nvidia deliberately hinder their cards through drivers, just that AMD is constantly optimising their cards, while Nvidia, focus' more on the current generation, rather than the previous one.

Yeah, like 960s performing better than 780s in recent games

"No, we're not nerfing older cards to make Maxwell look good"

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

8 hours ago, Agost said:

-snip-

Optimisation in drivers are needed to deliver a good performance, without them situations like the one above happen. The 960 is optimised for, the 780s aren't.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

1 minute ago, Citadelen said:

Optimisation in drivers are needed to deliver a good performance, without them situations like the one above happen. The 960 is optimised for, the 780s aren't.

so 780s are abandoned

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

17 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

so 780s are abandoned

And not gimped.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

21 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

And not gimped.

Which in this case is pretty much the same thing - it results in better hardware performing worse than lesser hardware

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

10 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Which in this case is pretty much the same thing - it results in better hardware performing worse than lesser hardware

If it was lesser, then why is it capable of performing better without resorting to overclocks?

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

If it was lesser, then why is it capable of performing better without resorting to overclocks?

When a 960, a 1024-core card, performs better than a 780, a 2304-core card, the drivers are the fishiest thing

4 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

When a 960, a 1024-core card, performs better than a 780, a 2304-core card, the drivers are the fishiest thing

Note the improvements made between Maxwell V1 and V2....and the improvements between them and Kepler. As it is GTX 970 has similar to better performance to GTX 780ti, and their price point is faaaar lower than that of the GTX 780ti when it was still being manufactured. And its not that strange, look at the GTX 970's CUDA core count, less than that of the GTX 780 as well: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Note the improvements made between Maxwell V1 and V2....and the improvements between them and Kepler. As it is GTX 970 has similar to better performance to GTX 780ti, and their price point is faaaar lower than that of the GTX 780ti when it was still being manufactured. And its not that strange, look at the GTX 970's CUDA core count, less than that of the GTX 780 as well: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications

When the 970 came out it was actually slightly weaker than the 780 Ti but it's currently superior - again, drivers are fishy

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

When the 970 came out it was actually slightly weaker than the 780 Ti but it's currently superior - again, drivers are fishy

Its performance was still similar, it still cost a lot less, and they just need to look at the amount of users using each model of their graphics cards, and decide which ones should be focused on first for optimizations.

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Its performance was still similar, it still cost a lot less, and they just need to look at the amount of users using each model of their graphics cards, and decide which ones should be focused on first for optimizations.

And the 780 owners who can't afford a 970 get the boot?

I fucking hate Calibri. Microsoft decided one day to make it the default font for everything and now everything but research papers is typefaced in Calibri. ARRHGHHH 

14 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

my n-word leslie

purple fury x rig = yes

I'm not sure why it's inappropiate to say that word in friendly situations.

And yes I won't say it for fear of it being a moderated word. LOL

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

11 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I'd argue without getting into research that there are more gamers using cards older than current generation, reardless of vendor. Optimizing for current-gen only is catering to potential buyers only, forsaking those who bought a part in the past. That inevitably scores against Nvidia from the consumer point of view as their cards lose value a lot quicker.

I could go on and on about this :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

On 5/3/2016 at 6:04 PM, Fulgrim said:

Purple rig? I like her already.

We need purple motherboards DAMNIT 

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

On 5 May 2016 at 5:06 PM, don_svetlio said:

so 780s are abandoned

More, they've reached their optimisation ceiling for that architecture. Or the ROI is not worth it.

On 5 May 2016 at 6:02 PM, don_svetlio said:

again, drivers are fishy

Same with AMD, in the beginning their performance was iffy, now they perform like they should have... Cards get better with tuning of drivers, this is a fact for both sides... Not something that's a problem.

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

I disagree, there will be still significant performance to be had from the 780Ti, Raw performance wise it's still a beast, close to a 980,

But Nvidia like apple have planned obsolescence built into their cards just like Apple do in their products, to force you into buy their new card to play the newest games, which they gimp with gameworks in a way that punishes the previous generation, for little added visual fidelity to add further insult to injury....

As long as you are current Gen you will get the driver optimizations, once you are previous gen they will put less effort optimizing into them, and god help you if you bought a card from two Gens ago, you are royally screwed.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----