One thousand ships, Unreal Engine 4 with NVIDIA WaveWorks

4 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Tbh that looks quite bad, just look at watch_dogs, that had nice water, yes it's a crappy game but the water stuff looked great, better than this tbh...

And the amount of ships doesn't say anything, they also look quite low detail and we all know DX12 is much better at this. AotS has shown us that this stuff shouldn't be too difficult...

I mean come on nvidia, can you just not do this crap? Waveworks is nothing new and some older stuff imo looks better and a thousand ships is nothing impressive now we know what DX12 can do.

I don't think you understand what is going on here. Try re reading the OP. These aren't static. They are all physic objects being rendered in real time. It's not about the visuals. As a game dev myself, this is incredible.

3 hours ago, N8128 said:

-snip

How easy to is it to implement something like this without objects with buoyancy? In my game, a large section of the "open environment" is by a lake, and the lake is at the center of the game's lore. Would waveworks serve as a visual improvement for a lake with minimal performance impact? Due to foliage, I can't lose many more frames on max.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

If those ships can't move, blow up, burn, sink, shoot other ships, they are pointless.
U could just create a thousand growing trees (with time control as "special feature").

Basicly : Simulate D-Day in real time with all 1000 ships and add planes, tanks, shells, etc. - and THAT would be something interesting :)

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

On 4. 5. 2016 at 5:25 PM, christianled59 said:

I don't think you understand what is going on here. Try re reading the OP. These aren't static. They are all physic objects being rendered in real time. It's not about the visuals. As a game dev myself, this is incredible.

How easy to is it to implement something like this without objects with buoyancy? In my game, a large section of the "open environment" is by a lake, and the lake is at the center of the game's lore. Would waveworks serve as a visual improvement for a lake with minimal performance impact? Due to foliage, I can't lose many more frames on max.

Thank you, much appreciated! Sorry for a delay, I've been busy writting a blog post about this subject; check it out for more info. Are you using Unreal? If so you can download either NVIDIAs build with basic integration here; make sure you're logged in GitHub and that you have access to UE source code, instructions here. The problem you will face is, that integration is done on a pretty old UE4 version, you can use it to manually integrate their WaveWorks code into you build by searching the whole solution for "WaveWorks", you will find everything, don't forget about files under binaries and source code under ThirdParty, also some shaders are broken under a newer version of UE4 so you would have to fix them manually. Another option is to download GalaxyMan's build with more features integrated, he's super cool to do this for the community, the last version he released is 4.9.2., so a bit old as well. He really focuses on putting everything that NV did in Unreal to one build and I'm really focusing on shipping our stuff with a limited set of features we actually need ourselfs, with the very latest UE4 builds.

It's pretty cheap on modern hardware, it also depends on where you have more free margin, CPU or GPU and how you use it (with quad-tree or without) I guess the best thing I can do is to attach WaveWorks PDF from NV, that comes with the libraries, you can read more about it there, page 25 has some performance information.

WaveWorks-PartnerInfo.pdf

1 hour ago, N8128 said:

Thank you, much appreciated! Sorry for a delay, I've been busy writting a blog post about this subject; check it out for more info. Are you using Unreal? If so you can download either NVIDIAs build with basic integration here; make sure you're logged in GitHub and that you have access to UE source code, instructions here. The problem you will face is, that integration is done on a pretty old UE4 version, you can use it to manually integrate their WaveWorks code into you build by searching the whole solution for "WaveWorks", you will find everything, don't forget about files under binaries and source code under ThirdParty, also some shaders are broken under a newer version of UE4 so you would have to fix them manually. Another option is to download GalaxyMan's build with more features integrated, he's super cool to do this for the community, the last version he released is 4.9.2., so a bit old as well. He really focuses on putting everything that NV did in Unreal to one build and I'm really focusing on shipping our stuff with a limited set of features we actually need ourselfs, with the very latest UE4 builds.

It's pretty cheap on modern hardware, it also depends on where you have more free margin, CPU or GPU and how you use it (with quad-tree or without) I guess the best thing I can do is to attach WaveWorks PDF from NV, that comes with the libraries, you can read more about it there, page 25 has some performance information.

WaveWorks-PartnerInfo.pdf

Thank you. I'll look into it. And yes I'm using UE4. However, my build is on 4.10.4. 

Edit: so its not all drag and drop but it certainly doesn't look too difficult. Much easier than animations :P I'll probably implement this closer to beta. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

On 5/3/2016 at 10:55 PM, theninja35 said:

Well, let's see you do it then. Remember the real-time buoyancy, too.

The species would be pretty fucked if we commended everything that we personally could not do equally good or better.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

At the beginning, why do we have sound of waves crashing into shores, when we're in the middle of the ocean. -_-

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

At the beginning, why do we have sound of waves crashing into shores, when we're in the middle of the ocean. -_-

Considering its just a demo, I'd assume it's merely a placeholder. ;)

• 3 weeks later...