Phill Schiller tears journalists a new one with grammar issues. Apple's great taste in design doesn't transfer to Grammar.

AlTech

"The App Store on iPod touch ... gives users access to 1.5 million apps." . I shit you not. Apple doesn't even Grammar.

Apple likes to call it's product by either singular or plural versions using the same notation AND According to Phil Schiller (Apple's head of marketing) "Apple devices need not be pluralized". These are screenshots of Mr Schiller's conversation on Twitter.

apple.PNG

If that weren't weird enough, Apple also wants its product names to be both singular and plural. The entire reason I'm writing this is because Apple marketing chief and occasional tweeter Phil Schiller decided to weigh in on a debate started during a podcast this week by Michael Copeland, Benedict Evans, and Steven Sinofsky — all of Andreessen Horowitz. (Editor's note: nice use of the Oxford Comma, the One True Way to make lists in a sentence. Also nice use of the em dash.) (Author's note: Dieter added that em dash.)

I did not listen to the podcast, which is 30 minutes long, but apparently someone argues in favor of referring to multiple units of the iPad Pro as "iPads Pro," which is either a very funny joke or an even crazier grammar idea than what Apple is pitching.

Either way, Schiller decides to set the record straight: (Editor's note: you should have used "decided" in the past tense here, as it was a decision that happened in the past. "Schiller writes" would also have worked, as you can use the present tense when referring to writing or speaking, because that's the way we do things when quoting. Our conventions surrounding grammar are weird!)

But that sounds strange. The way that most people would word the sentence above is: "I have three Macs." Language kind of just works however people decide it does (which, yes, defeats the point of this entire article), so I'd argue that we should just go with what's natural. Which is, "three Macs," not "three Mac" ("three Mac computers" would also be acceptable, but slightly awkward). (Editor's note: the terminology you're looking for is Prescriptivist and Descriptivist. The Prescriptivist believes that there is a "right" way to say things and makes people feel bad for doing it the wrong way. The Descriptivist understands language is an ever-changing thing and it's the job of the grammarian to try to make flexible rules of grammar that match how people use words in real life — the Descriptivist also probably has a chip on their shoulder about Victorians and Colonialist attitudes. The Prescriptivist gets annoyed that the Descriptivist up and decided to use "their" as a non-gendered singular instead of "his or her." I could go on.)

Apple, you are a bunch of Arrogant bastards telling people how they should do things instead of the consumer deciding what is better for them. Learn to write English. FFS.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/30/11541268/apple-grammar-is-weird

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Apple, you are a bunch of Arrogant bastards telling people how they should do things instead of the consumer deciding what is better for them. Learn to write English. FFS.

The ironic thing is that what you have written is gramatically incorrect.

I believe the correct answer to his third tweet would he

I have 3 macintoshs'

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, chromed343 said:

The ironic thing is that what you have written is gramatically incorrect.

Which part?

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

12 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Which part?

This should be writtens as:

Apple, you are a bunch of arrogant bastards, telling people how they should do things intead of them themselves deciding what is better for them. Learn to correctly write in English for fuck sake.

Apple, you are a bunch of arrogant bastards that are telling customers' how they should do things intead of they themselves deciding what is better for them. Learn to correctly write in English for fuck sake.

1 hour ago, chromed343 said:

Nicely grammarfied sentenceism there.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

"The App Store on iPod touch ... gives users access to 1.5 million apps." . I shit you not. Apple doesn't even Grammar.

Apple likes to call it's product by either singular or plural versions using the same notation AND According to Phil Schiller (Apple's head of marketing) "Apple devices need not be pluralized". These are screenshots of Mr Schiller's conversation on Twitter.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/30/11541268/apple-grammar-is-weird

His explanation isn't great and you may consider it an odd plural form, but it's completely legit for a word to be identical in singular and plural form. Here are some other examples of that (thanks Wiki):

bison
buffalo
deer
fish
moose
pike
plankton
salmon
sheep
squid
swine
trout

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Which part?

For example, you used "it's" instead of "its." 

It's is defined as "It is."

Its is defined as being possessive. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

What? Apple deciding that their way is correct and better than everyone else's even though literally every single other thing uses another, more correct and overall more normal method? When has this ever happened before?

Also, look what I just noticed:

Philip Schiller.

Philip Schiller.

Schiller = Shiller

Shiller = Shill

What is a shill, you may ask?

Shill = North American slang for an accomplice of a confidence trickster or swindler.

How convenient!

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 minute ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Also, look what I just noticed:

Philip Schiller.

Philip Schiller.

Schiller = Shiller

Shiller = Shill

What is a shill, you may ask?

Shill = North American slang for an accomplice of a confidence trickster or swindler.

How convenient!

That's comparable to seeing "God" in "dog." It means nothing as it's an arbitrarily chosen name.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

16 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

That's comparable to seeing "God" in "dog." It means nothing as it's an arbitrarily chosen name.

...it was a joke. Just an interesting thing I found. I know it doesn't actually mean anything.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

2 hours ago, chromed343 said:

Apple, you are a bunch of arrogant bastards, telling people how they should do things intead of them themselves deciding what is better for them. Learn to correctly write in English for fuck sake.

Apple, you are a bunch of arrogant bastards that are telling customers' how they should do things intead of they themselves deciding what is better for them. Learn to correctly write in English for fuck sake.

You overdid it there mate. Most of what he said was fine. The best way, in my opinion, would be:
Apple, you are a bunch of arrogant bastards (that are -it is not required-) telling people how they should do things instead of letting the consumer decide what is better. Learn how to write in English for fuck's sake. (You also missed the 's in fuck's and also I do not think "learn to correctly write in English" is gramatically correct, either. Also "them themselves"!? The fuck? I have never heard anyone say that xD)

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

in this case it is linked because Tim Cook Lies to people.

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Cook might, but not necessarily Phil. Correlating names with personalities and actions of people is not proper at all. 

6 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Cook might, but not necessarily Phil. Correlating names with personalities and actions of people is not proper at all. 

12 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

'Twas a joke.

If English was a programming language 90% of what people say over the internet would not compute.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

'Twas a joke.

Well Tim Cook does Lie. He said in an interview Americans weren't suitable to make apple products because they didn't have the training or skills. The reality is that they want cheap labour from china. Americans cost too much to hire.

Just now, Energycore said:

If English was a programming language 90% of what people say over the internet would not compute.

it is. We communicate with each other using it. Many  people do not compute it.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

it is. We communicate with each other using it. Many  people do not compute it.

I can tell you humans are miles better at parsing than computers at the moment. Miss a bracket and your program will crash. A person would give you shit for it at worst.

Also notice how I missed a comma up there.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Energycore said:

I can tell you humans are miles better at parsing than computers at the moment. Miss a bracket and your program will crash. A person would give you shit for it at worst.

Also notice how I missed a comma up there.

Yeah and I'm not giving you shit for it :)

This reminds me of ASUS wanting to be pronounced "Asoose".

If you wanted to be pronounced "Asoose" you should have called your company that, I'm going to call you "A-suss" as is correct and you're gonna deal with it.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

1 hour ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

This reminds me of ASUS wanting to be pronounced "Asoose".

If you wanted to be pronounced "Asoose" you should have called your company that, I'm going to call you "A-suss" as is correct and you're gonna deal with it.

But "A-suss" is the correct way of saying it.