Upgrading my Toshiba Laptop

Hamish.R

I just had a crazy idea that I need some help with doing, I have a toshiba portege z30t and I was wondering if it is possible for me to be able to upgrade my graphics card and if I can, than whats the best card I can upgrade to?

1 minute ago, Hamish.R said:

I just had a crazy idea that I need some help with doing, I have a toshiba portege z30t and I was wondering if it is possible for me to be able to upgrade my graphics card and if I can, than whats the best card I can upgrade to?

graphics cards are soldered to the pcb of the laptop, you cant remove it. like he said, all you can upgrade is memory and storage. your best bet would be to get an ssd.

1 minute ago, Luke32800 said:

graphics cards are soldered to the pcb of the laptop, you cant remove it. like he said, all you can upgrade is memory and storage. your best bet would be to get an ssd.

Would it be possible for me to unsolder then resolder the card?

Just now, Hamish.R said:

no that cannot be done. there are thousands of microscopic pins that are soldered on by a machine. even if you could successfully remove it there isnt a gpu that has the exact same configuration that you could attach back on.

2 minutes ago, Luke32800 said:

no that cannot be done. there are thousands of microscopic pins that are soldered on by a machine. even if you could successfully remove it there isnt a gpu that has the exact same configuration that you could attach back on.

dam well thank you very much :D

19 minutes ago, Hamish.R said:

Looking up the motherboard it'd be impossible. Even if you could desolder the BGA GPU chip your laptop's motherboard has the CPU & GPU on the same PCB. I was going to say GPU is out of the question but IF the CPU is socketed then you could upgrade that (I did in mine). However, it's not, and even worse, it's attached to the GPU.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Looking up the motherboard it'd be impossible. Even if you could desolder the BGA GPU chip your laptop's motherboard has the CPU & GPU on the same PCB. I was going to say GPU is out of the question but IF the CPU is socketed then you could upgrade that (I did in mine). However, it's not, and even worse, it's attached to the GPU.

interesting... do you know if my CPU is socketed?

Just now, Hamish.R said:

interesting... do you know if my CPU is socketed?

I think you misunderstand, when I say the GPU & CPU are on the same PCB I mean its a BGA (Ball Grid Array) packet/chip. Look at this photo. This is your laptop's motherboard. Look at the red rectangle Your CPU & GPU are on the same rectangular PCB which is soldered to the motherboard via a BGA. In short, both are soldered to your motherboard and you most definitely don't have the equipment to remove and replace it.

Laptop-motherboard-P000620330-A3667A-A5A003667610-for-Toshiba-Portege-Z30-A-Z30t-A-Z35-A-Z35t-A.jpg

43 minutes ago, Hamish.R said:

Absolutely, you'd just have to have a professional manufacturing plant with microscopic equipment made for such an precise purpose.

This is assuming you could even get your OEM (Toshiba) or the ODM of your motherboard to sell you a chip that fits that particular motherboard.

Godspeed to you sir.

/internet.sarcasm=off

In all seriousness, unless your laptop was designed to have an MXM socketed graphics card, you're not going to be upgrading it.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

I think you misunderstand, when I say the GPU & CPU are on the same PCB I mean its a BGA (Ball Grid Array) packet/chip. Look at this photo. This is your laptop's motherboard. Look at the red rectangle Your CPU & GPU are on the same rectangular PCB which is soldered to the motherboard via a BGA. In short, both are soldered to your motherboard and you most definitely don't have the equipment to remove and replace it.

Laptop-motherboard-P000620330-A3667A-A5A003667610-for-Toshiba-Portege-Z30-A-Z30t-A-Z35-A-Z35t-A.jpg

How were you able to manage it then?

20 minutes ago, Hamish.R said:

How were you able to manage it then?

Some laptops have socketed CPU's, others do not. Mine is socketed so I was able to remove it and put a different one in almost like in a desktop computer. However yours is soldered to the motherboard, even if you could source an upgraded CPU/GPU chip the chance of permanently ruining your laptop would be very high.