Are there any computer engineers around here?

laminutederire

Hi there, I am asking that because I am interested in making computer hardware but it's unclear what studies are helpful for that :)

Could I pick your brain on that?

Thanks in advance!

3 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Hi there, I am asking that because I am interested in making computer hardware but it's unclear what studies are helpful for that :)

Thanks in advance!

Watching many Linus videos is a good start.

Also, spending some time on tech forums might help you learn some things.

Sig under construction.

1 minute ago, Tedster said:

Linus shows mostly how to use the hardware, not to manufacture those.

I mean, he shares sometimes theoretical explanations of some stuffs, but those are not master level courses (he probably knows more about it but many wouldn't be interested with those).

It's also that I am torn between computer science degree and physics/electronic engineering degrees. Both make sense to work on the gpu of the future, and I am lost on that.

what kind of computer hardware are you interested in making?

for like CPU/GPU you should study a lot of material science and general electronics

for motherboards and integrated circuits electrical engineering

making hardware generally has very little to do with computer science, because it's mostly for people that do software

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I'm studying software engineering (aka computer engineering) and it has nothing to do with designing computer hardware. That's electronic engineering, I still do part of that because in my university some of the courses are in common, but other than that they are separate subjects. What I learn is focused on designing software and only gives vague information on what the hardware does (most of the hard work that goes into interfacing with the hardware is usually done by abstractions anyway).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I'm studying software engineering (aka computer engineering) and it has nothing to do with designing computer hardware. That's electronic engineering, I still do part of that because in my university some of the courses are in common, but other than that they are separate subjects. What I learn is focused on designing software and only gives vague information on what the hardware does (most of the hard work that goes into interfacing with the hardware is usually done by abstractions anyway).

I believed computer engineering was the mid point between EE and Computer sciences

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

3 minutes ago, DXMember said:

what kind of computer hardware are you interested in making?

for like CPU/GPU you should study a lot of material science and general electronics

for motherboards and integrated circuits electrical engineering

making hardware generally has very little to do with computer science, because it's mostly for people that do software

Like GPU or Cpu I think. They present many interesting problems as of now and it would be a really exciting domain to innovate in :)

Isn't computer science dependant on hardware architecture? It's okay to have abstractions, but for high level computing like for deep learning stuffs or simulations, i came to understand that software optimization is based on hardware specific designs. Was I misled by what I read?

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

I believed computer engineering was the mid point between EE and Computer sciences

kind of, but you can't "sort of" design a cpu

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You'll need to be good in Mathematics, Engineering and Physics... for a start.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

4 minutes ago, ALwin said:

You'll need to be good in Mathematics, Engineering and Physics... for a start.

I'm an engineering school in France so I've got that covered :)

I particularly enjoy quantum mechanics, so that gives pieces to reinvent hardware component. 

14 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Like GPU or Cpu I think. They present many interesting problems as of now and it would be a really exciting domain to innovate in :)

Isn't computer science dependant on hardware architecture? It's okay to have abstractions, but for high level computing like for deep learning stuffs or simulations, i came to understand that software optimization is based on hardware specific designs. Was I misled by what I read?

now you're mixing things... deep learning and simulations are algorithms that you implement in software, you can most certainly implement them in hardware but the it will be a very specialized kind of hardware, CPUs and GPUs have to be general purpose and be able to run all kinds of software and algorithms to make those whole computer stuff work

before you get to designing new hardware architecture you have to know your electronics very well also some kind of material science

to actually manufacture the hardware or come up with new ways of doing it (like for example replacing silicon with something else) you have to know the material science and some electrical engineering

and the computer scientists will be working on the algorithms for processing the information and yes they will learn some general basics for how the hardware works in order to get most out of it, but they won't be designing the chips or manufacturing them

it all depends on the courses your university has to offer... go to some open doors event for the universities around you, look at what they have to offer, ask about the stuff you're interested, tweet some companies for what kind of interns they are looking for, try finding some interviews with Raja Koduri or tweet him, look up Jim Keller's biography, again try tweeting him or something...

it's an amazing world we live in where we can reach out to anyone in the world in a matter of a keypress

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

4 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

I'm an engineering school in France so I've got that covered :)

Good for you, now go invent a time machine for me xD.

I'm not really into the "designing hardware" side of IT/Computing so the best advice I can give you is "Go consult with your teachers".

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

9 minutes ago, DXMember said:

now you're mixing things... deep learning and simulations are algorithms that you implement in software, you can most certainly implement them in hardware but the it will be a very specialized kind of hardware, CPUs and GPUs have to be general purpose and be able to run all kinds of software and algorithms to make those whole computer stuff work

before you get to designing new hardware architecture you have to know your electronics very well also some kind of material science

to actually manufacture the hardware or come up with new ways of doing it (like for example replacing silicon with something else) you have to know the material science and some electrical engineering

and the computer scientists will be working on the algorithms for processing the information and yes they will learn some general basics for how the hardware works in order to get most out of it, but they won't be designing the chips or manufacturing them

it all depends on the courses your university has to offer... go to some open doors event for the universities around you, look at what they have to offer, ask about the stuff you're interested, tweet some companies for what kind of interns they are looking for, try finding some interviews with Raja Koduri or tweet him, look up Jim Keller's biography, again try tweeting him or something...

it's an amazing world we live in where we can reach out to anyone in the world in a matter of a keypress

I see your point, but I was thinking about like optimization of crossfiring two cards.

I have mainly all possibilities, that was kind of he issue :) 

Haven't thought about social media's like that, I was trying to contact them directly through e-mail etc. Thanks for the idea though, it was kinda what I was trying to do with that thread to be honest.

electrical engineering is probably what your looking for..

In reality a company will employ electrical, computer, chemical and probably mechanical engineers.  

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

6 hours ago, rmac52 said:

electrical engineering is probably what your looking for..

In reality a company will employ electrical, computer, chemical and probably mechanical engineers.  

Yeah that's what I heard. However the barrier which prevent us to make better hardware isn't that much about electronics, but it is more about quantum electrodynamics , field which isn't taught in electronic engineering degrees

9 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Yeah that's what I heard. However the barrier which prevent us to make better hardware isn't that much about electronics, but it is more about quantum electrodynamics , field which isn't taught in electronic engineering degrees

If you really want to invent new things you need to go farther than a ba.  Masters at least and probably a PhD.  You can get a ba in electrical engineering and then get a graduate degree in something more specific.

My ba is in biochemical engineering and my masters is focusing on reserch in infectious disease 

I'm finishing the masters now.  

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Electrical Engineering - typically focuses on electronics on the larger scale but can also be swapped with Computer Engineering as both are pretty much the same but scale is different.

Computer Engineering - VERY similar to EE but tends to focus on the smaller scale, an EE can do the job of a CE and vice versa.

Nanoscale Engineer - I'm not sure how prevalent this is but my University has a college that focuses on nanoscale with Nanoscale Engineering being one of them. It's focused on, well the nanoscale obviously, so designing things like CPUs, GPUs, FGPAs, and other nanoscale logic design. The college is also a fab that is partnered with industry giants like Intel, Samsung, Global Foundries, etc.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

21 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Thanks in advance!

"Making computer hardware" So you mean like designing PCBs and the underlying architectures for CPUs and GPUs and the such? If so, as far as my knowledge goes schools for computer engineering seem to be pretty few and far between. But I wouldn't know as my #1 field of study is radiology.

~` please , don't let my whole life burn down `~

- why can't i just focus right now? -

; i'm tired ;

@laminutederire ELECTRONIC engineering specifically light current or computer engineering, nomenclature changes from country to country . ELECTRICAL engineering or heavy current is more geared towards power stations etc. You will have to love Math and Physics and be willing to work hard and be good at regurgitating information. Good luck!

On 4/30/2016 at 3:47 PM, Tedster said:

Actually, I'd recommend checking out videos from EEVBlog. He does a lot of teardowns of equipment while explaining what the stuff does, and also posts videos explaining different electrical engineering concepts.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD