How can I disable PCI-E slot on Asus X99-A?

EDIT: Seems like my monitor is at fault. I still need to try another DP cable.

I'm having some problems with my rig https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/589403-blurry-text-win10-1440p-monitor-no-scaling-used/ and I'd like to try my GPUs one by one to see if one of them is broken but they are watercooled so I'd need to do it trough disabling PCI-E slots. I just can't find the option in the bios. It would be great if someone could tell me where the option is hiding. Please also take a look in my trouble shooting thread to see if you guys could help me.

Take them out, put the air coolers back on and test them then. You should have done this testing long before you water cooled everything. If you really can't be screwed, it should be under advanced in your bios somewhere. Go into all the options and read through everything. 

7 minutes ago, tommi_6o said:

I'm having some problems with my rig https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/589403-blurry-text-win10-1440p-monitor-no-scaling-used/ and I'd like to try my GPUs one by one to see if one of them is broken but they are watercooled so I'd need to do it trough disabling PCI-E slots. I just can't find the option in the bios. It would be great if someone could tell me where the option is hiding. Please also take a look in my trouble shooting thread to see if you guys could help me.

What motherboard are you using?  Duh, it's right there in the title.  Haha.  Unless you have the manual PCIe dip switches, which the Asus x99-A does not, you won't be able to turn off the PCIe.  Your motherboard may have some type of accomidation for doing so, but I've never heard of a way other than with the manual dip switch. 

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

What motherboard are you using?  Duh, it's right there in the title.  Haha.  Unless you have the manual PCIe dip switches, which the Asus x99-A does not, you won't be able to turn off the PCIe.  Your motherboard may have some type of accomidation for doing so, but I've never heard of a way other than with the manual dip switch. 

I have a spare gpu so I don't need to put the stock coolers on but still draining the loop is a pain in the ass :D

Just now, tommi_6o said:

I have a spare gpu so I don't need to put the stock coolers on but still draining the loop is a pain in the ass :D

I completely understand.  The thought of draining a loop just to test something is annoying.  The other 99% of the them the loop rules!

Have you tried disabling SLI and running each card as your main display for testing?  You should be able to detect any issues with either card by doing that.  Unless there's something specific that your trying to test, I don't see why you would need to completely disable the PCIe.

4 minutes ago, Jon Trollston said:

Take them out, put the air coolers back on and test them then. You should have done this testing long before you water cooled everything. If you really can't be screwed, it should be under advanced in your bios somewhere. Go into all the options and read through everything. 

They've been watercooled for almost a year. I went trough those options but couldn't find it.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

I completely understand.  The thought of draining a loop just to test something is annoying.  The other 99% of the them the loop rules!

Have you tried disabling SLI and running each card as your main display for testing?  You should be able to detect any issues with either card by doing that.  Unless there's something specific that your trying to test, I don't see why you would need to completely disable the PCIe.

Read trough the trouble shooting thread I linked in the op post. I tested them without sli (no bridge installed) and same thing happens with my monitor connected to either one of the gpus. Seems odd that they would break at the same time in the same way. I need to take them out and test them one by one.

2 minutes ago, tommi_6o said:

I went trough those options but couldn't find it.

That's because it's not there.  Your x-99-A and my x-99 Deluxe, along with most motherboards, can't completely shut off PCIe slots.  Something like a Asus Rampage V Extreme has dip switches that allows for manual selection and powering of the PCIe slots that you want to use.

2 minutes ago, tommi_6o said:

Read trough the trouble shooting thread I linked in the op post. I tested them without sli (no bridge installed) and same thing happens with my monitor connected to either one of the gpus. Seems odd that they would break at the same time in the same way. I need to take them out and test them one by one.

I think your problem is with your monitor and not the video cards.

Disable one of your gpus through the Device Manager. For Asus only the RVE has the PCIe dip switches. Another is to try changing the monitor cable, it might be your cable that's causing the problem.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

8 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

That's because it's not there.  Your x-99-A and my x-99 Deluxe, along with most motherboards, can't completely shut off PCIe slots.  Something like a Asus Rampage V Extreme has dip switches that allows for manual selection and powering of the PCIe slots that you want to use.

I knew after reading your post but I just wanted to answer to the guy :D 

Just now, tommi_6o said:

I knew after reading your post but I just wanted to answer to the guy :D 

I should have quoted "the guy".  Sorry about the confusion.

8 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Disable one of your gpus through the Device Manager. For Asus only the RVE has the PCIe dip switches. Another is to try changing the monitor cable, it might be your cable that's causing the problem.

I'll try disabling them in device manager. I've got only a single DP1.2 cable and I can't use anything else because Rog Swift. I'll try the monitor on my other pc and if it's still there order a new cable and try that. If it still isn't working I need to RMA the monitor.

11 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I think your problem is with your monitor and not the video cards.

I'll try the monitor on a different pc. I don't know why I didn't think about that...

1 hour ago, tommi_6o said:

I'll try disabling them in device manager. I've got only a single DP1.2 cable and I can't use anything else because Rog Swift. I'll try the monitor on my other pc and if it's still there order a new cable and try that. If it still isn't working I need to RMA the monitor.

What does Rog Swift have anything to do with using another type of cable? So that monitor, with a price nearing $1K has no other connectors besides DP? What kind of garbage monitor is that?! All of this hardcore 1440P, 144Hz, 60+ FPS, RGB LED marketing bullshit nonsense comes first, while the basics of adding some standard video outputs goes out the window. No one to blame, but those "gamers" who asked for it. "Look at me, I'm a gamer!" NO! You look like a fucking retard.

/rant

Try your monitor on another computer or see if you can enable ClearType within Windows. It might be a utility that needs to be downloaded from Microsoft. The other is to go into performance and make sure smooth edge on screen fonts are enabled. I don't remember the exact phrase but it should be there. If there are drivers for the ROG Swift, then install it.

Win10 ClearType How To

http://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/turn-off-or-on-clear-type-text-in-windows-10.html

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

8 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

What does Rog Swift have anything to do with using another type of cable? So that monitor, with a price nearing $1K has no other connectors besides DP? What kind of garbage monitor is that?! All of this hardcore 1440P, 144Hz, 60+ FPS, RGB LED marketing bullshit nonsense comes first, while the basics of adding some standard video outputs goes out the window. No one to blame, but those "gamers" who asked for it. "Look at me, I'm a gamer!" NO! You look like a fucking retard.

/rant

Try your monitor on another computer or see if you can enable ClearType within Windows. It might be a utility that needs to be downloaded from Microsoft. The other is to go into performance and make sure smooth edge on screen fonts are enabled. I don't remember the exact phrase but it should be there. If there are drivers for the ROG Swift, then install it.

Win10 ClearType How To

http://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/turn-off-or-on-clear-type-text-in-windows-10.html

It only has DP because of G-Sync.  G-Sync last I checked, only works through DP.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

5 minutes ago, Lays said:

It only has DP because of G-Sync.  G-Sync last I checked, only works through DP.

Then that is not a reason why, Asus can't add any more basic output like DVI, HDMI, or VGA. They can clearly state, only DP will work with G-Sync. All other connectors are not supported. At least Acer was nice enough to include HDMI on their Predator line up.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Then that is not a reason why, Asus can't add any more basic output like DVI, HDMI, or VGA. They can clearly state, only DP will work with G-Sync. All other connectors are not supported. At least Acer was nice enough to include HDMI on their Predator line up.

They have to completely rip out the module for all those connectors to add in the g-sync module.

So unless they asked Nvidia to modify the G-sync module, that is not possible.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

1 minute ago, Lays said:

They have to completely rip out the module for all those connectors to add in the g-sync module.

So unless they asked Nvidia to modify the G-sync module, that is not possible.

What does the G-Sync module have anything to do with having extra port. I know it's a separate module and takes up space, but at least Asus can be kind enough to include just 1 extra port like DVI or HDMI. Acer Predator X34 also supports G-Sync and it has DP and HDMI. The extra port isn't for G-Sync, but more options to try out, when your doing some troubleshooting, like the problem @tommi_6o is having. 

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

14 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

What does the G-Sync module have anything to do with having extra port. I know it's a separate module and takes up space, but at least Asus can be kind enough to include just 1 extra port like DVI or HDMI. Acer Predator X34 also supports G-Sync and it has DP and HDMI. The extra port isn't for G-Sync, but more options to try out, when your doing some troubleshooting, like the problem @tommi_6o is having. 

I have the OG Swift. The new one has hdmi and displayport but G-sync only works with DP. They could have added a hdmi port but they would have needed an extra scaler to make it work. With the new Swift the upgraded G-synch module supports the hdmi input without an extra scaler.

4 hours ago, tommi_6o said:

EDIT: Seems like my monitor is at fault. I still need to try another DP cable.

I gave gad this issues with no more than 6 different PG278Q. It is all down to the DP cable.  2560x144 at 144hz take a lot of bandwidth. The cables Asus ship with the monitors seem to be sure par.  Get a decent cable with enough rated bandwidth and you should be fine. 

42 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

I gave gad this issues with no more than 6 different PG278Q. It is all down to the DP cable.  2560x144 at 144hz take a lot of bandwidth. The cables Asus ship with the monitors seem to be sure par.  Get a decent cable with enough rated bandwidth and you should be fine. 

Other people have had the exact same issues as I'm having with this monitor. I'll try a few different dp cables.

Edit: I can't read today it seems... So you fixed the same issue with just changing the cable?

Just now, tommi_6o said:

Other people have had the exact same issues as I'm having with this monitor. I'll try a few different dp cables.

Well at least you're not undoing that water loop now.  :D