Unusual temperaturess after new thermal paste

Go to solution Solved by LeandroMLopes,

I figured out the problem :) It actually was the fan that already had too much dirt! I cleaned it up and got 20ºC less :)

Hello everyone

Yesterday I was cleaning my laptop's fan and decided to change the thermal paste and apply new one. I use MX-4 which is one of the best and I applied it, assembled the laptop, saw the temperatures and at just browsing, the CPU is between 40-50ºC and after playing GTA V, the CPU get around 90ºC!

How is this possible? I just applied new thermal paste, the fan is dustless and the temps get to 90ºC? I figured I might have applied it wrong, but I don't think so. I used the pea method for both the CPU and GPU (which goes to around 80ºC gaming) and then I opened the laptop again, tried the spreading method, got the exact same temps, tried the pea method again, same thing...

My cpu is a Core i5 3230M and GPU is an nvidia GT740M.

Do you guys have any idea why this is happening? The last time I put new thermal paste, the temps at gaming were only around 70ºC...

Thank you in advance

i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 MAX-Q | 16 GB DDR4 | SM961 NVMe SSD 256 GB |

I had the same problems. Coolers are sometimes difficult to install try reinstalling it... 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I had the same problems. Coolers are sometimes difficult to install try reinstalling it... 

More carefully and tightly 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

U sure U don't need 0,5mm thermalpad there ?

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

2 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

It's not a cooler :b this is a laptop, it's only a copper heatsink, it is very similar to this: Toshiba-Cooling-Fan-Heatsink-H000050260-

2 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

More carefully and tightly 

I did that :/ the last time I applied the thermal paste, I screwed it to its full tightness, to no avail... 

2 hours ago, mikat said:

maybe there is not enough thermal paste, you should reapply it again and show us photos of the thermal paste that is on the heatsink when you take it off :)

I'm pretty sure there's more than enough :/ the last appliance I made, I used the spreading method and after spreading it, there was a layer all over it, I think it was enough, but I'll let it sit for a few days and see if it gets better, which I don't think it will... After that, I'll apply it again and photograph everything so I can show you guys

2 hours ago, agent_x007 said:

U sure U don't need 0,5mm thermalpad there ?

I don't think so :/ When I first took the heatsink out, there were no thermal pads, so... But it's an option, I'll try to see into that, maybe that can be a solution, I don't know...

It is really weird... Contact the manufacturer... Maybe they will know?

18 hours ago, LeandroMLopes said:

It's not a cooler :b this is a laptop, it's only a copper heatsink, it is very similar to this: Toshiba-Cooling-Fan-Heatsink-H000050260-

Aka...a blower style heatsink which is also known as a cooler as it's cooling the CPU/GPU :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I figured out the problem :) It actually was the fan that already had too much dirt! I cleaned it up and got 20ºC less :)