Touch ID may have just been hacked

amiah137

... I'd still consider it to be a pretty secure method to lock your phone.

i agree, ill notice if somebody is following me and checking out stuff I touch with a 1200 dpi camera.

but still, that was quick!

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

What about holding someone at a gun point, eh? Much easier, same effect.

Building a PC: check it out here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qvon

This really isnt specific to the iPhone. Most fingerprint scanners can be fooled into reading a print from something else.

Most people are missing the point of this.  Apple along with many others, said that TouchID would be extremely hard if not impossible to beat.  The guy who originally posted the bounty did so because he thought it'd be impossible.  This goes to show how wrong they were not that I think anyone that is not an Apple fanboi is surprised about this.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

Actually this is pretty bad new for iPhone 5s user, if your phone is stolen, you are pretty much screwed. Your fingerprint is all over your phone and that scanner doesn't need real finger to unlock = anyone can hack your phone :/

Actually this is pretty bad new for iPhone 5s user, if your phone is stolen, you are pretty much screwed. Your fingerprint is all over your phone and that scanner doesn't need real finger to unlock = anyone can hack your phone :/

Doesn't it require a very high DPI copy of your fingerprint? I wouldn't worry about someone lifting a print of your phone and using it to unlock it.

CM 690 II Lite | Crucial M4 128GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda Intel i5 2500k @ stock | Sapphire HD 7950 3GB Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Corsair TX650 V2 

Windows 8 Professional 64bit 

So what did you expect, that you couldn't fool an Apple fingerprint scanner with a fake print like you can with any other fingerprint scanner?

can't say i'm suprised, this will be big set back for apple trying to re-assure their customers.

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

Is anyone actually surprised by this? Of course it will get 'hacked', like everything else will be.

And I dont think the fingerprint scanner from apple's side was supposed to be the most secure thing ever, and I would almost guess that apple knew it was going to get hacked, sooner or later.

It is still way safer than the code combination, and fingerprint still requires alot of hazzle to crack, than the 4 digit code.

Fingerprint is safe, but its not 100% safe, and i still dont understand why people act surprised it was hacked, and start to blame apple for it not being safe. There's no such thing as 100% safe in the tech world.

--

English is my second language.

PC setup

Case: Fractal Define Nano S Windowed | Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty x370 Gaming-ITX/AC | CPU: Ryzen 1700 @ 3,8 GHz | GPU: Nvidia 1080 Ti Founders Edition | Ram: G.Skill Flare X @ 2933MHz | PSU: Corsair RM850

Cooling

CPU: EK Supremacy EVO | GPU: EK Block + Backplate | Rad: 2x EK-CoolStream SE 240 | Pump: EK XTOP DDC 3.2 | Res: EK-Res X3 110 | Fans: 4x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000

Misc: EK fittings | EK Ekoolant EVO | EK Duraclear tubing

Is anyone actually surprised by this? Of course it will get 'hacked', like everything else will be.

And I dont think the fingerprint scanner from apple's side was supposed to be the most secure thing ever, and I would almost guess that apple knew it was going to get hacked, sooner or later.

It is still way safer than the code combination, and fingerprint still requires alot of hazzle to crack, than the 4 digit code.

Fingerprint is safe, but its not 100% safe, and i still dont understand why people act surprised it was hacked, and start to blame apple for it not being safe. There's no such thing as 100% safe in the tech world.

--

Sure, anything will eventually get hacked.  Just its bad when people will be able to lift prints from your phone and then use them to unlock it.  I don't really even call this hacking, its more of a trick, one that Apple promised wouldn't fool their sensor; but it appears it does.

Either way, their customer base doesn't care... they're easier to fool than the fingerprint sensor.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

--

Personally I would say it is easier to get someones fingerprint than cracking their passcode (unless they chose a very weak passcode). (10000 combinations...so on average you could have to try 5000 times to get into the phone, assuming it doesn't have a wipe function).

The thing to think about in this case is 2400dpi is what they used to accomplish it (they printed it using 1200 dpi).  So it would stand to reason that it could be done potentially with a lower resolution scan....Even with a fingerprint on a phone, and a scanner you can get a good fingerprint...blow it up by 2000% then hand draw in the missing arcs then scale back to normal scale (just a theory).

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

I don't let anyone touch my phone in the first place.

And I doubt anyone at my university or work is smart enough to hack it.

Famous last words of ... everyone who got Fraped ever   :D

PS: Told ya so :P:D  B)

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly