Purdue vs University of Toronto

ashwinchidanand

Hey guys,

So I got accepted into both universities for COMPUTER SCIENCE. Since I am neither from USA nor Canada , I really dont know how I should go about choosing.

HELP

If you want to learn anything of value avoid the US - go to the UK preferably - or France/Germany

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

If you want to learn anything of value avoid the US - go to the UK preferably - or France/Germany

Then I take it you learned in the US.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Just now, Gofspar said:

Then I take it you learned in the US.

Nah, not that rich xD

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Cute :P most of the best schools in the world are in the U.S. The U.S. is just shit for earlier-life education. But for colleges / universities? There's no reason to leave and have a direct downgrade:

http://www.thebestschools.org/features/100-best-universities-in-world-today/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2015/09/30/the-2015-world-university-rankings-are-these-really-the-planets-best-schools/

@ashwinchidanand idk about university of toronto, but I've heard that Purdue is fantastic. My little sister will likely be going there.

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

Oxford, Cambridge, Sorbonne - Europe is superior friend

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

You can list those. I can list many MANY others that are above them.

http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2014.html

That isn't to say that those are bad schools... Their fantastic. But your previous point is almost entirely invalid.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

You can list those. I can list many MANY others that are above them.

http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2014.html

I saw the list above - I also know what half those listed are - enroll there if you don't believe me - go and be disappointed.

Just now, don_svetlio said:

I saw the list above - I also know what half those listed are - enroll there if you don't believe me - go and be disappointed.

That speaks more towards your personal ignorance... I listed several sources stating almost identical findings.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

That speaks more towards your personal ignorance... I listed several sources stating almost identical findings.

Sorry but I've seen what comes out of those schools - except the highest tier (and generally extremely expensive one) the rest are mediocre at best and crap at worst.

Yeah... Yeah no. Each one of those is a leader in it's field. MIT? Harvard? Standford? Purdue? Princeton? UPen? Yale? You're making baseless claims and just ignoring facts.

OP is talking about Purdue, an absolutely fantastic school.

Sorry but I've seen what comes out of those schools - except the highest tier (and generally extremely expensive one) the rest are mediocre at best and crap at worst.

6 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

I wouldn't exactly consider those cheap... Regardless OP is in computer science, and in that field I would say the US basically unilaterally dominates.

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Yeah... Yeah no. Each one of those is a leader in it's field. MIT? Harvard? Standford? Purdue? Princeton? Yale? You're making baseless claims and just ignoring facts.

OP is talking about Purdue, an absolutely fantastic school.

Those are the extremely high-cost-high-tier ones I was referring to. But those are only about 5% of all the ones in the US

6 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Those are the extremely high-cost-high-tier ones I was referring to. But those are only about 5% of all the ones in the US

Oh and look, your only examples were high-tier ones in Europe... That are below the high-tier ones in the U.S. And the U.S. has a hell of a lot more high-tier ones on every list. So your claim that "If you want to learn anything of value avoid the US - go to the UK preferably - or France/Germany" has no logical backing... Since the U.S. is ahead of those areas in education.

You're too smart for this. You know that all you're doing right now is plugging your ears.

3 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Oh and look, your only examples were high-tier ones in Europe...

exactly...

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

24 minutes ago, ashwinchidanand said:

Hey guys,

So u I accepted into both universities for COMPUTER SCIENCE. Since I am neither from USA or Canada , I really dont know how I should go about choosing.

HELP

OP if you can go check out both in person; its worlds better than simply reading about college online

I'm currently enrolled at Purdue, and I can tell you that I REALLY love it. The courses are great and engaging, the professors are, in general, intelligent and helpful, the dining courts are amazing, there's a lot of clubs and events, the internet is really fast(Gigabit up and down), if a bit unreliable from time to time, and I've only scratched the surface! The only downside is that it's in Indiana. :P Though, to be fair, this state isn't ALL bad. At least the weather's nice...err, by that, I mean it can change drastically really quickly, and we get a bit of everything here: snow, rain, thunderstorms, tornadoes, hail, sun, clouds, fairly high winds...Well, I, like it.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

43 minutes ago, ashwinchidanand said:

Hey guys,

So u I accepted into both universities for COMPUTER SCIENCE. Since I am neither from USA or Canada , I really dont know how I should go about choosing.

HELP

Prepare your bank account for OUTRAGEOUS tuition and residence fees.

Computer Science is a pretty difficult Program. And U of T is notorious for its difficulty (I'm experiencing it first hand X_X).

That being said, both Universities are fantastic. You should go visit both campus and choose which one you like best.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

1 hour ago, JoeyDM said:

Oh and look, your only examples were high-tier ones in Europe... That are below the high-tier ones in the U.S. And the U.S. has a hell of a lot more high-tier ones on every list. So your claim that "If you want to learn anything of value avoid the US - go to the UK preferably - or France/Germany" has no logical backing... Since the U.S. is ahead of those areas in education.

You're too smart for this. You know that all you're doing right now is plugging your ears.

Please stop wrecking him.

Anyway, OP. Purdue is very well regarded in the US which is already considered the best country for higher education. I can't speak for University of Toronto but Purdue is very good.

1 minute ago, AyeJayKay said:

I wasn't wrecking him... He's cool. Just being a bit stubborn and ignoring evidence atm because he has already made up his mind on a topic.

The point is I cant visit these 2 universities. How are the job placements compared to each other?  

I wasnt able to get a seat at the main campus since they were full but I got accepted into the other 2. I have heard that it is easier comparatively. 

2 hours ago, ashwinchidanand said:

Hey guys,

So I got accepted into both universities for COMPUTER SCIENCE. Since I am neither from USA nor Canada , I really dont know how I should go about choosing.

HELP

for UofT(toronto one), i duno about their program, but its a good school, with good rep.  The area you'll live in is pretty lively too.  So if you are into night life, it'll do you fine.  In general, you'll be living in the heart of the city, so, it wont really look and feel like you are living in school.  Judging from just photos i googled for Purdue, it looks like a damn nice school, where it has a huge campus that looks like a school/university.  Not saying that UofT doesn't have good classrooms, and campus, but UofT is kinda mixed in with the city.  

I just read you asked about job placements.  I think it might be easier for you to get a job in the USA, Toronto has lots of jobs, but i dont think it can compare to the US in areas of technology. 

However, Canada is pretty awesome.  =)

46 minutes ago, ashwinchidanand said:

I wasnt able to get a seat at the main campus since they were full but I got accepted into the other 2. I have heard that it is easier comparatively. 

Like UTM and UTSC? UTSC is harder, because their Comp Sci Program is more math intensive.

We take St. George's exams for breakfast. xD

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.