R9 270 Overclocking

Camcognito
Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,
2 minutes ago, Camcognito said:

Is my psu not safe for overclocking? I'd made a thread about it and someone said it was. If not thats fine, don't want to ruin my pc

@tahmidkhan123

@Moonzy

@themctipers

some may argue its safe

some may argue its not

my opinion is, just do it if you want. your card and cpu isnt that high wattage consumption anyway

but i personally wouldnt do it because im a chicken

Alright, so I downloaded MSI Afterburner and Ungine Valley, and I am ready to start overclocking my graphics card. The only problem is, I dont now where to start. What values should I increase in MSI Afterburner, and by how much should I increase them at a time? I've never done anything like this, and I don't want to ruin my card. Thanks

| CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 | GPU: PowerColor R9 270 | Motherboard: Asrock H81M-HDS | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB |

|HDD: Western Digital 1TB | Case: NZXT Source 210 | PSU: Corsair CX430W | 

| Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Mouse: Corsair K65 RGB | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma |

Core Clock MHz -> +50 first time, +10 second, and so on. If it gets unstable -5Mhz.

Memory Clock MHz -> +5.

Power limit + Core Voltage -> Don't Touch.

Change your fan speed curve.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 hours ago, themctipers said:

Core Clock MHz -> +50 first time, +10 second, and so on. If it gets unstable -5Mhz.

Memory Clock MHz -> +5.

Power limit + Core Voltage -> Don't Touch.

Change your fan speed curve.

how will I be able to tell if it gets unstable?

| CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 | GPU: PowerColor R9 270 | Motherboard: Asrock H81M-HDS | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB |

| Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Mouse: Corsair K65 RGB | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma |

Just now, Camcognito said:

how will I be able to tell if it gets unstable?

Artifacting, crashing, AMD Drivers have crashed.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

-stares at your psu-

yea... i wouldnt overclock on that

but thats just me

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Is my psu not safe for overclocking? I'd made a thread about it and someone said it was. If not thats fine, don't want to ruin my pc

@tahmidkhan123

@Moonzy

@themctipers

4 minutes ago, Camcognito said:

corsair cx series psu s are not the best out there, very budget units. I'm using one myself but a higher wattage one (600w). I've got a mild oc on my gpu but because my psu exceeds my required wattage, I'm comfortable with it. I feel that you are already near your 430watt limit with your current hardware. I personally woudn't risk, especially for the minimal gain. 

3 minutes ago, Camcognito said:

@tahmidkhan123

@Moonzy

@themctipers

Well I woudn't overclock with the PSU you have currently. You should go and get a better power supply;preferabally a EVGA G2 750w.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, Camcognito said:

@tahmidkhan123

@Moonzy

@themctipers

some may argue its safe

some may argue its not

my opinion is, just do it if you want. your card and cpu isnt that high wattage consumption anyway

Alright, I won't overclock. I'll probably buy a new psu, as well as maybe another motherboard and some ram. thanks for replies!

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

preferabally a EVGA G2 750w.

that would be totally unecessary... and overkill

something like a seasonic S12II or M12II 520W is more than enough for an i3 + r9 270

2 hours ago, Moonzy said:

some may argue its safe

some may argue its not

I don't really struggle for the extra performance at the moment, so I'll just say safe...                             for now

1 minute ago, Camcognito said:

I don't really struggle for the extra performance, so I'll just say safe 

the best way to find out is just ask @STRMfrmXMN whether its safe

i would say it is safe, just that i wouldnt do it, but what do i know xD

12 hours ago, Moonzy said:

the best way to find out is just ask @STRMfrmXMN whether its safe

i would say it is safe, just that i wouldnt do it, but what do i know xD

Should be safe.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

well since STRMfrmXMN gave the green light

here's a guide on how to OC

it's not a great guide but it covers the basics

if you have any questions then you can ask me :D

On 4/28/2016 at 1:54 PM, Moonzy said:

well since STRMfrmXMN gave the green light

here's a guide on how to OC

it's not a great guide but it covers the basics

if you have any questions then you can ask

Skimmed through it, seems pretty easy. One concern I have is by what increments at a time do I change the sliders, and how do I know when I've gone too much? 

1 minute ago, Camcognito said:

Skimmed through it, seems pretty easy. One concern I have is by what increments at a time do I change the sliders, and how do I know when I've gone too much? 

mmm

here's my overclocking guide

Spoiler

for msi afterburner:

you can slide the voltage and power limit to max if you're comfortable with it, or leave them untouched

then increment your coreclock by 5 or 10, depending on how patient you are

and run your stress test for 5 minutes, if it doesnt crash, raise the clock speed again, i normally run one round of fire strike

repeat until your system crashed or you see artifacts, reduce the clock speed by 20, and slowly overclock the memory with the same method

after you found the stable core and memory clock, do a long stress test (i use unigine heaven) for about 1 to 4 hours depending on your patience, the longer the better

and if it crash or produce artifacts before time is up, lower core and memory clock by 5 or 10 and repeat

after long stress test, run games and test from AAA titles to low gpu usage titles (i use tomb raider, assassin's creed and starcraft), see if it crash,

if it crash, lower the clock of both core and memory again by 5 or 10

remember to monitor your temps and core and memory clock speed, see if they are stable or jumping around while you're doing all the stress tests

if it jumps around in the long test it means its not stable and you probably need to raise the core clock or the power limit, or temp limit depending on whats limiting you