i7 6700k VS gtx 970 4gb ARMA 3

ImGodz

Hi, I would like to know if it would be better for me to buy a i7 6700k or a gtx 970 to increase my fps in arma 3 (hopefully over 60fps)

my current specs are:

radeon r9 270x gigabyte 2gb 

i5 3470

24gb RAM

and ask for other specs if needed..

Thanks! :D

ps: my budget is to low to get the two

a gtx 970, since the limiting factor of your current spec is the gpu

unless arma 3 is cpu intensive then i could be wrong

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Arma 3 is a really intensive cpu game

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

arma 3 is insanely cpu heavy. 

It quite literally only runs off a single thread a majority of the time. Higher clock speed = far better fps in that game.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

2 minutes ago, Atmos said:

arma 3 is insanely cpu heavy. 

It quite literally only runs off a single thread a majority of the time. Higher clock speed = far better fps in that game.

yea i checked the benchmarks for that game, gpu load not even 100% `-`

@ImGodz

i guess you could go i5 6500, an i7 is just not worth it for gaming imo

or an i5 6600K and overclock the snot out of it :D

yea i checked the benchmarks for that game, gpu load not even 100% `-`

@ImGodz

i guess you could go i5 6500, an i7 is just not worth it for gaming imo

with my budget I could go with the i5 6600k but I heard that the difference between i5 3470 and i5 6600k is not big...

1 minute ago, ImGodz said:

with my budget I could go with the i5 6600k but I heard that the difference between i5 3470 and i5 6600k is not big...

yea i edited my post, get the i5 6600k if its single core performance you're looking for

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3470

look at this, the difference doesn't seems really big?

1) cpuboss isnt a great website to compare performance

2) you can overclock the 6600K

3) 6600K gets DDR4 bandwidth, so given its better cpu architecture + higher ram bandwidth, it will perform much faster than a 3rd gen i5

1) cpuboss isnt a great website to compare performance

2) you can overclock the 6600K

3) 6600K gets DDR4 bandwidth, so given its better cpu architecture + higher ram bandwidth, it will perform much faster than a 3rd gen i5

okay, but because I play a lot of other games too I don't know what to do :P, because I would really like to have at least more then 40fps in arma 3 but still want my upgrade to have an effect on other games too... 

i'm gonna back the 6600k, get a nice cooler on it, and OC the devil out of it.

we're touching minecraft terretory kind of cpu heavy here :P

4 minutes ago, ImGodz said:

okay, but because I play a lot of other games too I don't know what to do :P, because I would really like to have at least more then 40fps in arma 3 but still want my upgrade to have an effect on other games too... 

well there's not much gpu you can get from the money you saved from going with an i5 instead of an i7

just stick with what gpu you have and buy pascal/polaris when they launch :D

hey dude. I saw this post and figured i would reply. I have over 3800 hours on arma 3, and when i first started i had a horrible rig. If you want to get good frames in Arma 3, you need to have great single core CPU performance. Arma FPS is also really Server dependent, if there are alot of scripts running the worse your fps. The server i play on has about 150 custom scripts running, and only lags in lowns. i have an i7 6700k OC to 4.8 and a 980 ti with 32GB of ram. heres a video, just showing the sort of frames i get with my rig 

fb97813af3e338d4afb173762ca163ae.png

3 hours ago, L9th9L said:

hey dude. I saw this post and figured i would reply. I have over 3800 hours on arma 3, and when i first started i had a horrible rig. If you want to get good frames in Arma 3, you need to have great single core CPU performance. Arma FPS is also really Server dependent, if there are alot of scripts running, you the fps will get worse. The server i play on has about 150 custom scripts running, and only lags in lowns. i have an i7 6700k OC to 4.8 and a 980 ti with 32GB of ram. heres a video, just showing the sort of frames i get with my rig 

fb97813af3e338d4afb173762ca163ae.png

You make me jalous with your 60 fps :( haha, I just hope I had the money to buy those components! but what do you think, should i upgrade my gpu or my cpu first?

well there's not much gpu you can get from the money you saved from going with an i5 instead of an i7

just stick with what gpu you have and buy pascal/polaris when they launch :D

okay I will check that thanks ! :D

You make me jalous with your 60 fps :( haha, I just hope I had the money to buy those components! but what do you think, should i upgrade my gpu or my cpu first?

if you plan on playing arma, your CPU is the most important component. I used to play with a 750ti and i only noticed a difference when i upgraded my CPU

if you plan on playing arma, your CPU is the most important component. I used to play with a 750ti and i only noticed a difference when i upgraded my CPU

okay, and would the i5 6600k be great our should I go in the i7 ?

okay, and would the i5 6600k be great our should I go in the i7 ?

that would be a good choice imo. Make sure you have a good cooler and just overclock ;)

that would be a good choice imo. Make sure you have a good cooler and just overclock ;)

The problem is that I don't know how to overclock a pc and I wouldn't be able to afford a watercooling system :P  

or would a fan over the cpu be enough ?

I will back up the 6600k recommendation.  Mine overclocked to an easy 4.7ghz, and from what I have seen that seems a fairly normal overclock for this cpu.  It even pulls a better score in cinebench by a good amount, than my old i7 3770 did.

The cpu does not come with a stock cooler.  So you will have to buy one, but, if you have enough money for a 6700k, you have enough money for a 6600k and a sufficient cooler for a decent overclock.  There's about a $110 price difference between the 2 cpu's which is PLENTY for a decent cooler.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop