nVidia GTX 1080 Board Pictured

Paragon_X
3 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

You're right, I should've looked that up before posting it. Could've sworn the last so many -80's were all $500-$550.  I always go for the reference cards, but usually never buy close to the initial release.

OH! And the 280 followed the 780's pricing scheme, $650 then $500.

10 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

1080 ti wont be coming anytime soon, i bet it'll take another year

because nvidia wants people to jump from 980 ti -> 1080 -> 1080ti :P

*cries* Well I'll see if I'd go for a 1080 or grab a 980ti if the price drops :P, thanks for the info btw

5 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

So why call it the 1080? A lot of uninformed people will now go "oh, apparently it's only good for 1080p since it's in the name, I guess I'll skip this card and look further" only to find either 980s on sale or cards from the red team.

Yeah it is a pretty stupid name imo

3 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

I don't think we technically know that it'll be 10xx yet. Up until launch week we all thought that amd was going with 8xxx for their (non-mobile) graphics cards, instead they went with r9 & r7 2xx.

I think this is pretty much confirmed at this point.  I mean, we've even seen pictures of the reference shroud with that name on it.  Unless they went to the extent of releasing fake leaks just to throw us off the name (which seems rather unlikely), I think it's going to be GTX 1080

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah it is a pretty stupid name imo

I think this is pretty much confirmed at this point.  I mean, we've even seen pictures of the reference shroud with that name on it.  Unless they went to the extent of releasing fake leaks just to throw us off the name (which seems rather unlikely), I think it's going to be GTX 1080

Was that shit-shroud and official "leak"? I was under the impression that it was still rumor-mill? Not disagreeing with you, it's probably going to be the 1080. 

11 minutes ago, xgn said:

I read the Gtx 1080 TI is suppose be twice as fast as gtx 980ti. However i want to buy 1060 or 1070.

I very seriously doubt that.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

OH! And the 280 followed the 780's pricing scheme, $650 then $500.

So price hikes at architecture changes? I have been assuming the 1080 would be around $600.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

So price hikes at architecture changes? I have been assuming the 1080 would be around $600.

Idk if it's that or arbitrary. I honestly expect that it's arbitrary. I wouldn't be too surprised with either $500 or $650, although due to their grip on the market share, I'm expecting $650.

50 minutes ago, Paragon_X said:

According to eTeknix this is the board of the GTX 1080 and it appears to have GDDR5X

that's not a GTX 1080, but a mock-up done by VideoCardz.com based on a partial shot of GTX1080 PCB; presumed to be a MSI custom board design

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/578546-desktop-pascal-based-video-cards-to-paper-launch-at-computex-and-ship-in-july/?page=4#comment-7638916

i am fine with my 980Ti... will be waiting a 1080Ti in HBM 2.0 hopefully.

I wish i could oc my body, during winter overheating would be great.

would be interesting to see nvidia with gddr5x vs amd with hbm(2)

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

35 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Was that shit-shroud and official "leak"? I was under the impression that it was still rumor-mill? Not disagreeing with you, it's probably going to be the 1080. 

It looked like one of the factory workers snuck a quick picture of it on the assembly line.  You can tell the environment and lighting seem to match this.

Spoiler

Nvidia-GTX-1080-and-1070-3.jpg

NVIDIA-GeForce-Pascal-Graphics-Cards.jpg

We also have this one:

Spoiler

Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-1080-shroud-photo.jpg

I think either nvidia is putting a lot of effort into misleading people into thinking it is a GTX 1080 and are keeping the real name secret, or (more likely imo) these are real.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Man this wait is annoying. Someone freeze me until the new cards launch. One thing I'm hoping is that neither vendor leaves a huge performance gulf again like we saw between the 970 and 960 & 390 and 380x.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

3 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

People here are going to be butthurt like hell when that 1070 launches at $420-$450. 

As hilarious as that would be, I expect the 1070 to launch at a similar price as the 970.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Nice, I want it to be December already so I can see some benchmarks :D

16 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

People here are going to be butthurt like hell when that 1070 launches at $420-$450. 

welcome to Canada :D 

welcome to Canada :D 

I'm Proud to be an american! 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

1 minute ago, FatPenguin said:

I'm Proud to be an american! 

Well, not having the 970 typically be 

$420-$450

is a good reason :P

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, not having the 970 typically be 

is a good reason :P

yeah that kinda nice

up9lnbO.png

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

yeah that kinda nice

The ridiculous thing is I can't even blame it on our crappy dollar.  They were like that from launch, back when we were pretty close to parity (well close enough).  Yet, they didn't really get any worse price wise since then... o.O (that all, iirc)

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The ridiculous thing is I can't even blame it on our crappy dollar.  They were like that from launch, back when we were pretty close to parity (well close enough).  Yet, they didn't really get any worse price wise since then... o.O (that all, iirc)

how far from the border do you live? if you live close you can drive across the border, buy a prepaid card, go to a library use their computer and buy the stuff and have it shipped to someone you know that lives in the us

how far from the border do you live? if you live close you can drive across the border, buy a prepaid card, go to a library use their computer and buy the stuff and have it shipped to someone you know that lives in the us

Well, far enough that I bet that's not worth the hassle, time, and probably import fees. ;)  And right now it actually wouldn't help because of the exchange rate would probably make it cost the same as what I could buy it for here.

Well, far enough that I bet that's not worth the hassle, time, and probably import fees. ;)  And right now it actually wouldn't help because of the exchange rate would probably make it cost the same as what I could buy it for here.

welp. that sucks. 

2 hours ago, ivan134 said:

As hilarious as that would be, I expect the 1070 to launch at a similar price as the 970.

I don't. 

1. AMD was near 40% of the market before the 970 launch, now they're closer to 20%.

2. AMD had really robust competition for the 970 with Hawaii. Now they won't compete with GP104 until Vega since Polaris 11 is entry level and Polaris 10 is likely to be around 970/390 performance based on how AMD is marketing it as being designed to bring VR to the mainstream, and also based on the Polaris die being much smaller than the GP104 die.

So Nvidia doesn't need to bring something that shakes up the gpu market like they did with the 970. They might make more money selling at closer to the $400 price point they launched the GTX 670 and GTX 770 at. Add a little bit of price inflation that Nvidia loves so much and $420-$450 seems about right. I just hope it's the second tier GP104 selling for this price and not the third tier one that should be called GTX 1060Ti if they stuck to Kepler/Maxwell naming (though under Fermi naming the GTX 1080 or GTX 1080 Ti (whichever is the full GP104 chip) is a GTX 560 Ti successor).

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's a little hard to believe...

why is it so hard to believe? if you do a node shrink from 28nm to 16nm you have (theoretically) , for the same surface area, double the number of transistors

and not even counting the architectural differences