i7-6700k vs i7-5920k

I want to be able to make games in unreal engine 4, run games in 4k, and use virtual reality. I am waiting for nvidia to release pascal before I buy a gpu. I will probably end up with a 1080 ti.

I know that the 6700k has better single-thread performance than the 5920k. While I would appreciate more cores, I am hesitant to buy a cpu that is 20 months old. Will the slower single threaded performance and older architecture make the 5920k a bad option, or should I take it in favor of more cores? I will be overclocking with a kraken x61 or something similar.

there are VERY few games that can use more than 8 threads

if you plan to do editing/rendering/3d modeling then get the 5920k

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

for now, cpu bottleneck isnt an issue so their performance difference in games is just slightly

when they start becoming a bottleneck (few years down the road), DX12 is probably mainstream and more cores should help by then

though not sure if u mean 5820k or 5930k, but same argument for either anyway

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

7 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

for now, cpu bottleneck isnt an issue so their performance difference in games is just slightly

when they start becoming a bottleneck (few years down the road), DX12 is probably mainstream and more cores should help by then

though not sure if u mean 5820k or 5930k, but same argument for either anyway

Are you saying the 5820k will last longer / be more future proof? That doesn't seem very logical given the 6700k is much more recent

1 minute ago, Captain_Sisko said:

Are you saying the 5820k will last longer / be more future proof? That doesn't seem very logical given the 6700k is much more recent

but the performance difference is there

what you're trying to say is the newest i3 6100 will last longer than a 5960X? most probably not

im not trying to call you dumb or anything, but its good to take extreme ends to think about things :P

8 minutes ago, Captain_Sisko said:

They are only one generation apart, and in recent years the generational gap in performance for Intel CPUs is quite small. Skylake isn't substantially faster than Haswell in most cases. The 5820K is considered more future-proof here because it has 50% more cores.

Even with DirectX 12, I think IPC will be an issue before the overall multi-threaded performance of the 6700K would be, so I don't think there's much reason to go X99 over Z170. The 6700K should be fine and I imagine it and the 5820K would be obsolete for gaming around the same time. I think in most cases the performance difference between the two CPUs would be negligible.

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

but the performance difference is there

what you're trying to say is the newest i3 6100 will last longer than a 5960X? most probably not

im not trying to call you dumb or anything, but its good to take extreme ends to think about things :P

But these two chips are about the same price. I don't think the price for the haswell-e has dropped too much since it is still the latest enthusiast chip.

The 6700K is the best gaming CPU on the planet. It has the highest IPC as well as the benefit of 8 threads. However, the 5820K is a much better CPU overall. You sound like a hardcore gamer if you want to get into VR and such so just get the 6700K.

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

1 minute ago, Captain_Sisko said:

But these two chips are about the same price. I don't think the price for the haswell-e has dropped too much since it is still the latest enthusiast chip.

It actually has dropped a lot. 5820K is around $300 USD in the US and $250 USD used. It wouldn't go beneath $400 when it first came out. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

2 minutes ago, Captain_Sisko said:

pretty sure the haswell-e chip's price will drop slightly when broadwell-e is released though :P

but yea like others mentioned, the 5820k will probably be obsolete by the time you get to use extra cores in gaming

but its hard to say, if DX12 uses more cores, it will definitely push back upgrades for another generation or two compared to the 6700K

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

pretty sure the haswell-e chip's price will drop slightly when broadwell-e is released though :P

but yea like others mentioned, the 5820k will probably be obsolete by the time you get to use extra cores in gaming

but its hard to say, if DX12 uses more cores, it will definitely push back upgrades for another generation or two compared to the 6700K

6 minutes ago, afyeung said:

It actually has dropped a lot. 5820K is around $300 USD in the US and $250 USD used. It wouldn't go beneath $400 when it first came out. 

I stand corrected. 

I think I'll go with the 6700k. Thanks!