Which SSD should I choose?

Fortress
Go to solution Solved by Senzelian,

I would buy the Adata SP550, simply because it comes at the lowest price.
You'll most likely not notice the difference between any of those drives and because the SP550 does SLC caching you can expect really quick boot times. The OCZ Trion does the same, but at a higher price.

7 minutes ago, Jer45 said:

reliability says 535 series

just bought the sp550 and it is so freaking fast, the spining light balls in windows 7 dont even start making a windows logo before it gets done loading

That is what I mean with SLC caching. Boot times are insanely fast.

It is correct that the 535 series is more reliable than most other lower end SSDs, simply because Intel uses MLC Micron NAND, but also a SandForce controller. Currently we are at a point where TLC NAND is so good when it comes to reliability, that it doesn't actually matter much anymore, if you buy a MLC or TLC drive, at least from a consumer standpoint. But I would rather trust a Silicon Motion controller than a SandForce controller and that's why my vote goes to the SP550.

My HTPC hard drive (An old WD Raptor WD740 drive purchased back in 2005) recently failed, so instead of replacing it with a traditional hard drive, I decided to replace it with an SSD so the HTPC can be a bit faster, and a bit silent. My current choices for the SSD are:

Note:   I know that my choices are limited because sadly I cannot buy from any online retailers because my credit card has been blocked, that's why I'm limited to local retailers.

• OCZ Trion 120 120GB SSD - $57.58
  • Intel 535 Series 120GB SSD - $ 55.63
  • SanDisk Plus 120GB SSD - $52.42
  • Adata SP550 120GB SSD - $ 49.00

Which one is better? I have absolutely no clue since this will be the first time I'm buying an SSD. Help would be appreciated

Has a Ph.D in Nothing and does not speak Chinese, Italian or French. (aber ich kann Deutsch sprechen)

6 minutes ago, Fortress said:

My HTPC hard drive (An old WD Raptor WD740 drive purchased back in 2005) recently failed, so instead of replacing it with a traditional hard drive, I decided to replace it with an SSD so the HTPC can be a bit faster, and a bit silent. My current choices for the SSD are:

Note:   I know that my choices are limited because sadly I cannot buy from any online retailers because my credit card has been blocked, that's why I'm limited to local retailers.

• OCZ Trion 120 120GB SSD - $57.58
  • Intel 535 Series 120GB SSD - $ 55.63
  • SanDisk Plus 120GB SSD - $52.42
  • Adata SP550 120GB SSD - $ 49.00

Which one is better? I have absolutely no clue since this will be the first time I'm buying an SSD. Help would be appreciated

just bought the sp550 and it is so freaking fast, the spining light balls in windows 7 dont even start making a windows logo before it gets done loading

I would buy the Adata SP550, simply because it comes at the lowest price.
You'll most likely not notice the difference between any of those drives and because the SP550 does SLC caching you can expect really quick boot times. The OCZ Trion does the same, but at a higher price.

7 minutes ago, Jer45 said:

That is what I mean with SLC caching. Boot times are insanely fast.

It is correct that the 535 series is more reliable than most other lower end SSDs, simply because Intel uses MLC Micron NAND, but also a SandForce controller. Currently we are at a point where TLC NAND is so good when it comes to reliability, that it doesn't actually matter much anymore, if you buy a MLC or TLC drive, at least from a consumer standpoint. But I would rather trust a Silicon Motion controller than a SandForce controller and that's why my vote goes to the SP550.

Edited by Senzelian

Another vote for the 535.  Its probably not the fastest drive, but its certainly the most well known of the bunch and thus will probably fetch the best resale.