GTX 950 SLI?

DeathCyeth

My current computer had a ASUS Strix GTX 950. I'm debating on either selling that card and buy a 960 or would it be just as good getting another 950 and running them SLI?

6797_1691018251151550_8736125036517388144_n.jpg

950 in SLI is about as good as a 970 and a little better IIRC. However, keep in mind the extra heat, extra bulk and extra cables.

EDIT: However, one limiting factor on performance with this SLI setup is the lack of VRAM. When playing AAA games, although you may have the raw horsepower of the 970s and slightly beyond, simply the amount of VRAM may become a (could even be major) issue.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

if the 950 was a 3 or 4 gb card, I'd say yes.

The 2GB vram is a limiting factor, especially with games wanting more and more. I'd probably sell it and buy something like a 970/390, because running out of VRAM is not fun.

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

well considering I have 8 fans all together in my case not including the ones on my gpu heat isn't much of a issue right now.

If you can, sell the 950 and buy a 970 or 390. Not really worth just upgrading to a 960. If you SLI though your introducing a lot more wattage and heat into a small space. And SLI'ing 2GB cards isn't so great as you will run in VRAM issues with games needing more.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

do not SLI low end cards

sell it and buy a better card

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, DeathCyeth said:

well considering I have 8 fans all together in my case not including the ones on my gpu heat isn't much of a issue right now.

what about electricity usage? noise? Can your PSU handle 2 GPU's? If not, that needs to be upgraded too.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

8 minutes ago, DeathCyeth said:

what you linked was a fire starter, not a psu

jk, its not that bad but i recommend against running high TDP card on this psu

if possible, sell the card when pascal / polaris releases and buy one that makes sense then

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

There's no reason to upgrade to a 960, especially with Pascal being as close as it is. My two cents is to hold onto that 950 and sell it when Pascal is out to pick up a 970 used or refurbished.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

He I did some reserch before I bought this PSU lol and with buying it, 16 gigs of ram and the ssd, and the h110i gt aio I was running out of money and could only afford the gtx950 lol

See , This is the reason why 1 Will do it for me ! The cost of upgrade to keep up is a wallet grabber ! and in some , If you don`t get 1 with manufac. Warranty ? WHY ? I just need that 950 ! I will upgrade ram and better cooling and a Better CPU for the price ! Im saying I would do MINE that way ! Wait a minute , Isn`t the 980I the 1 that breaks the bank ? I think that you may find a 970 ,Fairly, cheap SOME WHERE ? Just watched a video on the !080 or a 1050 or sumtn ,  some where last night ? Look where you havent looked before , I went on a site and it was selling LOTS , of items . I mean, items  IN  lot`s  , Big box loads of Older and Fairly recent items !! 

10 minutes ago, RustyBaked said:

See , This is the reason why 1 Will do it for me ! The cost of upgrade to keep up is a wallet grabber ! and in some , If you don`t get 1 with manufac. Warranty ? WHY ? I just need that 950 ! I will upgrade ram and better cooling and a Better CPU for the price ! Im saying I would do MINE that way ! Wait a minute , Isn`t the 980I the 1 that breaks the bank ? I think that you may find a 970 ,Fairly, cheap SOME WHERE ? Just watched a video on the !080 or a 1050 or sumtn ,  some where last night ? Look where you havent looked before , I went on a site and it was selling LOTS , of items . I mean, items  IN  lot`s  , Big box loads of Older and Fairly recent items !! 

English? No?