PSA - Mega.nz going under? Backup your files!

MimigaKing

Yesterday, Kim Dotcom said on twitter that Mega.nz may be going under soon. So if you have any personal files that are not backup elsewhere, do that ASAP. 

Kim Dotcom is warning users of Mega, the cloud storage company he founded in 2013, to back up their files. According to the entrepreneur, Mega is now under the control of Bill Liu, a New Zealand-based Chinese national that is currently fifth on China's most-wanted criminal list.

In September 2014, Mega was branded a “piracy haven” in a Digital Citizens Alliance report into the activities of “shadowy cyberlockers.”

As a direct consequence and under pressure from the U.S. government, in early 2015 PayPal stopped processing payments for Mega. There can be little doubt that hurt the site.

https://torrentfreak.com/kim-dotcom-warns-mega-users-to-backup-their-files-160421

Ahhh that sucks tbh, i really liked their service, but i've never liked to rely on "cloud" storage, i rather just buy hard drives and keep them on my house... I know the point is to be able to acces them from whenever but i feel safer keeping them how i want :P 

Turns out they picked the right name, Mega Conz.

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

So mega is the new pirate bay?

Or mega is now controlled by a criminal?

If you consider the existence of the megalinks reddit page, which is a place people go to request those who can torrent freely to upload said torrent to mega.nz. Yes, MEGA could be considered the next best alternative to those who can't torrent due to legal reasons or others. 

6 minutes ago, MimigaKing said:

Yesterday, Kim Dotcom said on twitter that Mega.nz may be going under soon.

Well for such a large service that had no income from ads or anything, and was depending on the owner's personal wealth, I can't say I'm surprised.

3 minutes ago, Aytex said:

So mega is the new pirate bay?

Or mega is now controlled by a criminal?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megaupload_legal_case

Almost as cool as my temps  

Just now, Aytex said:

damn shits getting real

To clarify, that was his previous service Megaupload. When the FBI shut it down and acquired all the assets, he moved to New Zealand and started MEGA.nz

I think the US still wants to prosecute him but can't extradite him because he has a load of money for the legal battles

Almost as cool as my temps  

Just now, Benergy said:

To clarify, that was his previous service Megaupload. When the FBI shut it down and acquired all the assets, he moved to New Zealand and started MEGA.nz

I think the US still wants to prosecute him but can't extradite him because he has a load of money for the legal battles

Thanks for le clarification ;)

5 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Thanks for le clarification ;)

6 minutes ago, Benergy said:

Actually, Kim lost the battle and was set to be extradited to the US but he appealed the decision. He going back to court in August.

https://news.vice.com/article/kim-dotcoms-extradition-to-the-us-has-now-been-cleared-by-a-judge

https://torrentfreak.com/kim-dotcoms-extradition-appeal-set-for-august-160209/

damn it I literally JUST started needing mega to download roms for wii u games (ones that I already own calm down)

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W