Edward Snowden sues the Norwegian state

"History" behind this:

Edward Snowden has been awarded the prestigious Ossietzky Prize by Norwegian PEN. He has been invited to receive the award in Oslo in November. 

Snowden reportedly has a strong desire to come to Norway to receive the award in November, but fears that the Norwegian authorities will extradite him to the United States if he comes to the country.

It wasnt Snowden alone:

Norwegian PEN has commisioned the law firm Schjødt to ensure that Snowden can travel safely to Norway to receive the prize, without risking extradition to the United States. On behalf of Snowden and Norwegian PEN, Law firm Schjødt has filed a petition to Oslo City Court in order to allow Snowden to travel to Norway without fear of extradition to the US, where he faces decades of imprisonment under the “Espionage Act, writes Norwegian PEN.

NOTE: the article is not the best one

Norwegian PEN is suing the Norwegian state on behalf of Snowden.

If this goes trough it will be a big victory for Snowden and other people in the same kind of situation.

And they have the extradition agreement on their side, because in Norway, the extradition agreement paragraph 5 says that people that a country want extradited because of something that has political motive, can not be extradited.

After what I know, that part of the agreement has never been in use in court in Norway, at least not in recent times.

btw. Norwegian goverment have never said that they would send him to US, they just have not guaranteed to not do it.

Sources:

English:

http://www.tnp.no/norway/panorama/5277-edward-snowden-sues-norway-usa-russia-pen-norwegian (not the best article, but was the first English article that I found, may be better to just using google translate on the Norwegian articles)

Norwegian:

http://norskpen.no/2016/04/21/pressemelding-edward-snowden-saksoker-den-norske-stat/

http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/iriks/Edward-Snowden-gar-til-sak-mot-den-norske-staten-8439510.html

http://www.nrk.no/urix/edward-snowden-saksoker-norge-1.12911684

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

what is the Norwegian PEN?

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

6 minutes ago, themaniac said:

what is the Norwegian PEN?

Norwegian part of International PEN.

International PENs site: http://www.pen-international.org

Norwegian PENs site: http://norskpen.no

btw this is my first news topic

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

Could that really be considered a suit? The article calls it a petition as well...which doesn't seem like a suit to me.

16 minutes ago, Yog said:

Could that really be considered a suit? The article calls it a petition as well...which doesn't seem like a suit to me.

that article is not the best translation at all, its not a petition, summons is a better translation of that word in the article.

may be better of just using google translate on the Norwegian articles

Top post updated with that.

-Stephen Hawking

Kjempebra! Takk for at du delte

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fKvV3C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 5820K | MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-2666mhz | EVGA Titan X Hybrid | Fractal Design Define R5 | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | Samsung 850-EVO Series 250GB SSD | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair AX860 | Acer Predator XB270HU | Corsair H100i GTX | Corsair K70 RGB w/Cherry MX Browns | Corsair M65 RGB | Audio-Technica ATH-M50X | Windows 10 |

''Saksøk'' does indeed translate to lawsuit, at least in the context of law. Literally, ''sak'' can be translated to thing or case, søk translates to search. So ''CaseSearch'' is the literal translation, which better reflects what is being done. PEN Norway is bringing a legal case to the courts attention, with the wish and intent that a legal case is officially established and the outcome has a legal effect.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

From the Norwegian sources, is simply says that Schjødt, a law firm, is suing the Norwegian state on behalf of Snowden. The point is to establish a legal precedence to whether he (or other in his situation) can legally be extradited to the US (or other countries) based on his "crime".

Hopefully there will be a precedence set to disallow the Norwegian state to extradite him. Maybe Sweden can finally fuck off and stop being such shitty social marxist tards.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

15 minutes ago, Notional said:

From the Norwegian sources, is simply says that Schjødt, a law firm, is suing the Norwegian state on behalf of Snowden. The point is to establish a legal precedence to whether he (or other in his situation) can legally be extradited to the US (or other countries) based on his "crime".

Hopefully there will be a precedence set to disallow the Norwegian state to extradite him. Maybe Sweden can finally fuck off and stop being such shitty social marxist tards.

just saying, I am not that good at explaining stuff, and my English isnt that good :(

-Stephen Hawking

3 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

just saying, I am not that good at explaining stuff, and my English isnt that good :(

Øvelse gør mester ;)

But precedence is never mentioned outright, but that is what Schjødt is trying to accomplish.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

3 hours ago, Prysin said:

Snowden wouldnt get extradited. The Norwegian gov has one two different occasions refused to extradite people to the US because we deem the prison conditions outright inhumane.

They have said that, but they havent guaranteed it, an thats the point.

-Stephen Hawking

I'd say that the title is very clickbaity. It's an organization doing it on his behalf and the 'suit' is more of an appeal.

Also Snowden's a great guy and all, but the reasons he's wanted in the US are definitely more than political.

13 minutes ago, Svinsparbriivu said:

I'd say that the title is very clickbaity. It's an organization doing it on his behalf and the 'suit' is more of an appeal.

Also Snowden's a great guy and all, but the reasons he's wanted in the US are definitely more than political.

I am using the title Norwegian PEN used themselves and all the news site uses.

Snowden wanted the organization to do it.

-Stephen Hawking

Hope he'll get his prize without issues. We wouldn't want this to set bad precedent for future Nobel prizes either. Norway needs to remember its role as a central diplomatic power, or has it been too long since the Oslo treaty and the current politicians would rather be USA's lapdogs?

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Petition is the correct word, a summons is incorrect. A summons calls someone to court whereas a petition asks the court to do something for you. 

7 hours ago, Svinsparbriivu said:

It's fairly accurate. It is a lawsuit, and in basically every legal case you'll ever hear about the plaintiff will have someone representing them.

A lawsuit is a pretty general term which encompasses most non-criminal court proceedings. You sue someone if they slander you, you sue someone if they damage your property, you sue someone to get them not to do something (an injunction). In this case, the company is petitioning (a specific type of lawsuit) the court to get them to rule on whether or not Snowden can be extradited. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

1 hour ago, Blade of Grass said:

Petition is the correct word, a summons is incorrect. A summons calls someone to court whereas a petition asks the court to do something for you. 

It's fairly accurate. It is a lawsuit, and in basically every legal case you'll ever hear about the plaintiff will have someone representing them.

A lawsuit is a pretty general term which encompasses most non-criminal court proceedings. You sue someone if they slander you, you sue someone if they damage your property, you sue someone to get them not to do something (an injunction). In this case, the company is petitioning (a specific type of lawsuit) the court to get them to rule on whether or not Snowden can be extradited. 

My English isn't very good :( but google translate translates the Norwegian word for it to summons or writ, and if you switch the Wikipedia site on the Norwegian word to English, its the site of summons.

But I dont know if the Norwegian word "stevning" even have a English word that means exactly the same and nothingelse

Steving basically is a document that get sent in to court to start a lawsuit. It is that and nothing else.

But I would call this tread a little bit of a mess when it comes to this.

-Stephen Hawking

12 hours ago, Prysin said:

Snowden wouldnt get extradited. The Norwegian gov has one two different occasions refused to extradite people to the US because we deem the prison conditions outright inhumane.

A lot of people in the US would happen to agree.

On 21/04/2016 at 3:02 PM, Mihle Gaming said:

"History" behind this:

It wasnt Snowden alone:

NOTE: I think the article may men summons, not petition (not the best transportation from Norwegian in the article) but my English isnt good enough to know.

Norwegian PEN is suing the Norwegian state on behalf of Snowden.

If this goes trough it will be a big victory for Snowden and other people in the same kind of situation.

And they have the extradition agreement on their side, because in Norway, the extradition agreement paragraph 5 says that people that a country want extradited because of something that has political motive, can not be extradited.

After what I know, that part of the agreement has never been in use in court in Norway, at least not in recent times.

btw. Norwegian goverment have never said that they would send him to US, they just have not guaranteed to not do it.

Sources:

English:

http://www.tnp.no/norway/panorama/5277-edward-snowden-sues-norway-usa-russia-pen-norwegian (not the best translation, but was the first English article that I found, may be better to just using google translate on the Norwegian articles)

Norwegian:

http://norskpen.no/2016/04/21/pressemelding-edward-snowden-saksoker-den-norske-stat/

http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/iriks/Edward-Snowden-gar-til-sak-mot-den-norske-staten-8439510.html

http://www.nrk.no/urix/edward-snowden-saksoker-norge-1.12911684

In law Petition means

"Law. an application for a court order or for some judicial actiion."

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

In law Petition means

"Law. an application for a court order or for some judicial actiion."

dam, so petition is the right word, then google translate and wikipedia have wrong. also that definition isn't exactly the same as the Norwegian word.

This is a mess

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

you mean the 10+ million that IS in jail???

Especially the ones for non-violent crimes.