Wait for Pascal?

Chandres

Hello, I'm gonna be building a new PC this June with a budget of 400$ for a GPU, should I wait for pascal?

1 minute ago, Chandres said:

Hello, I'm gonna be building a new PC this June with a budget of 400$ for a GPU, should I wait for pascal?

If i am correct, computex or something is in june or juli. i bet my money on it that by then the new gpu will be announced. either you buy a new one or the 980's go on sale.

Wait for Pascal yes, with every new generation of GPU's or CPU the previous generation always has quite the substational price drop meaning you will get more for your $400 budget.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

Just now, Chandres said:

i wait. its a huge step from 28nm to 16nm

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Yes you should since you may find the older cards for a cheaper price then.Do not hurry to buy a new card there could be a fiasco like there was with the 970.

Just now, UmaruChan said:

Yes you should since you may find the older cards for a cheaper price then.Do not hurry to buy a new card there could be a fiasco like there was with the 970.

to be honest as much as i like amd, it didnt change anything about the performance of the 970

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Wait for AMD's Polaris, which indicators suggest could be better than Pascal.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

6 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

to be honest as much as i like amd, it didnt change anything about the performance of the 970

Well yeah,but it was like Nvidia backstabbed everyone 

Just now, UmaruChan said:

Well yeah,but it was like Nvidia backstabbed everyone 

really not the worst they have done when you look at the whole gameworks thing.

Wait for Pascal just for the price drops on Maxwell GPUs.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

You can wait, but I have my doubts it will be for Pascal ;)

Unless Pascal is first to market and you're very impatient

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

You do it in June, thats when Pascal gets announced. 

Yes, wait for announcment of cards and prices and for your budget buy 1070 or look for discounted 980. In worst case scenario you will have to buy 970/r9 390

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

42 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Wait for AMD's Polaris, which indicators suggest could be better than Pascal.

Is this just wishful thinking or did I miss something? I'm unaware of any confirmed specs or performance results for either Pascal or Polaris.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 hour ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Is this just wishful thinking or did I miss something? I'm unaware of any confirmed specs or performance results for either Pascal or Polaris.

It's speculation, based on:

- Understanding that Pascal is an improvement of the Maxwell process, while Polaris is entirely new

- Pascal being 16 nm, Polaris 14 nm

- Rumour that Nvidia hasn't improved its async compute

- Polaris will likely have better performance per watt and performance per die size

- AMD has been making talk of increasing its competitiveness in high-performance gaming

- HBM1 might be used on this summer's Polaris, compared to Nvidia's GDD45

These videos are a very thorough, interesting analysis of the subject:

It's speculation, with enough information to warrant waiting to see the result, IMO.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Polaris beating GP104 sounds crazy to me when AMD was marketing it as VR for the masses. Now when Vega comes out that might be the one to murder all competition, but Polaris at 232mm^2 isn't going to be that. I bet Polaris 10 ends up being their 480/480x and Polaris 11 their 470/470x. Polaris 10 will probably end up as really nice midrange cards but with a $400 budget you'll probably be right in GTX 1070 territory in the worst case. So yeah, wait for Pascal and Polaris, I can't imagine we won't get at least a paper launch at Computex in late May. The big price cuts we have been seeing on the 980 Ti make sense with the story that Nvidia has already stopped shipped the GTX 970/ 980 / 980 Ti.

2 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I cant say anything for Pascal, but we at least know that one of the Polaris 10 chips performs like an r9 fury. AMD demoed a Polaris 10 card running the new Hitman at 1440p 60 fps. The R9 Fury does that.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

i would wait for pascal soley becuase even if it is dissapointing in terms of power, it will lower the cost of last gen GPUs. When pascal drops, the 980ti could possibly get closer to your bugdet range even if the pascal isn't what you are looking for.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

3 hours ago, ChrisCross said:

really not the worst they have done when you look at the whole gameworks thing.

That + The dx12 implementation fiasco for maxwell.

3 hours ago, Chandres said:

I read this wrong and thought OP was build a 400 dollar PC, and was considering pascal in their build.

How long after the new chipset announcements do price drops usually occur?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

3 hours ago, ivan134 said:

I cant say anything for Pascal, but we at least know that one of the Polaris 10 chips performs like an r9 fury. AMD demoed a Polaris 10 card running the new Hitman at 1440p 60 fps. The R9 Fury does that.

The closer we get the the actual release of the new gen cards, the more I feel like they are all gonna be extremely slight improvements over the current gen.  I mean come on, we're only like a month away from the supposed initial release and all we have is speculation, some mediocre numbers, and one bare shroud?  I feel like if either company had something that great this close to release, they'd at least have some teaser material to tout.

If Pascal/Polaris's best initial offering doesn't run Crysis 3 at 4K with the highest graphics settings 60+FPS, then Nvidia and AMD can both GTFO.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

4 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

The closer we get the the actual release of the new gen cards, the more I feel like they are all gonna be extremely slight improvements over the current gen.  I mean come on, we're only like a month away from the supposed initial release and all we have is speculation, some mediocre numbers, and one bare shroud?  I feel like if either company had something that great this close to release, they'd at least have some teaser material to tout.

If Pascal/Polaris's best initial offering doesn't run Crysis 3 at 4K with the highest graphics settings 60+FPS, then Nvidia and AMD can both GTFO.

I dont see how r9 fury performance for the price of a current 390 is bad.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

14 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

I dont see how r9 fury performance for the price of a current 390 is bad.

I didn't say it was, I just have a sinking feeling that the new gen cards(let's say top of the line initial releases 1080/490) aren't going to be drastically better than what's available now.  Sure better performance/price is always welcome, but I really want to see the raw performance jump that should come with the architecture change.