How secure do case fans need to be?

Bolt95

I'm building a new rig and have run into an issue with fans. I have the Fractal Design Refine R5 with x4 Noctua NF-A14 FLX 140mm fans. 3 intake and 1 exhaust is the setup I am going for. 

Though my case doesn't have dedicated holes for Noctuas rubber pins I'd still prefer to use them. I guess my first question would be be: Is it  okay for there to be  a little freeplay with the fan? As in, I can move it up and down fairly easily with my hand. 

My main concern is with one of my front and the bottom intakes.  I can only fit 2 rubber pins on one side of each fan. No holes the other end of the rubber pin can go through.  Is this enough to keep it secure so the fan will not move/vibrate the other end of the fan under heavy load? 

4 minutes ago, Bolt95 said:

I'm building a new rig and have run into an issue with fans. I have the Fractal Design Refine R5 with x4 Noctua NF-A14 FLX 140mm fans. 3 intake and 1 exhaust is the setup I am going for. 

Though my case doesn't have dedicated holes for Noctuas rubber pins I'd still prefer to use them. I guess my first question would be be: Is it  okay for there to be  a little freeplay with the fan? As in, I can move it up and down fairly easily with my hand. 

My main concern is with one of my front and the bottom intakes.  I can only fit 2 rubber pins on one side of each fan. No holes the other end of the rubber pin can go through.  Is this enough to keep it secure so the fan will not move/vibrate the other end of the fan under heavy load? 

Welcome to the Forums!

As long as the fan doesn't rattle or fall off you will be good, ideally if you can pull through all 4 of them it will hold it better and prevent it form possibly teetering between the two points. 

-Moved to Aircooling-

Edited by W-L

11 minutes ago, Bolt95 said:

It depends on the static pressure and...  Man, I can't even finish that with a straight face.

You could use double sided tape at the locations that you can't use the rubber fasteners.  Make sure you trim it up so that it's not visible.  The padding from the tape itself will contribute to further vibration reduction.  I'd just hate to see a nice PC with somewhat loose parts.

18 minutes ago, W-L said:

Welcome to the Forums!

As long as the fan doesn't rattle or fall off you will be good, ideally if you can pull through all 4 of them it will hold it better and prevent it form possibly teetering between the two points. 

-Moved to Aircooling-

Thanks for the reply. I tried putting  a 3rd pin but the end ripped off. 

I'll see how it goes with just the two. 

Thanks again! 

8 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

It depends on the static pressure and...  Man, I can't even finish that with a straight face.

You could use double sided tape at the locations that you can't use the rubber fasteners.  Make sure you trim it up so that it's not visible.  The padding from the tape itself will contribute to further vibration reduction.  I'd just hate to see a nice PC with somewhat loose parts.

Lol! 

That's a good idea,  I'll try some tape or maybe velcro as long as it's not static. 

The inner me is pissed that it's not symmetrical but it just won't fit any way I try. Thanks!