Best Antivirus Software?

I won't define what the "best" is because to me, it doesn't exist. I will give you viable options though.

Avast, AVG, Bitdefender(they offer a free version as well), Avira, 360 Total Security(not bad. Allows you to use multiple AV engines, including Avira's and Bitdefender's. They offer a slew of extra features too that come in handy), etc. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 minutes ago, SlackAssassin said:

I just don't want Norton anymore.

Windows Defender works fine for me. Though it does hog the disk a little bit just after booting, its otherwise pretty lightweight. And im sure the others will take up too much disk time at some point as well. 

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

I use Windows Defender. Not had to use any other Anti Virus for years.

Gaming Rig:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X @ 4.1GHz All Cores - Ram: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE - GPU: 5600XT MSI Gaming X - Storage: Samsung EVO 840 250GB - 2TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

HTPC Rig:
CPU: i5 6400 - Ram: 16GB - GPU: 970 GTX - Storage: 120 Kingston SSD & 2x 1TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

This question is coming up more often, I'm a long time AVG user but they're taking the p1ss with their ads right now, might try Avast for a bit

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

1 hour ago, Majestic said:

A brain. Haven't used anti-virus software for years now. I think they're dinosaurs of a bygone era.

This has been discussed hundered of times on this forum by now, there are resons to use an AV, so there is no need to tell the OP that he doesnt need one, or that they are obsolete because he has already made his choice and have his own reasons

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

1 hour ago, Majestic said:

A brain. Haven't used anti-virus software for years now. I think they're dinosaurs of a bygone era.

Lemme know how far that gets you if LTT ever becomes compromised. Remember that whole password leak we had? Yeah, that was due to malware being installed on the server and remaining dormant for a while.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Lemme know how far that gets you if LTT ever becomes compromised. Remember that whole password leak we had? Yeah, that was due to malware being installed on the server and remaining dormant for a while.

And running an anti-virus software on the client-side wouldn't have changed a damn thing.

I just don't see how running free 3rd party software reduces my risks of getting infected. To me they're just another source of distribution of my personal data. Neither does paying for software with invested-interest in staying relevant inspire me with great confidence.

3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

And running an anti-virus software on the client-side wouldn't have changed a damn thing.

And here's the thing: If malware can get on the server, it can get on the client. That's all you need - the possibility of having malware running on some sort of server, and then that malware copying itself to any connected clients. It's not about whether or not the password leak would've been prevented due to antivirus software on the client-end. It wouldn't have been. Clients aren't in charge of the server. But you have that whole concept of "malware can get on this thing. If the right malware becomes installed, many of our users could become compromised." Stop using common sense as an argument, or your "brain." Your brain won't stop malware-infection inherently. 

8 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

And here's the thing: If malware can get on the server, it can get on the client. 

I assume you're running higher-end stuff than free anti-virus. So, if it can bypass your services, running a free 3rd party anti-virus would've posed even less of a chance. That's like expecting the security guard to triumph when the army failed.

I've humored the possibility of running an infested system after years of running without anti-adware and anti-virus utilities. I took my drive before it was fit for reformat, with a windows client that was active >24months. Scanned it with all the popular programms. No adware, no virusses. Nothing.

I don't see how bogging my system resources and providing yet another few outlets for my search behaviour to be distributed serves me personally. I think the scaremongering of "what might possibly happen" is a nice way for those programs to stay relevant. In a time when there's a plethora of other ways to get people's information.

Like... getting them to run useless 3rd party software.

Just now, Majestic said:

I assume you're running higher-end stuff than free anti-virus. So, if it can bypass your services, running a free 3rd party anti-virus would've posed even less of a chance.

Your assumption is incorrect. I almost never pay for software. All of my security software is free - and I wouldn't equate "free" with "shitty" necessarily. 

30 minutes ago, Majestic said:

I assume you're running higher-end stuff than free anti-virus. So, if it can bypass your services, running a free 3rd party anti-virus would've posed even less of a chance. That's like expecting the security guard to triumph when the army failed.

I've humored the possibility of running an infested system after years of running without anti-adware and anti-virus utilities. I took my drive before it was fit for reformat, with a windows client that was active >24months. Scanned it with all the popular programms. No adware, no virusses. Nothing.

I don't see how bogging my system resources and providing yet another few outlets for my search behaviour to be distributed serves me personally. I think the scaremongering of "what might possibly happen" is a nice way for those programs to stay relevant. In a time when there's a plethora of other ways to get people's information.

Like... getting them to run useless 3rd party software.

This is getting ridiculous, there are numerous reasons as to why you should run a AV even though you have had the luck of not getting a virus, although much like global warming its not as bad as its hyped up to be, but there are still plenty of ways people with brains can get viruses, for example old websites you used to play flash games and such on can be hacked and distribute viruses via flash player vulnerabilities instead, trusted friends you know in real life can be hacked (and yes this has happened to me, although i was lucky enough to have a good firewall) and send you viruses, torrents can be infected, people in your family borrowing your computer can accidentally click on ads, your USB stick can get infected while using it on a work/internet cafe/someone elses computer and then transfered to your computer when you want to use it at home.

Now im not saying that every single one of these attacks would be deflected by a good AV, but a lot of them will, and so far after using bitdefender for 2 years, i can also say that it has just been a waste of system resources, but i believe its still worth the 2-4 FPS i lose by running bitdefender in the background

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

Guy's please

you can still run without av. need god brain to work, but actually you can. 

For average users av is a must. If you have a good av and you're the most idiot man on earth, chances of being infected are still low. 

The advantage of having av is that, in case of system compromise either visiting a known site, or opening infected file, or just opening a .jpg file (yes, you actually can infect people via jpg photos) the av would still stop the payload from doing damage. 

it's like sleeping with the main house half open... got that?

17 hours ago, Finders said:

, or just opening a .jpg file (yes, you actually can infect people via jpg photos) 

You can infect people with a jpg file?

Spoiler

17 hours ago, Finders said:

The advantage of having av is that, in case of system compromise either visiting a known site, or opening infected file, or just opening a .jpg file (yes, you actually can infect people via jpg photos) the av would still stop the payload from doing damage. 

Only if the software is able to stop that particular string of malware.

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/4/2016 at 11:04 AM, I am an SSD said:

You can infect people with a jpg file?

Yep... the image must be processed before being shown to you, exactly as any other type of file.. so... yep... 

But the chances of being infected that way is pretty low.

3 hours ago, Finders said:

Yep... the image must be processed before being shown to you, exactly as any other type of file.. so... yep... 

But the chances of being infected that way is pretty low.

wow....never thought of it that way....

Always thought exe s were the main ones......

i suppose jpgs are going to be really hard to detect via an antivirus yes? Not that im complaining but why dont we see many jpg viruses then?

Spoiler

Well, common sense.

Antiviruses are things of dark past, decent internet users should know how to protect themselves by now...

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

On 04/19/2016 at 3:26 AM, Majestic said:

I bet you have Windows update disabled too don't you....