960 vs 970 in 1080p?

Acrobit
Go to solution Solved by givegomezthegun,

Idiotic amd vs nvidia debating aside.. 

I have used both the 970 and 960, in a lot of situations a 960 is sufficient, but I also ran into quite a few scenarios where the 970 could not max out(by max out I mean set every single available option to the highest possible setting, not some watered down version that other folks must be talking about when they say maxes out every game out there) and achieve solid playable frame rates.

Of the 2, if you're looking for something to last a while, the 970 is obviously the better choice

1 hour ago, Acrobit said:

I'm just looking for an graphics card that will last a minimum of 5 years and still play at 40 - 50 fps. just like the gtx 680.

I think if you want that you're going to have to wait for the GTX 1080.

I currently have a 960 and bought a 390 and a 970.  I evaluated them for a few weeks and wound up returning them both and decided to wait for the next gen.

AMD still has terrible driver support.  Although they're getting better.  GTA5 had frame rate issues.  Everytime the game is launched, it's capped at 30 fps.  I had to set it to either 1/2 or off on vsync, save it, change it to locked, save it and then it would run properly again.  Then the radar/map of the game wasn't working right.  The fix was I had to turn on AA.  AA taxes gameplay and it was taking a small hit on fps.  AMD eventually fixed the issue, after about a year since the game's release!

What I dislike about the 970 is it's ridiculous price.  There's no way in hell a relatively old card with half a gig of ram that's missing should cost $320.  It's a great card but highway robbery in my book.  The 970 ran GTAV perfectly except when grass settings were at ultra.  Not really a big hit since even Titans also experienced the same things.

If you have the money, get the 970.  If not, wait.  The 960 is a perfect 1080p card with games running at 60fps on high settings.  If you want ultra then get the 970 or wait.