Random or Sequential

Dann0359
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,
4 minutes ago, Dann0359 said:

Ok, so you're saying when files are written to the Harddrive, they are Sequential.

How do they become Random? And why is Random read/write used in benchmarks?

if there are 10 bytes of free space and there is stuff on either side, then when you save something to the HDD it will fill up that 10 bytes first and then look for the next free space, and save the rest there

so thats how stuff gets split up all over the place

defragmenting puts all the similar stuff together, such as two parts of a file, or stuff like that

BUT you will always have different files in different places, because its impossible to put everything right beside eachother

so if you have a program which needs a bunch of random files in random places on the HDD, then thats when random read speeds come into effect, because the HDD needs to search random places for those files

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to tell if my files are Randomly or Sequentially written on my HDD?

I ask this because I know of the performance difference between each way of reading/writing data. Have a WD Green 2TB drive. Working on changing a device or two in my network for 1 Gigabit speeds. Working out if upgrading HDD's due to the variable 5400rpm-7200rpm (second PC also a WD Green 2TB) and change to WD Black's or equivalent is worth it. 

Have tried looking through the forum, but I'm confident my search skills are below par...

(FYI - Currently at 100Mb/s network speeds... sending files at around 10-11MB/s)

Cheers!

Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | AMD FX-8150 @ 4.6GHz | Corsair H100 w/ Noctua NF-F12s | Corsair Vengance CL9 1600Mhz 8GB | Nvidia GTX 660Ti Gigabte OC Edition in SLI (Base/Boost: 1032/1111, Memory Clock: 6008MHz, Memory: 3GB) | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green | Samsung SA950 @ 120Hz | Silverstone 750W 80+ Gold PSU (Fully Modular) | NZXT H440 (White) | Razer Naga 2012 + Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 | Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones | Blue Yeti USB Microphone Logitech Z523 Speakers 2.1 Stereo

If you see the hard drive light flickering a lot, that usually means random.

If the hard drive light stays lit pretty much solidly, that usually means sequential.

Its usually that simple. 

I see. So is there a way I can look at a file and see for myself? Maybe through Properties?

Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | AMD FX-8150 @ 4.6GHz | Corsair H100 w/ Noctua NF-F12s | Corsair Vengance CL9 1600Mhz 8GB | Nvidia GTX 660Ti Gigabte OC Edition in SLI (Base/Boost: 1032/1111, Memory Clock: 6008MHz, Memory: 3GB) | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green | Samsung SA950 @ 120Hz | Silverstone 750W 80+ Gold PSU (Fully Modular) | NZXT H440 (White) | Razer Naga 2012 + Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 | Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones | Blue Yeti USB Microphone Logitech Z523 Speakers 2.1 Stereo

defragment your HDD and then all files will be sequential

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

defragment your HDD and then all files will be sequential

Ok, so you're saying when files are written to the Harddrive, they are Sequential.

if there are 10 bytes of free space and there is stuff on either side, then when you save something to the HDD it will fill up that 10 bytes first and then look for the next free space, and save the rest there

defragmenting puts all the similar stuff together, such as two parts of a file, or stuff like that

BUT you will always have different files in different places, because its impossible to put everything right beside eachother

so if you have a program which needs a bunch of random files in random places on the HDD, then thats when random read speeds come into effect, because the HDD needs to search random places for those files

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

11 minutes ago, Dann0359 said:

I see. So is there a way I can look at a file and see for myself? Maybe through Properties?

Don't know what OS you run, but on Linux, you can run a report on ext4s filesystems using the e4defrag tool.  It will tell you how many fragments each file is in, and you can decide accordingly whether its worthwhile to run a whole defragment cycle. 

With SSDs and their extreme capability at random reads, we usually don't care too much about fragmentation.  De-fragmentation may even be harmful to a SSDs overall lifespan.

With hard drives, the more full a drive becomes, the higher the chance of fragmentation.  This is why you should leave some free space on a drive, and not fill a 1Tb drive up with 990GiB of data. 

5 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

Don't know what OS you run, but on Linux, you can run a report on ext4s filesystems using the e4defrag tool.  It will tell you how many fragments each file is in, and you can decide accordingly whether its worthwhile to run a whole defragment cycle. 

With SSDs and their extreme capability at random reads, we usually don't care too much about fragmentation.  De-fragmentation may even be harmful to a SSDs overall lifespan.

With hard drives, the more full a drive becomes, the higher the chance of fragmentation.  This is why you should leave some free space on a drive, and not fill a 1Tb drive up with 990GiB of data. 

Is there anything for Windows 7? (what I'm running).

1 minute ago, Dann0359 said:

Is there anything for Windows 7? (what I'm running).

Windows has a defrag tool (Just search defrag in the start menu)

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Makes a lot more sense now on how it works.

Which in saying all that, I should see fluctuations (file transfer window, not HDD light) when sending large files over the network? Thanks for your input :) 

2 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Windows has a defrag tool (Just search defrag in the start menu)

Yeah, this is what I've always use...

Though don't know if its as advanced as the Linux e4defrag tool where it shows how many fragments each file is in? (aware I would have to Install a Linux OS).

12 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

Don't know what OS you run, but on Linux, you can run a report on ext4s filesystems using the e4defrag tool.  It will tell you how many fragments each file is in, and you can decide accordingly whether its worthwhile to run a whole defragment cycle. . 

Makes a lot more sense now on how it works.

Which in saying all that, I should see fluctuations (file transfer window, not HDD light) when sending large files over the network? Thanks for your input :) 

if you defragmented your HDD or youre using a SSD then no

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

if you defragmented your HDD or youre using a SSD then no

Yeah, though if not performed then Yes I will see fluctuations. Thanks for your help!

1 minute ago, Dann0359 said:

Yeah, this is what I've always use...

Though don't know if its as advanced as the Linux e4defrag tool where it shows how many fragments each file is in? (aware I would have to Install a Linux OS).

They do the same thing behind the scenes (well not EXACTLY the same, but you get the same result)

The Windows tool certainly doesn't have very advanced tools, the reason being that the average user doesn't need them.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

1 hour ago, HPWebcamAble said:

They do the same thing behind the scenes (well not EXACTLY the same, but you get the same result)

The Windows tool certainly doesn't have very advanced tools, the reason being that the average user doesn't need them.

I assumed they were somewhat the same behind the scenes... Bummer it doesn't have such an Advanced tool, would have been interesting/useful to see your files that way.

Thanks for your input!