Why haven't I ever heard of *Insert Program Name Here*

Hey guys, I remember this topic from awhile back on another forum and I noticed the LinusTechTips Forum doesn't have anything like this as far as I know :P So I figured I'd make one here since I found it Extremely useful in the past ! Basically as the name hints, post software and programs that are absolutely amazing ! Things you can't live without now, and others may not have heard of or know about ! :)

I'll start off with a few I can't live without,

Foobar2000 - The ultimate freakin' media (music) player. It rocks, nothing compares. with this you have no excuse to use iTunes !

LunaScape6 - (Combines Webkit, Trident and Gecko (Internet explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome processing engines) Into one package which you can switch on the fly ! More useful if you're into web development especially !

CCleaner - If you haven't heard of it you've been living under Patrick Star's rock.

Coretemp - Monitors temps and CPU use with taskbar features etc... my personal favorite is Coretemp but there is also RealTemp which is cleaner looking.

RazerComms - Use it all the time to chat with friends when gaming, its ease of use is what makes it amazing, teamspeak and mumble etc... are more advanced and take alot more time and knowledge to set up and use properly.

That's about it for me, what great programs do you guys have to share ?

- Personal Rig -

AMD 7950X3D / 64GB G.SKILL DDR5-6000 EXPO / ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC
ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018
Seasonic Platinum 1000W 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018

PNY GTX 470 1280MB 🪦🫡 June 2010 - August 2017

Intel Q9550 / Q9450 Systems 🪦🫡 Q1-2008 - Q3-2016
- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads

Right now, Firefox with a million plugins, teamviewer, virtualbox, metasploit, HWMonitor, CPU-z, VLC, F@H client and Microsoft word.... There's probably a lot more, but oh well

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Netbalancer, use it to see your in and out going connections. 

Audacity, awesome free recording tool that doesn't use a lot of your computer's resources.

can't live without these haha 

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

Right now, Firefox with a million plugins, teamviewer, virtualbox, metasploit, HWMonitor, CPU-z, VLC, F@H client and Microsoft word.... There's probably a lot more, but oh well

what plugins do you recommend for firefox? I'm force to use it on linux. And its not the same as Opera.

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

Pfff, Foobar2000 are for those that never heard about the Zune desktop software, with it's fully GPU accelerated interface, gorgeous and sleek looks, and has all you need for a music player.

zune1.png

zune2.png

Also, has access to XBox Music (Unlimited music download and streaming of 30million+ songs).

Other software, the best note taking software: Microsoft OneNote.

Specially designed for laptop and tablets, your notes are sync between your devices, comes complete with hand writhing recognition, image text recognition, search system, and a lot, but a lot more. It's easy to use, and very powerful. Integrates well with Office software, and PDFs can be imported, as well as transferring text and image objects form a PDF to OneNote simply by copy/paste action.

If you are a student, and register to MSDNAA/DreamSpark, it's there waiting for you to be downloaded for free.

Pfff, Foobar2000 are for those that never heard about the Zune desktop software, with it's fully GPU accelerated interface, gorgeous and sleek looks, and has all you need for a music player.

Does it have any trouble with loading a million songs?

I stopped using WMP back in the day because I had to wait several minutes just to load my media.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

what plugins do you recommend for firefox? I'm force to use it on linux. And its not the same as Opera.

Well, there's always AdBlock but I don't even use it for 70% of the sites I go to anymore. As far as actual plugins, I have java dev kits as well as all the standard shockwave and adobe things. I have a dark theme(FT Deep Dark), a whole bunch of user scripts... A whole bunch. My favourite is the facebook auto-poker which automatically pokes people back so I win poke wars. I like Magic Actions For YouTube as an extension, it's really good but it has a few small bugs with YouTube centre which is needed for disabling DASH playback. I also have firebug and greasemokey etc. Also, a virtual wallet that automatically enters in payment details for sites to save time. mine is the bitdefender wallet that came with my antivirus, so I know it's freaking secure

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Does it have any trouble with loading a million songs?

I stopped using WMP back in the day because I had to wait several minutes just to load my media.

Like Foobar and better music players, it loads as you scrolls. So it should not be a problem.

It's worth a look, is what I am saying. My complaints about it, is no external codec support like WMP, and limited music files format it can play. Which is a shame, because personally, I find everything else with the software superb.

Don't expect any updates thought, the Zune team that worked on it was broken apart ('cause Zune's aren't made anymore), many left.

Like Foobar and better music players, it loads as you scrolls. So it should not be a problem.

It's worth a look, is what I am saying. My complaints about it, is no external codec support like WMP, and limited music files format it can play. Which is a shame, because personally, I find everything else with the software superb.

Don't expect any updates thought, the Zune team that worked on it was broken apart, many left.

Aww, I was getting all excited too. I'll check it out. Mind giving me a link? I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Also, has access to XBox Music (Unlimited music download and streaming of 30million+ songs).

I will definitely check this out, I have neglected it in the past. From what I've been told it's not as customizable as Foobar but that's just what I've heard, probably fanboys saying that, but don't quote me. xD

Also glad this thread is gaining some popularity ! Helped me a ton to make my whole computing experience SO much better ! :D

- Personal Rig -

AMD 7950X3D / 64GB G.SKILL DDR5-6000 EXPO / ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC
ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018
Seasonic Platinum 1000W 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018

PNY GTX 470 1280MB 🪦🫡 June 2010 - August 2017

Intel Q9550 / Q9450 Systems 🪦🫡 Q1-2008 - Q3-2016
- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads

I like my Foobar2000...who honestly stares at their media player constantly anyway? I let it run in the background as I play some vidya. :D

ATTENTION EVERYONE!!!

WE HAVE FOUND AN OPERA USER!!!

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

• 1 month later...

But I've heard of all of those.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Crashplan  - for backup

AnyDVD - for (real time) removing copy protection from DVDs

AVS DVD copy - for making copies of DVDs

ATTENTION EVERYONE!!!

WE HAVE FOUND AN OPERA USER!!!

I use Opera, then again I use Firefox, Chrome, IE (when I have to or forced), Konqueror, wget, curl. So whats with your caps lock problem?

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Why haven't I heard of "zsh", "Perl", "TomBoy Notes", "Gwenview", "Linspk", "iptraf", ....

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Kingsoft Office. If you ever feel the need to replace Microsoft Office with a free program that has a really nice feature set, this should be a dead ringer.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

RazerComms - Use it all the time to chat with friends when gaming, its ease of use is what makes it amazing, teamspeak and mumble etc... are more advanced and take alot more time and knowledge to set up and use properly.

In 25% f*cks up your system with their .dll file...

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

doPDF (prints to pdf)
teracopy
7zip
Virtual CloneDrive (Loads Iso file into a Virtual DVD ROM)
AMD HydraGrid (Requires Amd GPU)
notepad++ (Supports just about every format)
LibreOffice
Songbird
vlc
klite codec pack
XBMC
Freemake Video Converter
cpuz   gpuz   coretemp 
virtualbox (Test new OS)
linux live usb creater (Make bootable usb for install)
utorrent 
Blender (3D Creation)
Kristal Audio Engine (Music Production)
hydrogen advanced drum machine  (Music Production)