Valve is teasing the "Steam box" with a countdown. Maybe 3 new things coming from them?

The cat has 3 whiskers

the controller has 3 buttons

both (cat and controller) are made of 3 layers

a cat has 9 lives of which the sqrt is 3

The cat has 5 whiskers actually. BOOM here goes your theory!... Just kidding :P People's creation to confirm Half Life 3 never fails to amaze me. Good job :D

I eagerly await the steam box

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

It would be awesome if they release the Steam Box before PS4 and Xbox One with better specs and price..

In an interview with Verge earlier in the year, Gabe talks about the Good, Better, and Best. Potentially three different, but similarly functioning devices for your gaming experience. The three images on the Valve web-site may be referring to this, as the Verge pointed out today.

From the words of Gabe himself, three non-configurable (not open-source), potentially proprietary game systems. The first device that works in similar fashion as the Nvidia Shield, but broadcasting to the television via Wi-Fi or is simply a thin client that works with Nvidia Grid. The second is a machine with a dedicated CPU and GPU (fixed and controlled by Valve). The third looks to be a chassis plus processor type system that 'those guys' can manufacture. He did not specify who 'those guys' are. Potentially consumers or Nvidia. From the sound of it, it looks like the latter.

Gabe also mentions that they are seeking to have a physical controller with biometric capabilities. Keyboard and mouse would probably be supported, but it doesn't seem that is the main controller option, which makes sense as K+M aren't portable devices that can be moved around and used seamlessly, without putting it on a physical surface. After all, the main objective of the Steam Box is to take control of the living room / people's main entertainment space.

P.S. It is highly unlikely it will be available in less than two months. At this stage, we'd have seen rumours or leaks of manufactured devices. So, as there is little to none, they are likely in prototype phase. They'd want to get feedback from audiences anyway.

My prediction: their own Linux distro, and a Netflix competing streaming or media distribution service.

The first prototypes of Piston had i5s in them, from their original partner, I doubt it will be much different.

Not sure if I follow, but the Piston didn't and does not have any relation to Valve.

Not sure if I follow, but the Piston didn't and does not have any relation to Valve.

Xi3 claimed that the Piston was going to be the Steambox but Valve came and and said it was one of many prototypes they there were exploring, from what I remember. 

Piston was part of their R&D pool, and the only one to actually deliver a hard sample, which has ended up in the hands of the public. Their cubical/ modular motherboard design remains revolutionary for cooling and space efficiency, so even if the CPU ends up being different I'd collectively class Valve as huge whopping idiots if they don't go with a design close to what the piston looks like.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

All this means to me is that if its the SteamBox, Linux gaming is nigh upon us! Soon I shall dispatch of the worthless worm of an OS, Windows.

CPU - FX 8320 @ 4.8 GHz

| MoBo - Sabertooth 990FX | GPU - XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Ed. @ 1.075 GHz | CPU Cooler - H100 | RAM - 16 GB Dual Channel Vengeance @ 1600 MHz (didn't care to push these...) | OS - Windows 8 Pro | Storage - OCZ Vertex 3 (120 GB Boot), Samsung 830 Pro 64 GB, WD Black 1 TB, some random 320 GB from a laptop | PSU - CM Silent Hybrid Pro 850W (MDPC Sleeving) | Case - 800D | Monitors - ASUS V238H/ X Star DP2710LED | Mouse - M90 Keyboard - CM Quickfire Rapid w/ custom key caps

"When life gives you lemons, Don't make lemonade, make life take the lemons back!" - Cave Johnson, CEO

All this means to me is that if its the SteamBox, Linux gaming is nigh upon us! Soon I shall dispatch of the worthless worm of an OS, Windows.

This has to be the one thing that is guaranteed to be announced or mentioned next week. Gaming is the only thing that keeps me using Windows. 

Seems like something big on September 23. They might change the Steam UI, big picture ui, or create a steam box as everyone was waiting for it. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

From the words of Gabe himself, three non-configurable (not open-source), potentially proprietary game systems.

How is it proprietary? It comes with Linux. If you want to install another OS like Windows on it you can. And if won't have exclusive games because it's basically a PC. Not a new platform... it plays PC games. Gabe said "We’ll come out with our own [steamBox] and we’ll sell it to consumers by ourselves. That’ll be a Linux box,” he said. “If you want to install Windows you can. We’re not going to make it hard. This is not some locked box by any stretch of the imagination"

Valve wants to make PC gaming popular in the living room and so they encourage hardware vendors to come up with suitable pre-built PCs in appropriate form factors and market them as living room gaming devices (console alternatives). Piston was one such attempt.

Piston was part of their R&D pool, and the only one to actually deliver a hard sample, which has ended up in the hands of the public. Their cubical/ modular motherboard design remains revolutionary for cooling and space efficiency

But nobody asked for a device that small with so many compromises. People would much rather have a slightly larger more powerful device. I don't see what the target market is for Piston.

72 hours notice and what are the odds that I miss the actual announcement lol

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Half-Life 3 is the Duke Nukem Forever of AAA titles.  We all ask when is it coming out, seems like it never will, but we all know it's gonna be damn good!

Half-Life 3 timed-exclusive on a SteamBox?  Hmmm...

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

i dont know if this is a known thing but i found this

at the "featured partners" part of http://store.steampowered.com/ there is a alianware link. it has always linked to the main alianware website. but now it directs to

http://store.steampowered.com/hardware/alienware/

and the left "thing" is not on the alianware website! steambox? or am i just crasy

But nobody asked for a device that small with so many compromises. People would much rather have a slightly larger more powerful device. I don't see what the target market is for Piston.

What compromises? No optical drive? I find a system that tiny with a 3570K in it and that still manages to be efficiently cooled pretty damn desireable. And it has tons of I/O. Not to mention it's upgradeable.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I find a system that tiny with a 3570K in it and that still manages to be efficiently cooled pretty damn desireable.

But it's a gaming machine and for that the 3570k is not going to help the piston, they needed some graphics horsepower even at the cost of a weaker CPU.

i dont know if this is a known thing but i found this

at the "featured partners" part of http://store.steampowered.com/ there is a alianware link. it has always linked to the main alianware website. but now it directs to

http://store.steampowered.com/hardware/alienware/

and the left "thing" is not on the alianware website! steambox? or am i just crasy

You are crazy. That is just the X51 on its side.

Half-Life 3 timed-exclusive on a SteamBox?  Hmmm...

It may be timed but it won't be an exclusive.

Steambox (or whatever they decide to name it) is a PC, not a new platform, so it won't have exclusives.

The first circle will probably be the reveal of the steambox, not sure what the second one will be, but the third circle will probably be a steam game exclusive for the PC/Steambox, since HL3 is a long shot, it might be either Portal 3 or L4D3. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

The first circle will probably be the reveal of the steambox, not sure what the second one will be, but the third circle will probably be a steam game exclusive for the PC/Steambox, since HL3 is a long shot, it might be either Portal 3 or L4D3. 

Whatever the case this is going to be an awesome week in terms of announcements. Valve and AMD are announcing new stuff

FX-6300 @ 4.1 MHz; Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo; XFX Radeon 7870 Core Edition; Arock 970 Extreme 3; Corsair CX600; Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 @1600MHz; Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Zalman Z9 Case

Asus U43F-BBA7; i5-460M @ 2.53GHz; Crucial 8GB(2x4GB) @1333MHz; Intel 520 120GB SSD

The cat has 5 whiskers actually. BOOM here goes your theory!... Just kidding :P People's creation to confirm Half Life 3 never fails to amaze me. Good job :D

HALF LIFE 5 CONFIRMED...

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

You are crazy. That is just the X51 on its side.

welp.... im sorry your right. i fail :D well we will know something in the next 16 minuts

Are you freaking kidding me, another timer? Grr.. ok off to read what they are saying and then later have to eat my outrage :D

[Edit]

Yip, thought as much, having to eat my outrage lol

So a Steam OS... didn't I suggest that is what this could have been in a post some place? Any way, great idea, if Devs take it up that is

Edited by Ethnod
Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly