Man accidentally 'deletes his entire company' with one line of bad code

Taurolyon

HAHAHAHAAHAHA
RIP :D

OMG I'm so mean :D

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

Sounds like the kind of thing I would do

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

11 hours ago, unidentical said:

Guaranteed he didn't swear. Mistakes that you swear about are small ones.

When he saw what happened he probably went dead quiet, jaw slack, might have puked a bit, probably cried.

Brain lag/freeze for 5 seconds to catch up and swallow what happened. After the swallow, he felt the heartbeat that he never felt before and then he realised he is in deep shit which was no joke.

omg. 

And people thought deleting system32 was bad. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

32 minutes ago, bigneo said:

Brain lag/freeze for 5 seconds to catch up and swallow what happened. After the swallow, he felt the heartbeat that he never felt before and then he realised he is in deep shit which was no joke.

Had that feeling when a user opened up cryptolocker on his desktop and I saw it proliferating into our nas via a mapped drive. Ran to the network closet and ripped out the patch to the nas. 

I got half the data. Thankfully I make daily backups. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

We used to have a ~65YO engineer who deleted our entire part number directory, not once, not twice but three times in the last 4 years.

Obviously all of that is backed up, in our case hourly, so we only really lost ~1.5 hours of work, but still. We'd all be working and try to open another part and suddenly there was nothing in our folders... Mother Fucker.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Honestly, a command like that shouldn't even be possible. If it's going to wipe EVERYTHING, EVERYWHERE, there should be some sort of confirmation - I know, he used the switch to override the normal confirmations, but still - there should be a backup for that kind of command.

But still - it seems it was his own fault.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Knowing I have many custom bash scripts running across many customers application servers, I won't be executing any 'rm -rf' command without having some sort of error-checking. Things can get real ugly real quick, could be anything from variables not expanding as you imagined, you use wrong format and/or parameters for the command or whatever.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

5 hours ago, bigneo said:

tfw when i accidentally wipe my main drive... yesterday

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

What's that I smell? *sniff sniff*

Oh, it's a very strong scent of bullshit.

I don't know which version of rm he uses but it have had a fail-safe for this for ages. It just does not work.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Honestly, a command like that shouldn't even be possible. If it's going to wipe EVERYTHING, EVERYWHERE, there should be some sort of confirmation - I know, he used the switch to override the normal confirmations, but still - there should be a backup for that kind of command.

But still - it seems it was his own fault.

There is a fail-safe. But even if that didn't exist it would still have been 100% his own fault, and we should not have to implement things to stop this idiocy.

1) He ran it as root for some reason.

2) He deliberately wrote the script so that it would automatically confirm the action without any warning.

3) He did not have any checks in place to prevent deleting everything.

4) He did not define the variables before using them, which is an extremely basic thing you should always, always, always do.

5) There was no testing in a safe environment involved. "Yeah, let's run this script which includes code for deleting files, and let's run that on all our backup server without ever having tested the script".

It's not just one fuck up he did, it was 5.

It's like pouring gasoline over yourself, then go lie down in your bed which is made out of 100% dry hay, and then try to light a cigarette with a flamethrower. It's not so much an "accident" as it is natural selection.

And the award for the biggest fuck-up of the year goes to...