intel i3 6100 vs athlon II x4 860k. please help settle this debate

Go to solution Solved by NumLock21,

Core i3 is better. Your friend is outdated :P

hey all, i was wondering which cpu should i use? im building a gaming computer and i plan on using the r9 380 4gb gpu. my friend is saying the athlon is better and that the i3 is not worth it. what is your take on this?

thanks ahead of time

i3 is better by around 15%

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

12 minutes ago, Sorce said:

hey all, i was wondering which cpu should i use? im building a gaming computer and i plan on using the r9 380 4gb gpu. my friend is saying the athlon is better and that the i3 is not worth it. what is your take on this?

thanks ahead of time

I3 if you can afford it without skimping out on everything else.

14 minutes ago, Sorce said:

thanks ahead of time

Is this a new build? Have you already bought the parts?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

9 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Is this a new build? Have you already bought the parts?

planning on a new build.

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

What the budget, what country are you in and do you need any peripherals, the OS and a monitor?

This

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

What the budget, what country are you in and do you need any peripherals, the OS and a monitor?

US, 24in monitor 1080p

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

You forgot to say the budget :P

i can spend the extra 70$ for the motherboard and cpu, what im asking is WHICH is BETTER. sorry for the caps, just emphasizing it.

Core i3 is better. Your friend is outdated :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, Sorce said:

i can spend the extra 70$ for the motherboard and cpu, what im asking is WHICH is BETTER. sorry for the caps, just emphasizing it.

I meant budget for the whole thing.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, Sorce said:

No, what´s your max. you can spend?

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

No, what´s your max. you can spend?

1million dollars.

no but in all seriousness price isnt the issue. the issue is which one is better. the extra $70 isnt an issue.

3 minutes ago, Sorce said:

1million dollars.

no but in all seriousness price isnt the issue. the issue is which one is better. the extra $70 isnt an issue.

I still mean budget for the entire thing.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

5 minutes ago, Sorce said:

1million dollars.

If price isn´t the issue, 5960x with quad titan x.

For single or dual-threaded things, the i3 hands-down.  Plus you have the capability of popping an i7 in there, while the AMD platform is pretty much end-of-the-line. 

AMD fan boy here: I hate to say it, but go Intel. I hate the term bottle neck, but I currently run a 6350 and there is a noticable difference between stock 3.9 and overclocked to the 4.2 turbo clock. Had budget not been an issue I would have went with an i3 or i5. For reference I run an R9 280X, 12GB of DDR3 1333 and (currently) stock 6350.

860k is great if you want to overclock on a budget however since AMD is launching a whole new line of CPUs later this year its kinda pointless. The i3 has better single and multicore performance anyways.