Pc build for arma

Cantaloupeman

If I buy an intel i7 6700 will the graphics card make a difference. I have a galaxy gt750. I would like to put that in a pc with an i7 6700. How well would that run arma?

1 minute ago, Cantaloupeman said:

If I buy an intel i7 6700 will the graphics card make a difference. I have a galaxy gt750. I would like to put that in a pc with an i7 6700. How well would that run arma?

Yeah it will. ARMA 3 is a terribly optimized game that uses basically none of your gpu or cpu and still tanks in framerate. That being said, they have optimized it a little bit, but I believe more cpu power is better in ARMA. 

ASU

12 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Yeah it will. ARMA 3 is a terribly optimized game that uses basically none of your gpu or cpu and still tanks in framerate. That being said, they have optimized it a little bit, but I believe more cpu power is better in ARMA. 

Badly optimized, or Just demanding?

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

So basically I have a cheap pc with AMD A10 5700 quad core and Radeon hd 7660D graphics but no dedicated card I get about 15-23 frames on most servers. Is it possible at all that I could run it at at least playable frames?

3 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Demanding

ARMA 3 uses like 30% of my CPU and GPU and still doesn't get a consistent 60 FPS.

ASU

14 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

So is there any way that you can get a good 40-60 fps in game? And also is my galaxy gt750 any good? I got it a long time ago to playa lego harry potter game on my windows xp computer

2 hours ago, Cantaloupeman said:

So is there any way that you can get a good 40-60 fps in game? And also is my galaxy gt750 any good? I got it a long time ago to playa lego harry potter game on my windows xp computer

Well if you tune your settings right (don't go with the optimized settings from GeForce Experience) you can get above 30 consistently. But FPS is also dependent on how good the server you are connected to is. If you're on a shitty server, you'll probably be hanging in the 20 FPS range. However good servers can allow you to push 60FPS.

ASU

Uhmm why is this under Audio?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Oh crap I didn't notice I must have gotten so used to posting audio threads..... sorry

3 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

good servers can allow you to push 60FPS.

how do I tell what a good server is or do I have to enter it and try it out?

Just now, Cantaloupeman said:

how do I tell what a good server is or do I have to enter it and try it out?

Yeah, you have to try it.

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

Yeah, you have to try it.

Do amount of players make fps worst

1 minute ago, Cantaloupeman said:

Do amount of players make fps worst

Depends on the server. Like DMM is fine when there's like 5> players, but any more than that will cause lag and frame rate dips.

ASU

Here is the rub. Arma 3 needs sufficient GPU to be able to use a mix of high - ultra graphical settings, the reason being that different settings use varying amounts of the CPU and we want to minimise that. Somewhere around a 970 we see the point where we have sufficient GPU performance to do that, although more can be used to get access to better anti aliasing.

Worse than that is Nvidia is the better buy, because it has lower driver overhead when the game is CPU limited Nvidia cards pump out more frames.

The ideal CPU is actually the broadwell 5775C but those are hard to find and really expensive. The second best CPU is the i7 6700k and followed very closely behind by the i5. Arma likes clockspeed and the latest architecture. It also gobbles memory bandwidth as well, so you'll want to get 3000Mhz or more DDR4.

Finally it kind of needs an SSD due to the way it loads the world during each frame. If you don't get one it will cause a stuttering frame rate as you move and its a really awful effect.

Setting the graphics up is mainly about setting very high and then reducing the view distance to about 1800, then you ca get 50-90 fps on a server that doesn't use really performance sapping scripts.

27 minutes ago, BrightCandle said:

Somewhere around a 970 we see the point where we have sufficient GPU performance to do that, although more can be used to get access to better anti aliasing.

27 minutes ago, BrightCandle said:

Nvidia is the better buy, because it has lower driver overhead when the game is CPU limited Nvidia cards pump out more frames.

28 minutes ago, BrightCandle said:

Finally it kind of needs an SSD

So basically a NVidia card above the gtx970 will be the best I can do? And also can you explain what ssd is?

1 hour ago, Cantaloupeman said:

So basically a NVidia card above the gtx970 will be the best I can do? And also can you explain what ssd is?

A 970 is sufficient to run the game well, more is a bit better but the key take away is you need an absolutely top end CPU, as fast as possible. Arma isn't like other games, once you have enough GPU to run the low CPU overhead settings you then want the fastest CPU you can buy. An SSD is a Solid State Drive, a type of storage like a hard drive but considerably faster.

14 hours ago, BrightCandle said:

type of storage like a hard drive but considerably faster.

So basically the ssd physically takes the place of a hard drive. like I would get a ssd instead of a hdd?

8 minutes ago, Cantaloupeman said:

So basically the ssd physically takes the place of a hard drive. like I would get a ssd instead of a hdd?

Yes.