Skylake vs Sandybridge

Recently i decided to build a computer which would be used as a mini server. Since i had an old motherboard with a LGA1155 socket i decided to use i5-2400 processor. But out of curiosity i checked the differences between old gen cpu like i5-2400 and a new i5-6400. To be honest i didn't found any difference in speeds or technology used apart that a new cpu can use DDR4 ram. So a dilemma ocured to me, what is more worth it to buy an old i5-2400 and complete my build or save up money and build a pc with skylake processor?
P.S. The price is the lowest factor, i'm just curious if it is worth building a sandybridge cpu based pc or does skylake give way more benefits and power?

what is that server going to do?

skylake and sandy bridge have quite the difference in performance when it comes to the same clock speed, due to difference in architecture, and thus IPC

and having the advantage of using DDR4 will benefit in certain tasks due to higher memory bandwidth

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I recently upgraded and while i cant honestly say that i have tested games and such depending on your needs its a worthwhile upgrade. The IPC or instructions per clock are better and you gain on board graphics inside the chip its self, this is very useful if you have ever had a gpu (die) and you need your computer up and going. If you like emulating like dolphin or pcx2 it is a major upgrade, along with the support for the latest "stuff" like usb-c or ddr4. In cpu bound games will see a little-to big noticeable difference depending on the game, I would say all and all that it would be a sufficient upgrade i did it went big and happy too.

“Does Yggdrasil drink from it because it is the Well of Wisdom, or is it the Well of Wisdom because Yggdrasil drinks from it?” 
― J. Aleksandr WoottonHer Unwelcome Inheritance

CPU Intel 6700k @4.7ghz  Motherboard Asus Rampage Formula VIII RAM 16gb (4x4) Corsair Dominator Platinums GPU Evga Hybrid 980ti

Case ThermalTake X71 Storage 512gb 950 Samsung M.2 PSU 1000Hxi Corsair Cooling 115i Corsair CLC 280mm
Operating System Windows 10 64bit

U got motherboard with Vcore control ?
Because U can lower Vcore on Sandy and the power usage will goes down like a rock + it's cheaper than Skylake.

What things that server will do for U ?
Is it a glorified NAS ?

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

The Skylake will also use considerably less power as well its a much more efficient CPU.

5 minutes ago, BrightCandle said:

The Skylake will also use considerably less power as well its a much more efficient CPU.

Not really, power efficiency just means it will just use less power for the same amount of performance. If they were the same performance, higher power efficiency would mean Skylake was using less power, but they're not the same performance.

The server is going to be more like a test bench for new 2016 server as well as probably a cloud server or a NAS (not sure yet). So that means there are going to be 2 virtual machines up and running mostly at the same time. (Note that the load for them will be max 5 users at the time)

Noise won't matter because it would stay in a rack with other servers that produce a lot of noise.