FX-8350 good for gaming?

Go to solution Solved by Sintezza,

Realy depends from game to game.

But the FX8350 will definitely be a stepup in some area´s.

Of course we still talk about the same cores, and similar clockspeeds.

But the FX8350 still hase 4 fpu´s instead of only 2 on the FX43xx.

This means in games that are properly codded to use more threads will definitely see a benefit.

For the rest it also depends which gpu you use, and at which resolution you are playing.

If you have a decent AM3+ board, then i think that it might be worth it to simply upgrade to a FX8350, for certain games like GTA5, Watchdogs, Battlefield etc, and some other new AAA games.

If you motherboard is not decent enough, then it would be better to save money and go either intel, or wait for zen.

im planning to upgrade my cpu from a 4350 to an 8350. Is this processor good for games like gta 5 etc.?

(Please no intel recommendations)

Red (Soon to be Retired)CPU: FX-8350 Cooler: CM 212 Evo  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz Mobo: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 SSD: Kingston 128 GB (Boot), Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB (Main Games) HDD: WD Black 1 TB (Storage + Older Games) PSU: EVGA W1 500W Monitor: Dell ST2220l 21.5". Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Keyboard, Razer Deathadder Mouse, SteelSeries mosepad, 

Just now, Aytex said:

Why no intel?

Don't think OP fancies having to buy a new mobo as well.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Im running an 8350 Black edition and it works great for anything I throw at it! I play ARK and BF4 at ultra all day long.

6 minutes ago, DGB said:

im planning to upgrade my cpu from a 4350 to an 8350. Is this processor good for games like gta 5 etc.?

(Please no intel recommendations)

In most games, you won't see any huge differences between the 2. Main difference will come from clock speeds.

You would see improvement on multi-tasking though. Like, watching a Twitch stream while gaming.

GTA V doesn't exactly use more than 4 cores all that well. It requires more of a strong single core performance across 4-6 cores.

There is SOME games where the difference can be big, but they are rare.

Don't waste your money on getting 8350.

If you need more space for multi-tasking, get a used 6350 or 6300 and overclock it if your motherboard and cooler is up to it. 

I have the FX-8350 paired with 2 R9 280 OC Edition's and I can run most games I play at Ultra/Max settings. Usually the only issue I run into is te air cooled GPU's getting too hot, so I have to drop the graphics a little. I'm sure once I watercool them I'll be able to crank everything to the max.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

4 minutes ago, sapphirethunder said:

In most games, you won't see any huge differences between the 2. Main difference will come from clock speeds.

You would see improvement on multi-tasking though. Like, watching a Twitch stream while gaming.

GTA V doesn't exactly use more than 4 cores all that well. It require more of a strong single core performance.

the reason is because the 4350's cores are equal to Celeron cores which are pretty bad so the 8350 has 4 pieced cores that will work way better for a game that requires 6 fx cores or 3 pieced  cores. it plays extremely bad on the 4350 because of the 4 fx cores or 2 pieced cores.

Red (Soon to be Retired)CPU: FX-8350 Cooler: CM 212 Evo  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz Mobo: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 SSD: Kingston 128 GB (Boot), Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB (Main Games) HDD: WD Black 1 TB (Storage + Older Games) PSU: EVGA W1 500W Monitor: Dell ST2220l 21.5". Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Keyboard, Razer Deathadder Mouse, SteelSeries mosepad, 

It's not terrible, but I wouldn't buy one in 2016. Save up for a proper upgrade, with a modern motherboard with features worthy of this decade.

6 minutes ago, DGB said:

the reason is because the 4350's cores are equal to Celeron cores which are pretty bad so the 8350 has 4 pieced cores that will work way better for a game that requires 6 fx cores or 3 pieced  cores. it plays extremely bad on the 4350 because of the 4 fx cores or 2 pieced cores.

4350 and 8350 use exactly the same cores. Only difference is that 8350 has twice the amount of 4350's. 4 more cores won't do anything if you are playing a game which won't use more than 4 cores properly. With GTA V, you would see improvement. But you would see same improvement with FX-6350.

Just find a used FX-6300/6350 for 50-60$ and save up for Intel/AMD Zen. 

the 8350 has the same core performance as your current CPU

i would suggest saving up and switching to an i5/i7 instead of spending a bunch on a 8350 for only an improvement in games that use 5+ cores

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

My 8350 was fine in most games, like Frostbite 2/3 games (Battlefield/Battlefront,) Unreal engine games, Cryengine games, and some Source games. ARMA 2/3 kills it, Gamebryo games aren't great on it. It destroys Indie games like a charm.

I used to be quite active here.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

the 8350 has the same core performance as your current CPU

i would suggest saving up and switching to an i5/i7 instead of spending a bunch on a 8350 for only an improvement in games that use 5+ cores

switching to intel spends more than replacing a cpu with the same socket. intel cost much more and their motherboards are more expensive than am3+. so I would save way more just upgrading. plus some graphics cards won't bottleneck as bad as with the 4350

3 minutes ago, DGB said:

switching to intel spends more than replacing a cpu with the same socket. intel cost much more and their motherboards are more expensive than am3+. so I would save way more just upgrading. plus some graphics cards won't bottleneck as bad as with the 4350

That is true to some extent, but most of the difference in that comes from  higher L2 cache amount.

EDIT: the stock 4350 actually has 100Mhz higher clockspeed than stock 8350.

2 minutes ago, DGB said:

yeah, thats why you should save up and eventually switch

if you buy a 8350 you will be out $150 that you could have saved

you only need $200-300 to switch to intel, a lot of people sell used i5s/i7s for cheap that perform far better than a 8350

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The 8350 will get you exactly the same performance as the 4350 in games which don't use more than 4 cores (which are the majority and will stay this way for a longer time).

The investion would pay off only in case you are doing more things simultaneously or do render stuff often. 

I would prefer to OC the hell out of the 4350 and invest some money in a cooler, in order to improve the gaming experience.

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

yeah, thats why you should save up and eventually switch

if you buy a 8350 you will be out $150 that you could have saved

you only need $200-300 to switch to intel, a lot of people sell used i5s/i7s for cheap that perform far better than a 8350

im only really upgrading for 50$ because I have a warranty on the 4350.

5 minutes ago, DGB said:

im only really upgrading for 50$ because I have a warranty on the 4350.

If your cpu is still working, you can't get it through warranty.

1 hour ago, dim_eos said:

The 8350 will get you exactly the same performance as the 4350 in games which don't use more than 4 cores (which are the majority and will stay this way for a longer time).

The investion would pay off only in case you are doing more things simultaneously or do render stuff often. 

I would prefer to OC the hell out of the 4350 and invest some money in a cooler, in order to improve the gaming experience.

it will get better performance on games that require more than 6 or 8 fx cores, as game specifications ask for either a 6 or 8 core from AMD

20 minutes ago, DGB said:

it will get better performance on games that require more than 6 or 8 fx cores, as game specifications ask for either a 6 or 8 core from AMD

Those specifications are not always right. Actually they are very rarely right.

They just match the closest ones if possible or the most powerful ones. Without caring about single core performance.

Like, FX-8350 is often the recommended one because it has similar multi-threaded performance as i5 4690k. But they fail to take in consideration that it is only because of 8 cores, when the game actually is fine with 4.

Just looking at specifications is bad.

3 minutes ago, sapphirethunder said:

Those specifications are not always right. Actually they are very rarely right.

They just match the closest ones if possible or the most powerful ones. Without caring about single core performance.

Like, FX-8350 is often the recommended one because it has similar multi-threaded performance as i5 4690k. But they fail to take in consideration that it is only because of 8 cores, when the game actually is fine with 4.

yes but when it says it needs 4 cores, it is talking about full cores. 8 AMD-FX cores are equivalent to 4 full cores.

7 minutes ago, DGB said:

yes but when it says it needs 4 cores, it is talking about full cores. 8 AMD-FX cores are equivalent to 4 full cores.

Actually no, it is still equivalent of 8 cores. But because of the weird architecture and scheduling, it can work either as 4 core/8thread or 8core 8 thread cpu.

It all comes down to how game has been made. Usually all games just see them as individual 8 cores.

Thus if game has been made to use 8 cores, it will use them. But most of the time they still use only 4-6 cores.

Realy depends from game to game.

But the FX8350 will definitely be a stepup in some area´s.

Of course we still talk about the same cores, and similar clockspeeds.

But the FX8350 still hase 4 fpu´s instead of only 2 on the FX43xx.

This means in games that are properly codded to use more threads will definitely see a benefit.

For the rest it also depends which gpu you use, and at which resolution you are playing.

If you have a decent AM3+ board, then i think that it might be worth it to simply upgrade to a FX8350, for certain games like GTA5, Watchdogs, Battlefield etc, and some other new AAA games.

If you motherboard is not decent enough, then it would be better to save money and go either intel, or wait for zen.