Nvidia reveals key GP100 Pascal details at GTC 2016 (610mm2, 15.3B transistors, 300W TDP, 3584 cores, 1480MHz boost clock)

tareyza
21 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

02:27PM EDT - Chip on Wafer on Substrate, the largest such chip ever made blah blah blah deep learning

02:28PM EDT - And that's a wrap

02:31PM EDT -  ''Bolt me a freaking display port on the back of that thing i need to play arkham knight on that shit'' --- Jen-Hsun Huang

02:33PM EDT -  ''i still can't run that fucking smoke at 60FPS man!! you fucked up! '' --- Jen-Hsun Huang

02:35PM EDT -  ''also... 300W? really?! '' --- Jen-Hsun Huang

MY FOOD IS READY!

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

7 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

It tells you nothing. The Tesla K80 uses 2 GK 210s which are cut down as well, and that's on the 28nm process with very high yields. If anything, this says Nvidia is confident AMD won't be able to compete.

Actually it tells us a lot. NVidia's strategy is to push out Pascal and HBM out first on the professional market, at very high margins (kinda what they did with the Titan's too). As these chips are huge and on a new node, the entire point is to pump out as many chips as possible (remember their AI server uses 8 p100 chips), so it's more important to have a lot of chips that are cut down a little, than have full fat chips.

The point is not that TSMC has worse yields than GloFo, just that NVidia wants this chip out on a high margin market afap (løl).

As for K80 it was not a good card. The Hawaii based Firepro cards were much faster after all.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Notional said:

Actually it tells us a lot. NVidia's strategy is to push out Pascal and HBM out first on the professional market, at very high margins (kinda what they did with the Titan's too). As these chips are huge and on a new node, the entire point is to pump out as many chips as possible (remember their AI server uses 8 p100 chips), so it's more important to have a lot of chips that are cut down a little, than have full fat chips.

The point is not that TSMC has worse yields than GloFo, just that NVidia wants this chip out on a high margin market afap (løl).

As for K80 it was not a good card. The Hawaii based Firepro cards were much faster after all.

I'm afraid the leading authorities on compute beg to differ. AMD's FirePro cards only boast a theoretical advantage. Their OpenCL drivers are still terrible. Until AMD starts producing far better numbers in LinPack, you cannot say their compute performance is better.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

3 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Thermi resurrected?

Looks like it is, another thing I noticed is that chip is very big. And it doesnt look like nvidia can make a bigger chip with that hbm 2 size constraint. I always though that 14nm would increase density, but it doesn't seem to have increased it. 

One thing I'm interested in, now that a lot of people have whined about Hawaii and it's TDP: Are they going to whine about Pascal p100 being 300w tdp, which is worse?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

To make sure, these are not consumer grade chips, correct?  These are for professional and scientific applications?

29 minutes ago, Zah said:

To make sure, these are not consumer grade chips, correct?  These are for professional and scientific applications?

Yes. GP100 doesn't have any ROPs or Polymorph engines, meaning this part is aimed suqarely for the HPC market.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

13 hours ago, Notional said:

One thing I'm interested in, now that a lot of people have whined about Hawaii and it's TDP: Are they going to whine about Pascal p100 being 300w tdp, which is worse?

Of course not. nVidia can do no wrong.