Is 750w enough for a build or 850w is needed?

RaTheWitcher

I'm building a gaming/ programming pc with the intention of overclocking a 5820k to 4.5Ghx and gtx 980 ti to 1500 mhz at best 

So far i thought m12ii 750w psu is gonna be enough, but a few psu calculators show that the usage will around  700w.

My question is: If at load I'm not over 750w, should i get a 850w psu or not?

Here's the build plan: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xYBr99

Here's the results: http://outervision.com/b/ccNRHz

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

650W is enough for any single-GPU config. 850W would be good if you were to add another 980ti later.

you beat me to it, exactly what I was going to say

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

650w is not enough when under load it eats 685w and i dont want sudden shutdowns.

I have 750w for my rig (as you can see below) and it powers all of it even with a massive overclock on my cpu.

Main Rig

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.9ghz | MotherBoard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero | GPU: EVGA SC GTX Titan OC'd | Case: 750D AirFlow Edition  | Power Supply: Corsair CX750M | RAM: G.Skill RipJaws V 4x8gb 32gb @ 2133mhz | Cooling: Corsair H115i GTX | Storage: 2 x WD Blue 2TB HDD

Girlfriend's Rig:

Spoiler

CPU: fx-6300| MotherBoard: Asus M5A97 | GPU: EVGA SSC ACX 2.0+ GTX 960 2GB | Case: Deep Cool Tesseract | Power Supply: Corsair CX500M | RAM: 8GB | Cooling: Hyper 212 EVO | Storage: 1 WD Blue 1TB HDD 

8 minutes ago, RaTheWitcher said:

650w is not enough when under load it eats 685w and i dont want sudden shutdowns.

Trust me, that will not use 685w under load. Power calculators are very inaccurate, and they almost always give you a way overestimated answer. A 5820k and a 980ti should use less than 500w at full load, even overclocked.

I used to be quite active here.

5 minutes ago, RaTheWitcher said:

As we always have to say on this forum, power calculators are absolute trash and you shouldn't use them. For reference, two non overclocked 980tis and a 4790k draw 550W under max load. 650W is more than enough for one single GPU. 850W is the recommended wattage for two 980tis. The Seasonic M12 is good, but you can get the EVGA GQ 650W for less money.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Trust me, that will not use 685w under load. Power calculators are very inaccurate, and they almost always give you a way overestimated answer. A 6700k and a 980ti should use less than 500w at full load, even overclocked.

a 5820k***

Just now, RaTheWitcher said:

a 5820k***

Thanks! Just fixed my post.

Still the exact same answer. It won't use more than 500w under load, even overclocked. People have used R9 290's on 500w just fine.

I used to be quite active here.

13 minutes ago, RaTheWitcher said:

No it doesn't. Every calculator out there is shit that tries to compensate for terrible PSUs.