Childish Side of the Internet

Liam-Wabbit

I've noticed a slightly childish, snappish side to this forum

Not every one can afford to buy the latest technology
Not every one knows how to use a computer

and when people come on here for advice , or even just to display a new system (new to them ?)
even if it a K6 AMD running win95
they don't need to see nasty comments in the threads
comments like

"new? that platftform is 2 years old"
"Did you just want to reach 300 posts? xD"

people don't need that ! if you can't say anything nice ! well you know the saying

If you know more about computer than the person posting, help them, don't run them down !

there has been a point in all our lives where we have had to scrimp for a gaming computer
or didn't know how to install software ect. There also been a point where we have had to ask for advice

I guess it is to do mainly with the attractiveness of @LinusTech's content to a younger audience. Like my self. You are right forums like Tek Syndicate are much mature and understanding unless it comes to Windows.

There's gonna be childish people anywhere you look, really.

also yer mum

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

1 minute ago, beach_boy98 said:

I guess it is to do mainly with the attractiveness of @LinusTech's content to a younger audience. Like my self. You are right forums like Tek Syndicate are much mature and understanding unless it comes to Windows.

It doesn't have to do with a person's age, sometimes. I've seen many cases where it's a younger user who doesn't know something that is bashed by an older user. In-fact, I've seen more cases like that than younger kids bashing older kids when it comes to the internet. Perhaps that's just because I'm on the "younger" side and I've been bashed more than I have bashed.

8 minutes ago, Liam-Wabbit said:

and when people come on here for advice , or even just to display a new system (new to them ?)
comments like

people don't need that ! if you can't say anything nice ! well you know the saying

If you know more about computer than the person posting, help them, don't run them down !

there has been a point in all our lives where we have had to scrimp for a gaming computer
or didn't know how to install software ect. There also been a point where we have had to ask for advice

I feel like this thread was needed. There have been countless occasions where someone will say something wrong and get hate. Even after accepting they were wrong. A simple "that's not correct, here -" would be fine. But no, instead it's "omg no completely wrong, you're so stupid, EVERYONE knows that -"

You get the point.

Also, I personally sometimes back down from asking for advice sometimes, simply because I cannot be arsed to deal with the snarky, stuck up, superior acting, replies from some of the members.

2 hours ago, beach_boy98 said:

Yeah. Sometimes egos can run a little amok here. 

Something I've noticed is that there always seems to be a labeled "bad guy" on this forums. It used to be victorious secret, then Patrick for a while... Just strange. 

Another thing about forums maturity. I recently took up residence on the Ark community forums, and it's genuinely surprising how Civil 90% of the people are there. Ofc, like on any game forum there's always the shit post "ur games broke" but even then the community handles it well. 

The other thing about forums that I like is that you can form opinions on people based solely on their personality. The old saying goes about books and covers. On forums there is no cover, just straight into the story. It's taught me to be a  lot more open minded. 

I haven't spent much time on teksyndicate, so I can't comment there. 

2 hours ago, theninja35 said:

Perhaps that's just because I'm on the "younger" side and I've been bashed more than I have bashed.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

I either have a strong sense of irony or am very immature. Your mother is still deciding. :P

- snip-

19 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I remember when I was asking for parts for my xeons and opterons.  Everyone is like, "No get an i5!"  Um, my main rig has a 4790k, I don't need a weaker i5 when this is for servers. xD 

but the i5 has better graphics

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

But, the xeons and opterons have crossfire and sli support.

oh

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

I'm joking.  It's for a server, so graphics don't matter.  Xeons and Opterons have more computing power. xD 

the i5 can go up to 4.5 gigahertz which is more than the xeon or opteron

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Speed isn't overall performance.  In a server situation an i5 is not ideal.  If we were to use the pure processor speed logic than a 9590 is the absolute must CPU.  In a server situation, it's about multi cpu support backed by thread/core count.  An i5 can only be used on its own and has 4 cores.  2 functioning server processors backed by 12 cores/threads at once totalling to 24 cores/threads is going to outperform the i5 in that situation.  Yes, there are situations where the i5 will be better, but not when it comes to a server.

oh

You're going to get childish people everywhere, though. The only way to avoid childish people on the internet is to never use the internet, ever.

I haven't been on this forum too long, but it already seems far more mature than other places with similar content.

CPU: i7-4790K 4.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS Z-97K | GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 980 Ti
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR3-1866 CL10 | SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid-Tower | KB/M: Logitech Orion Spark G910/Razer Naga Epic

The only childish thing that I've seen that actually annoys me is when someone pretends to be something they most clearly are not. For example, someone claiming to have a technical or engineering background but can't answer even the most basic technical question about the field they are supposedly in. Even worse if they manage to convince anyone because now you have people taking advice from someone who hasn't a clue what they're talking about. It's painfully obvious to those of us that actually do have such a background.

5 hours ago, Liam-Wabbit said:

comments like

Did you just want to get your 302nd post? Is that what this is?

No, but all jokes aside I have to agree.  People need to learn a little more respect with regards to others builds or ideas.  If you really don't like it, then you don't have to post something. 

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

Laptop:   Razer Blade Stealth 2016

Reading this, I've decided I'll try and be nicer. I'm not sure if I'm one of those people, but I'm going to do my best to make up for what others do.

3 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

For me it's more the he said she said logics of forums over any form of experience, which is similar, but there are heavy exaggerations when it comes to AMD's FX processors, not the best, but still there have always been a he said she said feel about them.  "Oh, you're going to get massive frame drops in everything!"  Um, what?  Sorry, fanboys just piss me off. xD 

I feel your pain. People in the forum have a tendency to decide what is better then everyone just repeats it even when their is little to no evidence to back it up. I just wish people used actual benchmarks and such to backup their claims.  

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

3 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Hopefully they use real world application ones over pretty synthetics. xD 

One can only dream. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

35 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

For me it's more the he said she said logics of forums over any form of experience, which is similar, but there are heavy exaggerations when it comes to AMD's FX processors, not the best, but still there have always been a he said she said feel about them.  "Oh, you're going to get massive frame drops in everything!"  Um, what?  Sorry, fanboys just piss me off. xD 

Yeah, people will always use exaggerations and straw man arguments to try and prove their points. Just ends up making them look silly to me. And usually when I just stop responding. Not worth the time.

I've flat out seen people on forums claim to be an engineers and stick with the story even though their answer to the question asked was dumber than a box of hammers. Never realized my job was such a status symbol :P

On 4/4/2016 at 1:21 PM, beach_boy98 said:

Eh fuk windows kek kek I'm a Linux fanboy /s

Seriously though idgaf whether it's Windows, OS X or Ubuntu. They're all good OSes.

Well like I mean I'm 16, this forum hasn't seemed childish. It has just seemed sort of like a ghost town where you'll sometimes get someone to chit chat with in a PM or a Thread or a Status Update for a little bit but then the interest dies down.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization