1tb HDD vs 480gb SSD

Hi. I'm currently selling most parts from my old system to a friend. He is good for all of it except for the storage. I'm selling him a unboxed but never used 480gb SanDisk Ultra II for $100 that was originally more than bobble that. I'll just never use it coz I have three more like it sitting around. He wants to buy a 1tb low end HDD like a Seagate Barracuda or a WD Blue. He will have some video and photos going through for both consumption and editing. Otherwise he will be gaming a bit (switching from console) and general web browsing. I have reccomended that he gets the SSD now and saves up for a 1tb WD Blue later. 480gb should be heaps for now. I just wanted him to have a look at this thread so I have some backing of my claim. Cheers :) 

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

heyya, I'm new to this forum, but i had to comment on this one. i don't think that there is a time that i would ever suggest that a customer (or friend) buy and hd, over an ssd. EVER. unless said person is underfunded and looking for a value item. otherwise, youre going to get the best of the best from an ssd.

6 minutes ago, BurblingBarbacoa said:

Hi. I'm currently selling most parts from my old system to a friend. He is good for all of it except for the storage. I'm selling him a unboxed but never used 480gb SanDisk Ultra II for $100 that was originally more than bobble that. I'll just never use it coz I have three more like it sitting around. He wants to buy a 1tb low end HDD like a Seagate Barracuda or a WD Blue. He will have some video and photos going through for both consumption and editing. Otherwise he will be gaming a bit (switching from console) and general web browsing. I have reccomended that he gets the SSD now and saves up for a 1tb WD Blue later. 480gb should be heaps for now. I just wanted him to have a look at this thread so I have some backing of my claim. Cheers :) 

i have a 480gb ssd in my laptop and it has been fine, currently it has Photoshop, Premier, Visual studio 2015, steam, and 20 games including csgo, Office 2013 and a lot of personal crap and it is only half used, running windows 7 "For Life" 

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

SanDisk Ultra II is TLC NAND - fuck that shit

get something on MLC or get a Samsung 850 series

That's not the point. It's more of a SSD vs HDD situation. This thread is nothing but a tool to back my argument. 

Also so I already have the SSD laying around and he is getting it very cheap. True the 850 evo is better but the Ultra II is fine for him and is kinda unnessisary to point out.... :/ 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

12 minutes ago, BurblingBarbacoa said:

That's not the point. It's more of a SSD vs HDD situation.

TLC NAND is suffering greatly from cell voltage drift and in couple of months you will see read speeds lower than those of a HDD, so .. what's the point?!

if you're gonna spend money, do it wisely - that's why you asked us for advice here

all planar TLC NAND based SSDs are shit, maybe except Intel's; Intel has implemented wear leveling in their products, but that translates into lower life span of the cells

---

if you want to screw your friend over, then it's the perfect choice

Edited by zMeul

3 minutes ago, BurblingBarbacoa said:

That's not the point. It's more of a SSD vs HDD situation. This thread is nothing but a tool to back my argument. 

Also so I already have the SSD laying around and he is getting it very cheap. True the 850 evo is better but the Ultra II is fine for him and is kinda unnessisary to point out.... :/ 

i don't want to assume anything of your friend, because were all friends here... right?? lol. anyway, but i see he or she may not be of the same thinking because some of the determining factors for me would be in the longevity of device, and things like cell drift (as mentioned above). BUT, none of that would truly matter in a case in which the person had plenty to spend.

but

considering that your argument to your friend is that you believe that ssd's are a better choice for him:

1.shock resistant (not proof)

2. read/write speeds can be of a higher rate (much higher)

3.less noise production being that there aren't any physically moving bits inside an ssd

Con: could possibly cost more.....

end of discussion.

give him the "laying around ssd"

or, if he he doesn't want it, send it to me!!!! lol

21 minutes ago, zMeul said:

TLC NAND is suffering greatly from cell voltage drift and in couple of months you will see read speeds lower than those of a HDD, so .. what's the point?!

if you're gonna spend money, do it wisely - that's why you asked us for advice here

all planar TLC NAND based SSDs are shit, maybe except Intel's; Intel has implemented wear leveling in their products, but that translates into lower life span of the cells

I have a Corsair Force 3 240GB.  I believe it is TLC.  I am seeing reduced speeds after two years of continued use:

I should mention, I don't notice the performance loss in day to day use.  Still snappy.

NuZctSc.png

Do you know if formatting and reinstalling the OS would bring speeds back up?  I will try eventually anyways, but I figured I would ask. 

...and on topic... get the SSD.

Just now, stconquest said:

I have a Corsair Force 3 240GB.  I believe it is TLC.  I am seeing reduced speeds after two years of continued use:

Do you know if formatting and reinstalling the OS would bring speeds back up?  I will try eventually anyways, but I figured I would ask. 

...and on topic... get the SSD.

that's not how you test for degradation, CrystalDiskMark writes new data and reads it

you need to use software like HD Tune or the older HD Tach that reads the existing data

---

if you're seeing degradation, you need to do a secure erase on that SSD

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

that's not how you test for degradation, CrystalDiskMark writes new data and reads it

you need to use software like HD Tune or the older HD Tach that reads the existing data

---

if you're seeing degradation, you need to do a secure erase on that SSD

Ah, okay thanks.  I don't notice any loss in performance.  I just decided to try Crystal Mark for the hell of it.

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

how did you test it?!

I didn't.  I meant just using the PC.  Powering it up, loading into windows, playing games and such.  I can't feel any performance hit.  The drive is rated to be 500+MB/s seq. read/write... I figured if that took such a hit then the random read/writes might be suffering too.  Again, I don't notice it when using the PC though.  The drive is getting old, so my mind tells me it might die one day soon... it could last for years longer though.

just to let you guys know, (of course you probably already know this but heck with it!) those seq write speeds aren't going to be something super definitive when it comes to ssds. maybe if you were moving tons of data at all times, but not when using as a boot drive, and accessing bits of data here and there. youll notice the speeds in comparing responsiveness. just an fyi.

35 minutes ago, zMeul said:

how did you test it?!

maybe post the result here

ps: Force Series™ 3 is MLC, not TLC http://www.corsair.com/en/force-series-3-240gb-sata-3-6gbps-solid-state-hard-drive

I was looking at this page.  In the graph, it had MLC next to the drive:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_force_3_120gb_ssd_review,8.html

1 hour ago, BurblingBarbacoa said:

but like i said, friend, youre right in telling your friend that he should choose an ssd. no matter what the test or situation is, he WILL in fact notice a performance boost, especially in situations that do in fact depend on read and write speeds. oorah for the ssd!

1 hour ago, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

especially in situations that do in fact depend on read and write speeds. oorah for the ssd!

is not about the read/write speeds as is for very fast access times

in sequential read/write scenarios where no huge files are involved, HDDs can fill the gap just fine

where SSDs shine is random read/writes

11 minutes ago, zMeul said:

is not about the read/write speeds as is for very fast access times

in sequential read/write scenarios where no huge files are involved, HDDs can fill the gap just fine

where SSDs shine is random read/writes

you are very much right. where random read/write is involved, ssds do excel. they excel in pretty much every aspect.

heres a breakdown, of the pros  of an SSD, and an HDD.IMO of course, and to the average consumer:

SSD PROS -Speed: This is where SSDs shine. An SSD-equipped PC will boot in seconds, certainly under a minute. A hard drive requires time to speed up to operating specs, and will continue to be slower than an SSD during normal use. A PC or Mac with an SSD boots faster, launches apps faster, and has faster overall performance. Witness the higher PCMark benchmark scores on laptops and desktops with SSDs, plus the much higher scores and transfer times for external SSDs versus HDDs. Whether it's for fun, school, or business, the extra speed may be the difference between finishing on time or failing.

Fragmentation: Because of their rotary recording surfaces, HDD surfaces work best with larger files that are laid down in contiguous blocks. That way, the drive head can start and end its read in one continuous motion. When hard drives start to fill up, large files can become scattered around the disk platter, which is otherwise known as fragmentation. While read/write algorithms have improved to the point that the effect is minimized, the fact of the matter is that HDDs can become fragmented, while SSDs don't care where the data is stored on its chips, since there's no physical read head. Thus, SSDs are inherently faster.

Durability: An SSD has no moving parts, so it is more likely to keep your data safe in the event that you drop your laptop bag or your system is shaken about by an earthquake while it's operating. Most hard drives park their read/write heads when the system is off, but they are flying over the drive platter at hundreds of miles an hour when they are in operation. Besides, even parking brakes have limits. If you're rough on your equipment, an SSD is recommended.

Noise: Even the quietest HDD will emit a bit of noise when it is in use from the drive spinning or the read arm moving back and forth, particularly if it's in a system that's been banged about or in an all-metal system where it's been shoddily installed. Faster hard drives will make more noise than slower ones. SSDs make virtually no noise at all, since they're non-mechanical.

Form Factors: Because HDDs rely on spinning platters, there is a limit to how small they can be manufactured. There was an initiative to make smaller 1.8-inch spinning hard drives, but that's stalled at about 320GB, since the phablet and smartphone manufacturers have settled on flash memory for their primary storage. SSDs have no such limitation, so they can continue to shrink as time goes on. SSDs are available in 2.5-inch laptop drive-sized boxes, but that's only for convenience. As laptops become slimmer and tablets take over as primary Web-surfing platforms, you'll start to see the adoption of SSDs skyrocket.

HDD PROS-Availability: Hard drives are simply more plentiful. Look at the product lists from Western Digital, Toshiba, Seagate, Samsung, and Hitachi, and you'll see many more HDD models than SSDs. For PCs and Macs, internal HDDs won't be going away completely, at least for the next couple of years. You'll also see many more HDD choices than SSDs from different manufacturers for the same capacities. SSD model lines are growing in number, but HDDs are still in the majority for storage devices in PCs.

Maximum and Common Capacity: SSD units top out at typically a VERY MUCH SO less number than an HDD. Multimedia users will require even more, with 1TB to 4TB drives as common in high-end systems. Basically, the more storage capacity, the more stuff (photos, music, videos, etc.) you can hold on your PC. While the (Internet) cloud may be a good place to share these files among your phone, tablet, and PC, local storage is less expensive, and you only have to buy it once.

NOTE- A LARGE PORTION OF WHAT IVE WRITTEN HERE HAS BEEN QUOTED, FOR THE SAKE OF SAVING TIME!

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

except price/Gb - they suck really hard

That gap is closing fast though :) 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Just now, BurblingBarbacoa said:

That gap is closing fast though :) 

you're assuming HDDs won't go down,why? ;)

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

except price/Gb - they suck really hard

lol, that's the one thing i decided to leave out, due to the fact that the originator of this thread is pretty much GIVING away the SSD to his friend