need help/advice!

Ricky507

I'm looking for a box that takes lan connection and converts it to a WiFi signal what would you call it access point I'm really not sure

CPU i5 4690K @ 4.20 GHz  | GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB | HDD : 1TB HDD Seagate  | Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 Mid-Tower ATX | PSU Corsair Builder Series CXM 600W Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Certified  | Mobo ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z97-K  | RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 901MHz

2 minutes ago, Ricky507 said:

I'm looking for a box that takes lan connection and converts it to a WiFi signal what would you call it access point I'm really not sure

What you would be looking for is an access point as you said, depending on what you are looking for something like this is a good solution:

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

5 minutes ago, Ricky507 said:

Yes you want an access point or if you want to run it through your house from your router and have another access point across your house using the copper wiring already existing in your house you want a power line adapter kit with wireless access point. (For this you will need a 1 Ethernet cable)

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

never use powerline if you want over 100mbps

It is not just TP-LINK but other too because of the electrical interference. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

10 hours ago, W-L said:

What you would be looking for is an access point as you said, depending on what you are looking for something like this is a good solution:

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

Would this work NETGEAR EX2700-100UKS Mini 300 Mbps WiFi Range Extender (Wi-Fi Booster) - Silver https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NIUHAG6/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_E7JaxbHHB37QP I'm looking for something cheap I just have a small deadzone in my house but I'm wondering is that land in or land out connection on that if it lan in I should be fine yeah?

CPU i5 4690K @ 4.20 GHz  | GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB | HDD : 1TB HDD Seagate  | Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 Mid-Tower ATX | PSU Corsair Builder Series CXM 600W Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Certified  | Mobo ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z97-K  | RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 901MHz

3 hours ago, Ricky507 said:

Would this work NETGEAR EX2700-100UKS Mini 300 Mbps WiFi Range Extender (Wi-Fi Booster) - Silver https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NIUHAG6/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_E7JaxbHHB37QP I'm looking for something cheap I just have a small deadzone in my house but I'm wondering is that land in or land out connection on that if it lan in I should be fine yeah?

Yes it will work, just note that range extenders tend to halve the speed of your connections when extended most times making it a bit less desirable compared to say an access point. If you have an old router laying around just as another option it can be reconfigured in bridge mode to work as a wireless access point.

OK thanks

18 hours ago, W-L said:

Yes it will work, just note that range extenders tend to halve the speed of your connections when extended most times making it a bit less desirable compared to say an access point. If you have an old router laying around just as another option it can be reconfigured in bridge mode to work as a wireless access point.

Wait I don't think that will work because that needs to connect to an existing WiFi network I want it to get internet from Ethernet then make new WiFi signal 

4 hours ago, Ricky507 said:

Wait I don't think that will work because that needs to connect to an existing WiFi network I want it to get internet from Ethernet then make new WiFi signal 

If you want a completely new wifi signal then your looking into an access point or setting up a router in bridge mode in that case. Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure most range extender units can't directly setup as a new SSID and extend at the same time. 

On 04/04/2016 at 5:50 PM, mcraftax said:

never use powerline if you want over 100mbps

It is not just TP-LINK but other too because of the electrical interference. 

Powerline and WiFi don't derive their numbers in the same way that Ethernet does. They add UL and DL together for what they could in theory get with lab conditions. So it's unfair to say that TP-Link are "misleading" people. Not without also pointing to literally every other WiFi, Powerline, Coax or any other similar device on the market and doing the same.

You're never going to go over 100Mbps on an AV500 powerline kit. You might get around 200Mbps or so if you're plugging the thing into an adjacent socket but I'm willing to bet that 99.99% of people don't use it like that. Most people are going to be at least a room away and probably use it on the other side of the house. In which case they'll get 75Mbps or so. Same deal with the Ubiquiti AP that was linked, their page says "300Mbps" but it only has 100Mbps ports.... because they know 1Gbps would be a waste.

@Ricky507

I'd suggest you have a good look at Ubiquiti's stuff. I'd recommend going with one of their wireless AC models just to give you a bit of flexibility. If the price is too high then you can drop down to one of their N models. If even that price is too high? Do a bit of research because there are some consumer options that'll do the job. I know D-Link have a few options that are widely available and fairly cheap.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing