SSD caching

ZeusXI
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,
5 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

windows doesnt automatically make a rapid mode without some software i think. I can see a rapid mode difference with my Evo 850 when i turn rapid mode, i see a HUGGGEE difference in speed. is there a way to do that to an M.2 ssd?

It's not a RAPID mode like Samsung's, but Windows does automatically cache data into RAM.

I have a Transcend M.2 128GB, and I was wondering, can I use RAMDISK to make a type of rapid mode or something to help speed it up any? I have 16GB of RAM so Im able to use lots of it if need be. 

Just now, mikat said:

windows doesnt automatically make a rapid mode without some software i think. I can see a rapid mode difference with my Evo 850 when i turn rapid mode, i see a HUGGGEE difference in speed. is there a way to do that to an M.2 ssd?

1 minute ago, ZeusXI said:

can you just use the samsung disk magician that came with your 850 evo?

Just now, mikat said:

can you just use the samsung disk magician that came with your 850 evo?

You arnt understanding....Im trying to get a Transcend M.2 128GB with rapid mode. 

Just now, mikat said:

yes, but can you try if the samsung software works with the transcend SSD?

I have tried. It says it isnt able to do it

5 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

It's not a RAPID mode like Samsung's, but Windows does automatically cache data into RAM.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Windows assumes SSD's don't need boost. I found a way around this by using "Eboostr" along with ramdisk. ramdisk creates a drive in ram. eboostr can use upto 4 places to boost your stuff. eboostr can use usb, ssd, hd and ram. I currently have a eboostr using a raid, ramdisk and ram. my boot drive is a sata2-ssd. If you use this setup keep an eye on ram temps.

This would make a good Video for the channel. hint, nudge. :)

ScreenShot_20160402195348.png

19 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I have 2 front 120mm fans blowing in. If I really need to, I can add another 120MM fan since it would blow right over the ram, but my front mounted rad blows air outwards and covers the whole motherboard (intakes it cold and I literally have no overheating problems with the motherboard since the airflow is constant and goes right over easily with no obstructions)

1 minute ago, ZeusXI said:

I have 2 front 120mm fans blowing in. If I really need to, I can add another 120MM fan since it would blow right over the ram, but my front mounted rad blows air outwards and covers the whole motherboard (intakes it cold and I literally have no overheating problems with the motherboard since the airflow is constant and goes right over easily with no obstructions)

What?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

What?

I have a front 240mm radiator with 2 120mm fans that kinda blow in a wide arc if that makes sense. I have no overheating problems with my cpu or mobo.

7 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

I have a front 240mm radiator with 2 120mm fans that kinda blow in a wide arc if that makes sense. I have no overheating problems with my cpu or mobo.

Wrong thread.

enable superfetch in that case

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

works great with or without superfetch, however superfetch is hard on ssd's which is why windows doesn't think ssd's require boosting. eboostr allows you to spread the load to any drives in your system to allow for buffering. ramdisk uses ram as a drive and can cause overheating issues. if it is constantly accessed. proper air flow in my system takes care of the issue but it seems to be the only downside to using ramdisk. therefore keeping an eye on temps can save a-lot of money, just to make sure your cooling system is adequate.