Does this build suck?

Go to solution Solved by DaltonM,
25 minutes ago, Console Gamer said:

Looks like a good build! I'm not sure I can spend that much, but I'll definitely take it into consideration! I'll also do a bunch of studying about CPUs (they're my weak spot) 

You can change the SSD to an HDD and cut the price of that in half

Hello everyone, I am new to PC building (and this community) and am not sure if PcPartPicker will be enough help for me when I make my first build.

I am planning all of my games (Minecraft, G-Mod, GTAV, Day-Z, TF2, Dead Realm) at 1080p, High settings with an acceptable frame rate (over 50fps). I don't really want to spend more than $800, and am open to overclocking.

Here is my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bNTXCJ

The reason I picked a 1x stick of 8gb instead of 2x 4gb is because I want to upgrade to 16gb in the future.

Should I keep my CPU as it is, or should I spend $20 more to get an FX-8350? I don't want to upgrade unless it will improve my performance a pretty good amount (more than 15%)

Thanks so much for the help, it REALLY means a lot to me :D

Just for fun, do you guys have any good names for it? I was thinking of "Red Fury," but that sounds pretty overkill.

P.S. I know there isn't a disk drive to install W10, but I'm getting one for free so I didn't put it in.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($51.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($28.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I Epic Edition (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $772.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-30 15:35 EDT-0400

Get windows cheaper from r/microsoftswap or kinguin.com

1 minute ago, mikat said:

it doesn't suck, looks pretty reasonable, but if you can wait a little, there are some new AMD CPUs coming out in a couple of months :)

Sounds great, thanks for the advice :) Depending on how much the CPUs will cost, I'll probably wait. Still open to suggestions

5 minutes ago, Console Gamer said:

Hello everyone, I am new to PC building (and this community) and am not sure if PcPartPicker will be enough help for me when I make my first build.

I am planning all of my games (Minecraft, G-Mod, GTAV, Day-Z, TF2, Dead Realm) at 1080p, High settings with an acceptable frame rate (over 50fps). I don't really want to spend more than $800, and am open to overclocking.

The reason I picked a 1x stick of 8gb instead of 2x 4gb is because I want to upgrade to 16gb in the future.

Should I keep my CPU as it is, or should I spend $20 more to get an FX-8350? I don't want to upgrade unless it will improve my performance a pretty good amount (more than 15%)

Thanks so much for the help, it REALLY means a lot to me :D

Just for fun, do you guys have any good names for it? I was thinking of "Red Fury," but that sounds pretty overkill.

P.S. I know there isn't a disk drive to install W10, but I'm getting one for free so I didn't put it in.

You could do better with the PSU, and it being $800 budget, probably better overall. I'd suggest waiting for the next gen. of cpus to come out, I believe they're on their way.

It took me 3 seconds to see an AMD CPU and say it sucks. 

Go intel or wait, AMD chips for gaming are going to be obsolete in record time. 

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

-SNIP-

Only thing I would change is going to a single 8gb stick but other than that good build.

Just now, beach_boy98 said:

Only thing I would change is going to a single 8gb stick but other than that good build.

Great, thanks! I chose a single 8gb because I would like to upgrade to 16gb in the near future.

5 minutes ago, Console Gamer said:

The motherboard has 4 memory slots. There is no reason not to go with a 2x4GB memory kit. You will be able to add another one later to get to 16GB total.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Just now, brob said:

The motherboard has 4 memory slots. There is no reason not to go with a 2x4GB memory kit. You will be able to add another one later to get to 16GB total.

Lol didn't realize that! Thanks so much!

Thanks so much for the help! I'm learning a lot more about what I should change with my build :D

9 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

It took me 3 seconds to see an AMD CPU and say it sucks. 

Go intel or wait, AMD chips for gaming are going to be obsolete in record time. 

Thanks for the feedback, I chose AMD because it's less expensive :)

Just now, Console Gamer said:

Thanks for the feedback, I chose AMD because it's less expensive :)

More expensive in long run when you have to upgrade more. You should spend more money making a platform where you only need yo upgrade your GPU.

Splurg on the best CPU you can get, 16gb of RAM, a good PSU with head room, and MOBO with all the features you want/need and spend remainder of budget on GPU

2 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

More expensive in long run when you have to upgrade more. You should spend more money making a platform where you only need yo upgrade your GPU.

Splurg on the best CPU you can get, 16gb of RAM, a good PSU with head room, and MOBO with all the features you want/need and spend remainder of budget on GPU

Sounds good! I'll consider that when I'm making my final changes

Just now, Console Gamer said:

Sounds good! I'll consider that when I'm making my final changes

CPU: Get at least a quad core CPU. The 4690k is a great chip, at stock speeds it's still a few years from being a bottleneck. There's really no reason the gamer only user should upgrade to skylake and DDR4. Sure the Skylake 6600k is only like $50 more expensive, but then MOBO and RAM is too. 

Another thing about an unlocked chip that makes it a better value is that when it becomes a bottleneck, you can OC it to get more years of gaming out of it. 

GPU: I also suggest a video card with at least 4gb of VRAM. 2gb is the norm today, but it's going out of style, most games need or will run better with more than 2GB. 

PSU: Also gamers need at LEAST a 500w PSU, don't bother with anything lower. You can save a few bucks by going semi or non modular. 

RAM: You can get by with 8gb of RAM if you just want to game. GTA V at ultra maxed out is like the only game that pushes a full 8GB of RAM. If you have 2 screens and want to use youtube while gaming, you'll need 16gb. 16gb is norm, will last for years, if you can't swing it now, get 1 8gb stick now, and 1 8gb later.

When PC gaming, you DONT want to get cheap parts, it's just a money pit. Your system will be frustratingly out of date for the sequel to the game you want to play. You should put yourself in a position where you only need to buy a new GPU every few years or when you want more power.

Buying cheap parts now means more cheap parts later on. 

CPU: Get at least a quad core CPU. The 4690k is a great chip, at stock speeds it's still a few years from being a bottleneck. There's really no reason the gamer only user should upgrade to skylake and DDR4. Sure the Skylake 6600k is only like $50 more expensive, but then MOBO and RAM is too. 

Another thing about an unlocked chip that makes it a better value is that when it becomes a bottleneck, you can OC it to get more years of gaming out of it. 

GPU: I also suggest a video card with at least 4gb of VRAM. 2gb is the norm today, but it's going out of style, most games need or will run better with more than 2GB. 

PSU: Also gamers need at LEAST a 500w PSU, don't bother with anything lower. You can save a few bucks by going semi or non modular. 

RAM: You can get by with 8gb of RAM if you just want to game. GTA V at ultra maxed out is like the only game that pushes a full 8GB of RAM. If you have 2 screens and want to use youtube while gaming, you'll need 16gb. 16gb is norm, will last for years, if you can't swing it now, get 1 8gb stick now, and 1 8gb later.

When PC gaming, you DONT want to get cheap parts, it's just a money pit. Your system will be frustratingly out of date for the sequel to the game you want to play. You should put yourself in a position where you only need to buy a new GPU every few years or when you want more power.

Buying cheap parts now means more cheap parts later on. 

This helped me a lot, I'm DEFINITELY going to change my PSU. I already chose a GPU with 4gb, but it's good knowing that what I chose was a good choice. The CPU I chose has 8 cores and is 3.5GHz. Should do the job.

1 minute ago, Console Gamer said:

This helped me a lot, I'm DEFINITELY going to change my PSU. I already chose a GPU with 4gb, but it's good knowing that what I chose was a good choice. The CPU I chose has 8 cores and is 3.5GHz. Should do the job.

Not all cores are the same. Games need higher single core performance, and AMD is better at spreading work loads. 

Seriously though, Intel super outperforms AMD CPUs right now. Maybe they have something better coming out later, but for gaming, don't get AMD. 

Here's a build that reflects my ideology. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bWrJvK

No CPU cooler, you can buy that when you want to OC.

1 Stick of RAM, but another later.

Larger SSD to hold OS and the games you want to play daily. But a 1tb HDD later

Note this has no OS 

No GPU, I'll let you pick one with the remainder of the budget.

Keep in mind I put an mATX mobo there so it's a smaller form factor. I use this MOBO and CPU. 

Not all cores are the same. Games need higher single core performance, and AMD is better at spreading work loads. 

Seriously though, Intel super outperforms AMD CPUs right now. Maybe they have something better coming out later, but for gaming, don't get AMD. 

Here's a build that reflects my ideology. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bWrJvK

No CPU cooler, you can buy that when you want to OC.

1 Stick of RAM, but another later.

Larger SSD to hold OS and the games you want to play daily. But a 1tb HDD later

Note this has no OS 

No GPU, I'll let you pick one with the remainder of the budget.

Keep in mind I put an mATX mobo there so it's a smaller form factor. I use this MOBO and CPU. 

Looks like a good build! I'm not sure I can spend that much, but I'll definitely take it into consideration! I'll also do a bunch of studying about CPUs (they're my weak spot) 

25 minutes ago, Console Gamer said:

Just now, DaltonM said:

Cool, will do!