Can someone explain to me the limits of Intel Turbo Boost?

I just got a Xeon E3-1231v3, and it can boost up to 3.8GHz. It says on Intel's website that Turbo Boost is designed to boost single-core performance, but I'm pretty sure I've heard somewhere that with some BIOS trickery or something, you can make multiple cores get boosted at once. Is this really a thing? And if so, would it benefit me in applications like After Effects and 3D Studio Max?

it increases the clock rate on all cores, which improves the performance of all cores, which makes each core perform better, although if you have all cores perform better you get better multi-core performance because when all cores do stuff they are all faster.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Just now, suchamoneypit said:

it increases the clock rate on all cores, which improves the performance of all cores, which makes each core perform better, although if you have all cores perform better you get better multi-core performance because when all cores do stuff they are all faster.

Isn't it only the first core that hits the advertised max boost clock speed? I was looking at my BIOS and by default the multipliers for each core are x39 x38 x37 x36. Perhaps it has been changed after the Sandy Bridge series? i7-2700K base 3.5 boost 3.9.

2 minutes ago, ybriK said:

Isn't it only the first core that hits the advertised max boost clock speed? I was looking at my BIOS and by default the multipliers for each core are x39 x38 x37 x36. Perhaps it has been changed after the Sandy Bridge series? i7-2700K base 3.5 boost 3.9.

i dont think thats correct. It would be silly to only boost one core, it would make manual overclocking infinitely better if boost only boosted one core. When my 5820k is at stock and it boost to the 3.6ghz all my cores show as doing so, and when doing a manual OC to 4.7ghz, all cores do so. I do have my cores set to sync Ratio's though, but thats a default option (at least on my mobo)

I have never overclocked pre-Sandy Bridge CPUs though so I cant be sure.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

turbo boost is just on the fly overclocking based on load. It is just limited by your chip, so if you increase the multiplier to your turbo boost limit, it will boost all cores to that clock speed instead of only 1. That is assuming your chip can handle it at those volts.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

13 minutes ago, fireclaw316 said:

BIOS trickery or something, you can make multiple cores get boosted at once.

Yeah its called overclocking

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

16 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yeah its called overclocking

Xeons can't be overclocked. Unless you count adjusting the bclk.

11 minutes ago, fireclaw316 said:

Xeons can't be overclocked. Unless you count adjusting the bclk.

i know that

i was telling OP that boosting all the cores at once is called overclocking

i assume he already knows he cant OC a xeon with multiplier

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

i know that

i was telling OP that boosting all the cores at once is called overclocking

i assume he already knows he cant OC a xeon with multiplier

I'm the OP.

5 minutes ago, fireclaw316 said:

I'm the OP.

lol i dont read :D

Spoiler

The idea is the less total power the CPU is using, the higher it can set the clocks in turbo. On a quad core with one core active, 3 idle, it will boost the most. 2 active 2 idle, it will boost a bit less. I think you get the idea. That's why the turbo clocks drop as more cores are loaded. The turbo mode can offer a limited overclock effectively, in that some bioses can set the 4 core turbo clock to be higher than standard. I don't know the exact requirements to do this, but for example one of my systems has an i5-4570s CPU which is 2.9 GHz base, but the Asus H81M-Plus mobo it is in will run it at 3.2 GHz all 4 cores active.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible