$400 CAD for an Upgrade

Go to solution Solved by Dabasepc,

You could wait for pascal to come out, its right around the corner. 970 will drop price.

i would buy an i5 and wait for the graphic card.

Current Build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Bobby_Joe_90/saved/pHhfrH

I want to upgrade something that will boost performance. A GPU or CPU upgrade. I would like to upgrade both the CPU and GPU if possible because i can sell an i3 4170 for $100 CAD and a gtx 950 for $150 CAD effectively giving me $650 for an upgrade. If i upgrade the CPU but don`t quite have enough money for a GPU upgrade i could wait a bit until summer for the upgrade. I was thinking of getting the GTX 970 and either an i5 4460 or a Xeon e3 1231. 

3 minutes ago, Bobby_Joe_90 said:

Current Build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Bobby_Joe_90/saved/pHhfrH

I want to upgrade something that will boost performance. A GPU or CPU upgrade. I would like to upgrade both the CPU and GPU if possible because i can sell an i3 4170 for $100 CAD and a gtx 950 for $150 CAD effectively giving me $650 for an upgrade. If i upgrade the CPU but don`t quite have enough money for a GPU upgrade i could wait a bit until summer for the upgrade. I was thinking of getting the GTX 970 and either an i5 4460 or a Xeon e3 1231. 

PSU upgrade before anything. Then look into other stuff.

You could wait for pascal to come out, its right around the corner. 970 will drop price.

5 minutes ago, Dabasepc said:

i would do the same.

i5-4460/4590 and wait for a GPU/PSU upgrade next.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I'd honestly recommend a mobo/cpu upgrade. Like to an H97 board and a  i5 4460. The  i5 4460 will do fine on your current board an H97 is just a better option for it or any chips higher than the 4460. If you do just upgrade the CPU you could probably afford to throw in a SSD for a decent price as well. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

38 minutes ago, Bobby_Joe_90 said:

Your system is pretty fine overall

get an SSD potentially and then just save the rest of your cash up or buy a better primary display

if you need more CPU performance go for a Xeon 1231v3 unless you need an iGPU

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Machine needs a SSD.  Anything built after 2008/2009 or so should have a SSD put in it unless one is absolutely sure that the system is "CPU-bound".  SSDs *really* do make that much of a difference. 

A SSD can be moved to a new(er) machine when/if you decide to upgrade more.