Old PC parts: Got any creative ideas?

Nicktrance

Both my parents and my GFs parents are throwing out their old PCs and some random old PC hardware they had lying about. I figured I'd take them apart and see what's worth keeping and what interesting stuff I could do with them.

Here's the stuff from our old PC (excuse the bad camera quality):

Krr6L2P.jpg

Asrock K7S8X Socket 462 motherboard (And a removable motherboard tray, that's something you don't see much any more... pity the motherboard doesn't seem to be removable from the tray :lol:)

XFX Geforce FX 5200 AGP 8X GPU

Hitachi Deskstar 120GB IDE drive

256MB + 512MB DDR400 RAM

AMD Athlon XP 2600 socket A/462 (1.9GHz) CPU

And here's some random stuff:

JFJzFum.jpg

ECS P6bat A+ Slot1/socket 370 Motherboard

Pentium!!! 667 (667MHz) Slot 1 CPU

Creative CT4810 Sound Card

I also have two SDR RAM modules 64MB and 128MB

I think I'll be keeping the old PSU for testing stuff and throwing away most of the rest of the stuff. I was thinking of making a keychain out of the Athlon CPU and running the HDD open because that would be cool. I'm open for suggestions what to do with these, though :D.

Either give it to me or make a KEYYYYCHHAINN

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I second the keychain.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

glue them to the wall!

- teamspeak.ltt-unofficial.com

- teamspeak.ltt-unofficial.net

- teamschnitzel.ltt-unofficial.com

- teamschnitzel.ltt-unofficial.net

cpu: Intel sandybridge-E 3930k @ 4.2Ghz

cooler: corsair h100 @ full speed push-pull

motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme

gpu: 2x EVGA GTX660's & 1x EVGA GTX980

ssd: 2x samsung 256GB 840 pro raid 0

ssd: 1x samsung 1TB 840 evo

hdd: WD green 3TB

hdd: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (st1000dm003)

hdd: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (st31000520as)

psu: corsair ax1200i

ram: 8x 4GB corsair platinum @1866mhz

case: coolermaster cosmos II

monitors Main: 8x LG 22EA53 1080p 60hz

monitor Extra: 1xiiyama prolite G2773Hs 1080p 120hz 27"

keyboard: logitech g19

mouse: corsair m60

Lenovo T550

RaspBerry pi webserver:

Nas:

StatusOffline.

PC straight to the modem/router/switch/DHCP-Server/... with a 20cm (+-8inch) cat6a patch cable because same price as cat5.

ISP: Telenet (belgium)

Speed: 60Down-4Up (+- 45€/month)

ping to there servers: +-8ms

ping to other Belgians: +-12ms

- wheels for cosmos II

I say necklace for ur girl 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

CPU - Keychain

RAM - Knife

Mobo - on the wall

Dell Inspiron 580 - Modified

Build log

Win 7 | GTX 760 | i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz | 2x2Gb 1333MHz Hyundai + 2x2Gb 1333Mhz Crucial RAM | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | HyperX Fury 120Gb | Corsair Builder 600M | Fractal R2 Mini

Both my parents and my GFs parents are throwing out their old PCs and some random old PC hardware they had lying about. I figured I'd take them apart and see what's worth keeping and what interesting stuff I could do with them.

Here's the stuff from our old PC (excuse the bad camera quality):

Asrock K7S8X Socket 462 motherboard (And a removable motherboard tray, that's something you don't see much any more... pity the motherboard doesn't seem to be removable from the tray :lol:)

XFX Geforce FX 5200 AGP 8X GPU

Hitachi Deskstar 120GB IDE drive

256MB + 512MB DDR400 RAM

AMD Athlon XP 2600 socket A/462 (1.9GHz) CPU

And here's some random stuff:

ECS P6bat A+ Slot1/socket 370 Motherboard

Pentium!!! 667 (667MHz) Slot 1 CPU

Creative CT4810 Sound Card

I also have two SDR RAM modules 64MB and 128MB

I think I'll be keeping the old PSU for testing stuff and throwing away most of the rest of the stuff. I was thinking of making a keychain out of the Athlon CPU and running the HDD open because that would be cool. I'm open for suggestions what to do with these, though :D.

Things this stuff would legitimately be useful for:

Router (pfSense)

NAS (FreeNAS 8.3.1)

... If you could find a way to give the motherboards more LAN ports as well as some SATA ports. But yeah. Both have the CPU/RAM to make those things work well.

Though it would be a terribly inefficient NAS/Router, as the power usage would be high. Older things need more juice to get more done, sadly.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

keep all of it

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Make a new ebay account, say it is a i7-4770, Asus formula X Extreme, GTX Titan, 16GB of ram and sell it for 2000€.

Send that **** and profit.

Delete ebay account.

- Sarcasm off -

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Keep it. In case your real PC will go to hell you can always use it as a backup for few days. Plus still should keep it hidden - thats the proof of gone era of PC's.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

keep all of it

I think I'll be keeping the older stuff and the GPU for a personal museum of sorts.

Keep it. In case your real PC will go to hell you can always use it as a backup for few days. Plus still should keep it hidden - thats the proof of gone era of PC's.

I have other, better PCs for blackup :P

Make a nostalgic win 95 system and play doom or duke nukem 3d on it.

Not really nostalgic if our first PC ran Win XP  :unsure: .

RAM Knife?

How about multiple RAM knives, so those RAM knives could be given to friends (preferably with good knowledge in tech)?

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Things this stuff would legitimately be useful for:

Router (pfSense)

NAS (FreeNAS 8.3.1)

... If you could find a way to give the motherboards more LAN ports as well as some SATA ports. But yeah. Both have the CPU/RAM to make those things work well.

Though it would be a terribly inefficient NAS/Router, as the power usage would be high. Older things need more juice to get more done, sadly.

AGREED :)

NAS is not really worth it with these old IDE drives and I don't really trust any of the components to run 24/7 anyway. That said my GFs old PC still runs relatively ok so I'm experimenting with some Linux Distros. I might experiment with pfsense just out of curiosity but I don't really have a place to put a mid tower PC permanently.

wat. that 2nd motherboard has a CPU socket and slot! 

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Make a new ebay account, say it is a i7-4770, Asus formula X Extreme, GTX Titan, 16GB of ram and sell it for 2000€.

Send that **** and profit.

Delete ebay account.

- Sarcasm off -

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

wat. that 2nd motherboard has a CPU socket and slot!

Yup, they're not meant to run at the same time if that's what you're thinking :lol:.

That's the plan, just noticed it has a brown stain right behind the die, it must have crapped itself in its old age :lol:.

Yup, they're not meant to run at the same time if that's what you're thinking :lol:.

Of course not, but it reminds me of boards that I have that have both SIMM 72 pin and DIMM slots, also I've had a board with AT power and ATX power. Odd boards that were in between standards.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

I think you should donate them or try to help someone else get use out of them. That is what my friends and I did a few years ago. We had semi-nice gaming machines and when we upgraded, we just donated the old ones to Iraq vets because we figured Iraq vets would be able to get more use out of computers than a vet from a previous era.

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case