How do I make Windows 10 feel like a console experience?

Aztec

Hi, I'd like to make Windows 10 feel like I'm on a game console for example having my games on a menu when I start the computer so I can instantly choose them. I hope that makes sense just Windows looks a little boring and I'd like to have quick access to my games. I've tried Steam full screen mode but the makes games lag. Any suggestions? Thanks! 

Well, if you want to make Windows 10 a console experience I do recommend a console controller and a wireless dongle while using Steam's Big Picture.  Another solid option would be to download the Steam OS although I do not recommend this entirely because: A.) You already spent money on Windows B.) Not as much compatibility with games.

11 minutes ago, Julian2000nl said:

Steam big picture and a Xbox controller.

Thanks is there a way to stop games from lagging when Steam big picture is running in the background?

3 minutes ago, Psycosis86 said:

You could pin the games to the start menu Like This. That guy used a 3 dollar program to set it up.

Thanks I'll look into it!

Just now, Aztec said:

Thanks is there a way to stop games from lagging when Steam big picture is running in the background?

I honestly do not know.  I do not experience this problem, as I don't really use big picture much. How much RAM do you have?

Steam Big Picture mode is the best option, as you can navigate your games library with your a game controller.

I highly recommend getting an XBox One Controller. Windows has the drivers built-in, and always ready to go (at least wired). You do need a wireless receiver if you use your controller wireless, or should I say, if you want to use it wirelessly with your system.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Xbox-Wireless-Adapter-for-Windows/productID.323761300

You can get them in a bundle and save a bit:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Xbox-Controller-and-Wireless-Adapter-for-Windows/productID.332539500

The adapter, you only need 1, it handles up to 8 controllers, which is nice.

(links above are Canadian site/prices)

Alternatively, if you have a keyboard/mouse setup, then you can pin your games to the start menu, and set your start menu to be full screen (tablet mode).

To do this, go to Start > Settings > Personalization > Start, and toggle: Use start full screen

Just now, SuperMonkey507 said:

I honestly do not know.  I do not experience this problem, as I don't really use big picture much. How much RAM do you have?

I have 16gb of DDR 3 RAM and 2GB of VRAM on my GTX 560TI but the CPU might be bottle necking it since it's an AMD 6600k APU or something.

2 minutes ago, Julian2000nl said:

Buying a better GPU is one option. 

I would if I could haha

Just now, Aztec said:

I have 16gb of DDR 3 RAM and 2GB of VRAM on my GTX 560TI but the CPU might be bottle necking it since it's an AMD 6600k APU or something.

So, you should be ok in terms of specs, although I am not really familiar with the CPU.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Steam Big Picture mode is the best option, as you can navigate your games library with your a game controller.

I highly recommend getting an XBox One Controller. Windows has the drivers built-in, and always ready to go (at least wired). You do need a wireless receiver if you use your controller wireless, or should I say, if you want to use it wirelessly with your system.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Xbox-Wireless-Adapter-for-Windows/productID.323761300

You can get them in a bundle and save a bit:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Xbox-Controller-and-Wireless-Adapter-for-Windows/productID.332539500

The adapter, you only need 1, it handles up to 8 controllers, which is nice.

(links above are Canadian site/prices)

Alternatively, if you have a keyboard/mouse setup, then you can pin your games to the start menu, and set your start menu to be full screen (tablet mode).

To do this, go to Start > Settings > Personalization > Start, and toggle: Use start full screen

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately my system slows down and games lag when running big picture mode for some reason but the last option sounds like a good idea! I'll also invest in that controller at some point.

Are you a console gamer turned PC? Or do you just want to play games on a tv?

I've turned from a console to PC gamer one year ago but I'd like that console feeling as it's a little boring/pain having to find the games through Steam as it's not as fun and I'd like it to be 'clear and in front of me' like a console experience if you get me. I have a dual monitor set up but I use my Mac for work and PC for games and 3d graphics.

1 minute ago, Aztec said:

I've turned from a console to PC gamer one year ago but I'd like that console feeling as it's a little boring/pain having to find the games through Steam as it's not as fun and I'd like it to be 'clear and in front of me' like a console experience if you get me. I have a dual monitor set up but I use my Mac for work and PC for games and 3d graphics.

Cool.  Im in full support of those enlightened by the PC Master Race.

Just now, Julian2000nl said:

Your CPU is a little bit outdated

Very true.  Not likely, but could be holding back the graphics card.

Cool.  Im in full support of those enlightened by the PC Master Race.

I mainly changed from console to pc since the graphics are better (depending on the specs) and it's more interesting the only downside is having to upgrade every now and then haha. 

Your CPU is a little bit outdated

Yeah I know. I want to go with Intel but I'd have to change my motherboard too and all money I get is going towards driving lessons and a Canon 70D.

2 minutes ago, Aztec said:

I mainly changed from console to pc since the graphics are better (depending on the specs) and it's more interesting the only downside is having to upgrade every now and then haha. 

well, welcome to the master race.

well, welcome to the master race.

Thanks haha oh also the great thing about it is no annoying 6 year olds screaming down the microphone in a middle of an online game telling me how they got with my mother hahaha.

Just get the AMD FX-6300 or wait for AMD Zen.

AMD is known for a lot of power for a low price. But it needs more cooling.

Okay thanks. My CPU is water cooled so cooling is fine.

2 minutes ago, Aztec said:

Thanks haha oh also the great thing about it is no annoying 6 year olds screaming down the microphone in a middle of an online game telling me how they got with my mother hahaha.

Well yea.  You can naturally expect a more mature playerbase here.