Security Camera Server

On 24/03/2016 at 10:40 AM, snortings said:

Hi,

I have a Swann DVR security system setup at my house. Recently about 6 people broke into my neighbours house and stole many items. Lately they have been returning around my house and what looks to be sussing out my house. 

Even with 8 security cameras, it doesnt seem to scare them off. I am worried that our house will be the next one to be broken into.

I am wanting a camera system that has off site backups, as whats the use of security cameras when people can just take the DVR itself with all the footage of a break in on it. Can someone recommend a server that has network access/remote viewing with 8 cameras? Also could someone recommend some sort of alarm system?

Thanks.

(Not really sure where this thread should go).

Using the 'Blue Iris' software I had several IP cameras set up in my high-burglary-risk inner city house which were recording on motion detection over the internet, to a remote server at my family home in a rural area.

When I was burgled, the cameras on motion detect recorded HD footage of the perpetrator's faces from multiple angles which, as it was recorded to my remote server over the internet, wasn't effected by the cameras' cables being ripped out and other hardware stolen. I was able to then deliver this footage to the police (who, as of one year later, still haven't done anything with it....).

The moral of this is no matter how elaborate your setup, thieves can and will still burgle you, and while your CCTV may help catching them, the damage will already have been done (e.g. all my doors were kicked through and I haven't seen my possessions since).

With that in mind, I'd focus on all the prevention methods possible. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the more light and noise you have the better, and maybe consider getting a dog :)

Almost as cool as my temps  

Derailing the thread a little...

Crime prevention and security is accomplished by multiple layers. In the end, without spending a fortune, all one can really do is to deter criminals and encourage them to look elsewhere.

Visible cameras are primarily a deterrent. Capturing something on video is just a secondary concern, but steps should be taken to ensure that the footage remains safe.

Interestingly enough, most homes and apartments are broken into by kicking a door followed by prying the door open. Breaking a window or a sliding glass door happens, but more rarely. Conversely, most retail shop break-ins are by breaking the glass to the entry door because the metal doors and frames of commercial buildings are much harder to kick in. Picking locks is nearly unheard of.

Visible alarm signs, an actual alarm system, tall fences, and lighting are all deterrents. A lot of people like building wood privacy fences with the "pretty" side facing in towards the house. This makes fences much easier to climb for people with nefarious intentions because the rails that hold the pickets are on the outside. One should also harden the house by reinforcing door frames, using solid doors instead of ones with glass, and locking up valuables in a safe. Dogs are pretty effective, too.

The average home burglar is looking for quick and easy. He will see the house with the cameras all over and alarm sign and move on to one without.

On 05/04/2016 at 2:16 PM, ideamaneric said:

That's... rough. Did you have insurance?

I just can't, for the life of me, figure out exactly how houses in other countries get burgled. Don't get me wrong, South Korea isn't all flowers and candies, but I've never seen a burglar break into a house before around this area, even if the said house was on the first floor. I live in an apartment.

I mean, it's more easier to steal from apartments. Sure, you get caught in the CCTV in the elevator but that's pretty much it. Once you're out in the stairwell, you can crack open doors and take as you please. In houses, there's CCTV everywhere, a fence, and another door, and possibly a guard dog. More neighbors could also look in, and look out for any burglars.

I once thought burglars picked locks, and that's how my digital door lock prevented them from going in, but now I know better. In Korea, they use this wrench that uses the theory of a seesaw (if I remember correctly) to effectively 'break open' a door with literally no force needed. It was on the news, and then there were these new line of products that promised they would make this way of theft ineffective.

I couldn't actually get insurance because of the area I lived in, so it's my own fault I guess xD

For me, they jumped over a neighbour's roof (terraced house in city) into an otherwise secure backyard (bypassing the large metal security door), kicked through the house's flimsier back door, and barred shut the front door while they were going about their business (in the middle of the day, and yes I caught this on camera). They then left through the rear metal door, leaving all the doors open for anyone else who maybe wanted a look inside xD

I'm pretty sure people don't burgle for fun, but rather out of financial need, which is why they're more common in places that aren't particularly wealthy.

Almost as cool as my temps  

My 2 cents: I work with security cameras on a regular basis. I really like Axis cameras and their free software you can grab from their site. I have deployed that setup in several locations. Another software that works well is ExacqVision, however it will run about 100 bucks a camera for licensing. As far as people getting to the DVR. I would suggest even hiding it in your attic or other spots where they won't be going. Usually a break in is a quick action. Something else to think of is using the mobile alerts in your software to send you a quick video snipet or image so even if they do grab the system brain you have the images on your phone. With a hidden system you could also add a battery backup and cellular radio so that even if power is cut or the network taken down it will still record and send data. A simple solution might be drop cams, as you can have those record to the net. 

7 hours ago, WigglesTheHoly said:

My 2 cents: I work with security cameras on a regular basis. I really like Axis cameras and their free software you can grab from their site. I have deployed that setup in several locations. Another software that works well is ExacqVision, however it will run about 100 bucks a camera for licensing. As far as people getting to the DVR. I would suggest even hiding it in your attic or other spots where they won't be going. Usually a break in is a quick action. Something else to think of is using the mobile alerts in your software to send you a quick video snipet or image so even if they do grab the system brain you have the images on your phone. With a hidden system you could also add a battery backup and cellular radio so that even if power is cut or the network taken down it will still record and send data. A simple solution might be drop cams, as you can have those record to the net. 

I agree about Axis cameras, they aren't cheap but they are great. Stay away from Drop Cam though - people have had issues since it came out with missing recordings and not being able to see their camera even on the same network when their network and internet connection were working perfectly fine. Also Drop Cam is part of Nest now who is owned by Google, and Google just announced they were completely shutting down the Revolve smart hub servers, which is another part of Nest. So if they did it to Revolve, Drop Cam may be next.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: