Add an SSD (sata 3) to an sata 1 port?

Lisa.Lisa

I have a 120GB SSD drive that I bought for my new computer build. But until I get all my components for my new build, I was wondering if I can start using my SSD in my old pc? I believe it just has a sata 1 port, so I know it will be slow, but it can't damage anything if I put it in, can it?

no, you'll just get reduced speed mostly

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

As long as its SATA your fine I believe.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

It will be fine,

It will just be very slow.

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

it would work but dont do it its a waste of money its just going to get bottle necked

IT WILL BE VERY VERY SLOW 

just save some money and get an hdd rather than an ssd it will still be VERY SLOW

2 hours ago, your_mother said:

it would work but dont do it its a waste of money its just going to get bottle necked

IT WILL BE VERY VERY SLOW 

just save some money and get an hdd rather than an ssd it will still be VERY SLOW

2 hours ago, Lisa.Lisa said:

I have a 120GB SSD drive that I bought for my new computer build. But until I get all my components for my new build, I was wondering if I can start using my SSD in my old pc? I believe it just has a sata 1 port, so I know it will be slow, but it can't damage anything if I put it in, can it?

@your_motherI recognize it will be slow, I've already bought it for my new build that I'm slowly collecting components for. 

Thanks for the responses!

Do you think it will be the same speed as my mechanical hard drive or a bit faster?

Just to note your response times will still be improved with an SSD even on SATA1. It is just the maximum speed which is limited to 150MB/s. Random I/O will also be much improved compared to an HDD. It will be the same sequential speed as the hard drive as both can likely max out the interface connection but in random loads the SSD will be much better than an HDD even if it still caps out at the low maximum of SATA1.

Basically loading programs/OS should be faster but file transfers will still be capped out at SATA1 speeds.

6 hours ago, Lisa.Lisa said:

~snip~

Hey there Lisa.Lisa,

Here's a bit info from me: all SATA drives should work on all SATA ports so you should't have problems with compatibility. I would check if the OS and the BIOS support TRIM. 
The SATAI 1.5Gb/s would limit the speeds of the SSD to about 150MB/s read/write but you would still have nearly instant access times and should perform better than an average HDD. 
You shouldn't have problems with the SSD for using it on an older SATA port and there shouldn't be any damage so you are safe. :)
Have in mind that once you get your new parts (motherboard included) you would need to make a fresh install of the OS as the old one won't work (at least not without a ton of problems).

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/