Asus RT-AC3200 vs D-Link DIR-980L

MadPug

I'm looking to purchase a quality router for improved range and performance, I'm currently using the ISP provided modem router and due to the house layout, the WiFi signal to my room is quite terrible (30mbps in the living room and under 10 mbps in my room). I'm looking to get a Tri-band router so that my ping in games doesn't drop when my housemates watch videos or stream movies online. After looking at lots of specs and reviews I've narrowed it down to the Asus RT-AC3200 and the D-Link DIR-980L. I was leaning towards the D-Link because you can reserve a whole 5Ghz frequency to your own and set a password on it if you disable Smart Connect, however the range doesn't seem to be very good from people's reviews. On the other hand, the Asus has outstanding range (3000+ square meters), but are you able to create a frequency for one device only and no one else can share that channel? Does anyone have any of these routers and can give me some opinions? Many thanks!

4 minutes ago, MadPug said:

I'm looking to purchase a quality router for improved range and performance, I'm currently using the ISP provided modem router and due to the house layout, the WiFi signal to my room is quite terrible (30mbps in the living room and under 10 mbps in my room). I'm looking to get a Tri-band router so that my ping in games doesn't drop when my housemates watch videos or stream movies online. After looking at lots of specs and reviews I've narrowed it down to the Asus RT-AC3200 and the D-Link DIR-980L. I was leaning towards the D-Link because you can reserve a whole 5Ghz frequency to your own and set a password on it if you disable Smart Connect, however the range doesn't seem to be very good from people's reviews. On the other hand, the Asus has outstanding range (3000+ square meters), but are you able to create a frequency for one device only and no one else can share that channel? Does anyone have any of these routers and can give me some opinions? Many thanks!

The 3200 router, it has 2 5 gigahertz channels which can help if you do a lot of wireless networking usage.

1 minute ago, Vezzeract said:

The 3200 router, it has 2 5 gigahertz channels which can help if you do a lot of wireless networking usage.

They both have two 5Ghz channels as they are both AC3200 Tri-band routers.

Just now, huilun02 said:

AFAIK with any router with multiple radios, each radio has their own SSID and password can be set individually.

Just get MU MIMO and you should be good.

The use case for triband routers are slim to none unless you got your own shanty town full of people at home.

Well there are 3 people in the house, doesn't a tri-band router help when 3 devices are connected to the network at the same time? For example with the D-Link DIR-890L, I could reserve one 5Ghz channel to myself and let the other 2 devices share the other 5Ghz channel, I'm just wondering if you could do that with the Asus RT-AC3200.

4 hours ago, MadPug said:

Well there are 3 people in the house, doesn't a tri-band router help when 3 devices are connected to the network at the same time? For example with the D-Link DIR-890L, I could reserve one 5Ghz channel to myself and let the other 2 devices share the other 5Ghz channel, I'm just wondering if you could do that with the Asus RT-AC3200.

Why would you buy such an expensive router for only 3 people?